short amazon, long target

willy431

I was really dreading the loss of tax free shopping  at amzn that happened a few days ago in my state...as we reliably have a monthly spend with them of 1.5k or so.  We bought everything...even some foods and loved prices and prime.   Well son wanted swap force...and we spoil him absurdly...so wanted to buy it for him now instead of Santa.  Looked locally on phone as we were heading to stores and  it was  75 everywhere...65 on amzn....but now with tax and 2 days.  Went to tgt as I had  6 of those $10 cards from lego buys. 

Remembered someone mentioning price matching amzn at tgt....never price matched in my life but gave a shot.   Went to customer service and asked for a price match to amzn. She asked how much it was there and I said 64.  I started reaching  for the iPhone, but she scanned the set, typed in 64 and rang it up.  I asked  if she needed to see the phone and she said no. I had it out anyways ans mentioned that it was 64.99 not 64 and she said it didn't matter?  

So.....I've heard mixed messages here..  some say they do it at register....they do not at mine.  Some say they whip out ipads to check....not at mine.  Register girl said to go to desk and have it on phone in case they want to see it.   

This was so easy....and with red card negating most  of tax...and instant gratification.....tgt is going to put a hurt on amzn.

• Like 1

I tried to price match a TIE Fighter at Target to target.com's price and apply the $5 coupon and got denied.  The customer-service employee used an iPad to check target.com's price.

I live in Florida, so I don't pay sales tax on Amazon yet, but when I do have to, Target will probably be getting a lot more of my business.

Willy, the people on service desk have a little descretionary power unlike most employees. Had you asked for greater price match ($40 for example) they most likely had to open up the ipad and check. Or maybe she was just impressed by your magnetic personality. :)

Jackson, for whatever reason the b&m stores are not supposed to price match target.com.

This was so easy....and with red card negating most  of tax...and instant gratification.....tgt is going to put a hurt on amzn.

Exactly why I have been doing it since the holidays last year and glad they kept it all-year round. To me, Target is already whoopin' Walmart's butt just for them actually price matching the competitors compared to Walmart's ol' ad matching.

Jackson, for whatever reason the b&m stores are not supposed to price match target.com.

They totally do or at least are supposed to. Actually at mine whenever they price match, first they look the item up on the company website, then look it up on Amazon or whichever one you mentioned. It can make things go a bit longer but has helped me save more than I thought going in for a few sets so I won't complain.

I doubt it.  Brick and mortar is dying.

Well, soon as internet sales tax gets passed that will change although honestly for me I always try to buy everything from a physical store. Purchasing anything online can typically be a real hassle. Plus the cost of shipping usually ends up negating any sales found.

I think the process you go through can vary by store and employee. I had one girl at a Target tell me she had to see it on my phone. I don't have a cool phone like that (I'm cheap ok, I like my $30 month phone lol), but I did have a print out with me that I printed before I left the house. She said she couldn't use that it had to be an at the moment price. So I asked her why she couldn't use her own IPad at the customer service desk and she said that was for in store use and not for customers. So idk, I left a bit frustrated as I did not get my items price matched so I left them there for her to put away. 99% of the time it goes smoothly, some will use printout, some will look up the price. Some have told me I can only price match 1 item per visit and another lady did entire cart so depends on who you get! I had one employee that told me that they did an entire cart of food for a family once, so whatever works I guess :)

• Like 1

My Target price matching experience has been about 90% done on the iPad behind the counter.  I believe that is the actual policy.  Otherwise people could just quote any old price and hope the Guest Services employee buys it.  There were only two times where they didn't use their own iPad:  Once when their internet was down, in which case they had me go through all the steps on my phone with them watching, and the other time was when they gal didn't have her keys for the drawer they keep the iPad in.  She then had me go through it on my phone while she watched.  So I haven't experienced much leniency when it comes to price matching.  I am totally fine with this though.  The price matching is a great deal for us, and I don't want to see it go away because too many people abuse it.  It only takes a few a-holes to ruin it for everybody.

I think the process you go through can vary by store and employee. I had one girl at a Target tell me she had to see it on my phone. I don't have a cool phone like that (I'm cheap ok, I like my $30 month phone lol), but I did have a print out with me that I printed before I left the house. She said she couldn't use that it had to be an at the moment price. So I asked her why she couldn't use her own IPad at the customer service desk and she said that was for in store use and not for customers. So idk, I left a bit frustrated as I did not get my items price matched so I left them there for her to put away. 99% of the time it goes smoothly, some will use printout, some will look up the price. Some have told me I can only price match 1 item per visit and another lady did entire cart so depends on who you get! I had one employee that told me that they did an entire cart of food for a family once, so whatever works I guess :)

I've learned the habits of a few Target CSRs. Our family doesn't shop at Wal-Mart so we're at Target quite a lot instead. When we walk in I always take a look at the desk to see if I recognize the clerk, and certain clerks, I know to just leave the Lego be. I do find that a good impression works wonders. One woman, the first time she pm'd for me was 2 HDs at 20% per Target.com + a gift card (I think). Anyway I wanted 'em both for like $97 each. I told her one was for my boy & I to build, and the other was a gift. Which wasn't a lie, actually, because one day it probably will be a gift. I'm gonna sell it to the giver. Anyway the point is everyone loves a badass toy. Talk it up with them, give them a dose of your affection for silly bricks. Big stores like Target host a heirarchy mired in miscommunication and trial-and-error policy changes. Then you throw an iPad into the mix and everyone loses their mind. You can't play the system because there isn't one. At the desk you gotta play the people.