Lego catalog for sale on Ebay....really???

never2old4lego

I have seen them plenty of times - but usually with the coupon, which is why they sell them.

Honestly, it will cost this person over a dollar to ship it. Not even worth the time. lol.

Ah...good point.  Of course, this one doesn't have the coupon...at least the one I got in the mail didn't, and I thought they weren't doing that anymore.  Still, wouldn't it just be easier to sign up to get the catalogs...for free?

Ah...good point.  Of course, this one doesn't have the coupon...at least the one I got in the mail didn't, and I thought they weren't doing that anymore.  Still, wouldn't it just be easier to sign up to get the catalogs...for free?

It is easier to sign up to get the catalogs for free. Much better method than buying them online. Even if it had the coupon, it would not be worth it because TLG does not allow you to use it one hard to find sets and exclusives.

Ok, am I just an idiot and I'm missing a coupon somewhere???  I didn't see anything in the catalog.

I do not think that you are missing anything. I got this catalog, and did not get a coupon  with it. The other catalogs for this year had coupons on the back, but you could not use them on exclusives.

eBay gives a non-store account 50 free listings per month; and on top of those, they regularly run free listing promos. People will put up individual dog kibbles since it costs nothing to list, and hope some dummy comes along and buys them.

LOL  My favorites are the one where you are buying...nothing!  They have a picture of a box, but the box is not included!  Who on earth bids on this stuff??

Guest eightbrick

Meh. I can see why someone would want a drool book (Yes, I'm going to call it a drool book. We all do it, no denying people  :D ) from the 1980s, 90s, or even 2005 but a current one seems sort of like a waste of time when they are stocked at Lego stores and you can get them online. I guess I'm going to put up this weeks Walmart, Home Depot, and Dr. Bernstein Flyer for sale and see if I get any bites...

And here I am, just giving these catalogs away after I'm done with them! I could be making big bucks!

Actually is there any demand for vintage Lego catalogs? I know there is for vintage Fisher Price ones. You know, when Little People were cool.

Yes there is. Nice mint ones from the 70s and 80s, even early 90s. So many of those catalogs have really awesome layouts with actual photography of sets making a scene like this:

LEGO-pirates-1992-catalog.jpgLego_1992_Castle_castfront.jpg

• Like 1

Yes there is. Nice mint ones from the 70s and 80s, even early 90s. So many of those catalogs have really awesome layouts with actual photography of sets making a scene like this:

Those spreads are great! I like seeing more than one set in the same scene.

So I guess my question is, is it worth hanging on to copies of recent Lego catalogs (for free!), because down the road there will be collectors who will want them? There's definitely the nostalgia of flipping through them, but from a collector's standpoint old catalogs are a great way to spot what elements from a set or series are missing from your collection. I recently got interested in Strawberry Shortcake dolls from the 80s (which by the way still retain their scent 35 years later...) while trying to replace a damaged doll out of my old childhood collection when passing it all on to my daughter. While searching for a replacement doll on eBay, I came across a promotional catalog (which probably came in the box), which I purchased. It's pure gold. Got to finally see all the playsets that I didn't even know existed when I was a child!

I would say no as everything can be found in high res online now. Those vintage catalogs are

very small and produce pretty terrible scans at best. I don't thing you'll see the demand for anything mid/late 90s on because of digitization.

What about catalogs from the 2000s? (Like the Star Wars and Harry Potter sets) Can we rely on these hi res scans to still be online in 10 years' time?

If you have the extra space there's no harm in holding them. If they're worth nothing in 20 years, they're firestarters. :-) I wouldn't purchase them to invest in, but if you have them for free anyway, why not?

Yeah, at least there's the nostalgia factor too :)

Ten years from now: "Oh hey look it's Lego Friends! Remember those?" "Oh right! I totally forgot about those. I should go dig up my old Olivia's House set and see how much it's worth on eBay!"

• Like 1