Does today's Walmart virtual looting have any affect on this holiday season?

pickleboy

First, I always mess up effect and affect so if I used the wrong one in the title, I apologize. 

So today there were obviously a ton of sets sold at a fraction of a price of what they were supposed to go for...Walmart's Christmas stock on some items is gone before we even reach Dec.  (Ok they will prolly stock most of them again before then but they had to have taken a huge blow.)  Other retailers selling the same sets prolly also took a blow due to price matching.....I know they only price matched a little while but still enough sets had to have been price matched for them to stop.  I understand that if this happened to one or two sets that it wouldn't have much impact on the entire market but a ton of cheap sets flooding the market at the same time could bring everything down a little for the entire holiday season? 

Thoughts?

TRU had the fire plane marked down to 19.99 for an entire day and those prices still haven't come back even close to retail.

PS I'm so jealous I missed it.  I have no problem taking advantage of someone else's error when I know they would take advantage of me if I messed up. (IE ...every big company out there.) 

Eh its really hard to say. How much was sold?

I think in the long run it will affect some Ebay prices in the short term, and some Walmart pricing for a bit longer - then nothing else will really come out of it.

Most of the LOTR sets and stuff that were on sale were not the big hitters from the series or just came out. We have a long way to go ont hem.

• Like 1

Eh its really hard to say. How much was sold?

I think in the long run it will affect some Ebay prices in the short term, and some Walmart pricing for a bit longer - then nothing else will really come out of it.

Most of the LOTR sets and stuff that were on sale were not the big hitters from the series or just came out. We have a long way to go ont hem.

Exactly.  Most of what was purchased this morning was stuff that you really weren't going to be selling this holiday season unless you were parting out the items since they won't be EOL yet.  I could see this affecting ebay sales in the short term if people start trying to sell those $100 sets for $60-70, but if you were trying maximize your dollar, you weren't in sell mode yet, anyway.  November's top sales list for Lego(on ebay or even amazon 3rd party for that matter) could be very interesting, though.

Not really.  In the grand scheme of sales I think this is a drop in the  bucket.  Most people that pay msrp for things which is the majority of the population aren't hunting for deals, especially ones in such a tight time window.  Things continue on the same except for a fraction of a minority.

I think the only set involved which I've got money in is the UG, which I was kinda planning to hold for a while anyway... Obviously it will see a drop in value right now, but I think that will fade shortly after eol.

This one wont be affected near as much as others - A lot of walmarts had already clearanced all of these out and since they aren't shipping anything, these shouldn't take too big a hit.

Many of you are overestimating how many people actually took advantage of this Lego price screwup. A handful of people on a Lego website will not affect anything. Also, most of these sets were heavily discounted many times over previously. I keep on reading how everyone bought Lone Ranger sets. So what. Does Prince of Persia ring a bell?

Zero...a few lucky ones got those picked up in store.  They shut down the inventory system within a few hours of this debacle and cancelled all the online orders.  With those free $10 gift card they handed out they will make out in the end.  The CEO of Walmart mentioned last week this Black Friday will be the biggest in Walmart history.

Many of you are overestimating how many people actually took advantage of this Lego price screwup. A handful of people on a Lego website will not affect anything. Also, most of these sets were heavily discounted many times over previously. I keep on reading how everyone bought Lone Ranger sets. So what. Does Prince of Persia ring a bell?

Yeah you prolly right but this was all over the internet not just a lego website....enough took advantage that TRU cancelled their price matching for the day with Walmart.  I didn't see exactly which sets where being purchased...

Zero...a few lucky ones got those picked up in store.  They shut down the inventory system within a few hours of this debacle and cancelled all the online orders.  With those free $10 gift card they handed out they will make out in the end.  The CEO of Walmart mentioned last week this Black Friday will be the biggest in Walmart history.

I didn't know they cancelled all the orders.  I didn't read the other threads about it b/c I didn't want to get jealous of seeing everyone's hauls. 

Yeah, pretty sure TRU cancelled their price matching due to all the 18.03 video games (especially Battlefield 4 and GTA V) going out the door.  Slickdeals, NeoGaf, and CheapAssGamer are full of people that got 20-40 copies between Walmart and price matching at other stores, but I've seen very very few people that really stocked up on Legos in anywhere near that quantity. 

From watching the Slickdeals comments during the day, it looks like people found the Lone Ranger sets (Constitution Train especially) very early and the Hobbit/LotR sets (UG, Goblin King, and Pirate Ambush) in the early morning, but few comments on Castle or Galaxy Squad until much later.  And most people that did comment were grabbing 1x of everything and planning on keeping (so in reality this may actually help as this puts Lego sets in the hands of people that never would have purchased them at any realistic price in the first place).  In the end, maybe the train takes a small hit (but that small hit won't matter if it does EOL soon), but UG has been mostly gone from Walmarts as mentioned earlier, Goblin King has been falling off a cliff anyway, and Pirate Ambush is a long time from EOL. 

The amount of people that received orders was actually really really low and most of those were grabbing up hauls of videogames. I wouldn't worry about it affecting much of anything aside from the next few days.

I mentioned this in another thread - but you may be wrong here. In my town (a very non-lego dead town), the people at walmart told me there had already been several orders (each of the walmarts I went to) picked up including carts full of Legos.

I mentioned this in another thread - but you may be wrong here. In my town (a very non-lego dead town), the people at walmart told me there had already been several orders (each of the walmarts I went to) picked up including carts full of Legos.

That just means there are SD resellers near you!

DNIIM, the only thing that anecdote tells us for sure is you have at least one big competitior in your area. ;)

DNIIM, the only thing that anecdote tells us for sure is you have at least one big competitior in your area. ;)

Maybe, but if so - they suck.

1. Craigslist Legos just sit. I see a great deal and I still wait two weeks. Why? Because I know I can go to them and offer lower at that point. It never gets bought.

2. Legos always in stock fully - during the jabba fiasco I went around and just collected on them.

3. Clearance - when there are clearance sales - I pretty much get everything good.

It's not going to effect the price. Just got confirmation on the news that Walmart will not honor those super discount prices. 

What we're discussing here is the people who did manage to get them at those prices (and there were definitely some, including several on this site) by doing site to store ordering and picking them early before the orders started being cancelled.

Nobody knows yet how many folks made it out with discount Lego. I tend to think it's a small number, and even DNIM's Walmart Store Employee (if there's anything more unreliable than a Lego Store Employee, I'd think that would be it  :twitch:  ) might very well be exaggerating or wrong.

What we're discussing here is the people who did manage to get them at those prices (and there were definitely some, including several on this site) by doing site to store ordering and picking them early before the orders started being cancelled.

Nobody knows yet how many folks made it out with discount Lego. I tend to think it's a small number, and even DNIM's Walmart Store Employee (if there's anything more unreliable than a Lego Store Employee, I'd think that would be it  :twitch:  ) might very well be exaggerating or wrong.

Well, I verfied they must have been today. Went to three walmarts during lunch:

Galaxy Squad, lone ranger, LOTR were all picked clean in all of them. never seen any set out of stock at those walmarts before.