Advice on short term Lego investing?

Yes, I would just get a second job.  If you need money that bad, go for what is guaranteed and you can figure out how much you need to make.

It's not like I'm desperate for money, it's more of a personal goal. I got back into Lego a few months ago, I mostly just wanted opinions on what sets that are retiring at the end of this year/summer of next that will raise in value nicely over a short period of time.

I would avoid any attempt at short term Lego investing.  If you are hoping to turn a profit in a short amount of time you will be outside of a time window to return your items and break even.  If that is the case I recommend buying through yoyo.com since they have the most lenient return policy I've ever heard of.  Short term investing in Lego is a thing of the past and will only be rarely experienced again.  I would get a part time job.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

It's not like I'm desperate for money, it's more of a personal goal. I got back into Lego a few months ago, I mostly just wanted opinions on what sets that are retiring at the end of this year/summer of next that will raise in value nicely over a short period of time.

by some sets with good minifigs.  sell the figs to get your money back, keep the sets, repeat un till a month before your deadline.  sell left over free sets as a lot. don't bother building the sets just throw them in a giant bin until sale time then weight it and list it.  thats the only thing i would try with a small time frame.

When it comes to parting out, the $20 sets with three minifigs are a great place to start, and well within your budget.  It is super common for them to go on sale at Amazon for somewhere between $15-$17, and if you get the right ones, you can sell two of the minifigs and get all your money back.  That leaves the third mini and all the parts as profit.  It's not a huge gain, but if you do it enough times, the money starts to add up.

• Like 1

Hmmm, $500-750 can't buy you too much Lego to start with.  I suggest you wait for the next Walmart, Target, or Kmart clearance sales, then grab whatever you can at 50-70% off.  Be sure you are the first guy shows up at the store, or else another investor will clean out the shelves before you...