10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Do you all think this set has VW Beetle 10187 type potential?

No because it has been hoarded way too much. VW Beetle wasn't back then. I do like it 100 times better than the Beetle though. 

Here's where I'm going to disagree.

I think it does have the Beetle potential *because* it's 100 times better than the Beetle.  I do agree that it's been hoarded a bunch.  But, if you're patient (and I mean long term patient), I think you could get a pretty penny for this.

This set will have appearl for a very very long time.  And, people will get impatient and sell theirs off.  But there will always be people that want to buy this set.  Demand will far outweight supply on this set.

Will you have to wait 5 years?  Probably.  As a VW enthusiast myself, I can be patient.  And I've seen just how rabid other VW enthusiasts are.  They won't care if the set is $500.  They'll still buy it.

• Like 2

I don't believe the van will ever out perform the beetle. The T1 wasn't produced very long before it started receiving makeovers. The beetle got one until VW make the new ones in the last decade. That second beetle was produced in Brazil/Mexico until somewhat recently because of its cheapness and popularity.

Secondly look at how well the beetle and van perform in the secondary market that were produced by Jada Toys in 1:64 & 1:24 scale. Its not even close and those came out at the same time.

Regadleas I still have 5 T1's.

I think it does have the Beetle potential *because* it's 100 times better than the Beetle. I do agree that it's been hoarded a bunch. But, if you're patient (and I mean long term patient), I think you could get a pretty penny for this.

This set will have appearl for a very very long time. And, people will get impatient and sell theirs off. But there will always be people that want to buy this set. Demand will far outweight supply on this set.

Will you have to wait 5 years? Probably. As a VW enthusiast myself, I can be patient. And I've seen just how rabid other VW enthusiasts are. They won't care if the set is $500. They'll still buy it.

Just like in real life where an oil change for a European car is twice that of a Honda or American car. Haha

I own a tdi vw jetta and wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Like 1

I think it does have the Beetle potential *because* it's 100 times better than the Beetle.  I do agree that it's been hoarded a bunch.  But, if you're patient (and I mean long term patient), I think you could get a pretty penny for this.

This set will have appearl for a very very long time.  And, people will get impatient and sell theirs off.  But there will always be people that want to buy this set.  Demand will far outweight supply on this set.

Will you have to wait 5 years?  Probably.  As a VW enthusiast myself, I can be patient.  And I've seen just how rabid other VW enthusiasts are.  They won't care if the set is $500.  They'll still buy it.

Kind of like Apple enthusiasts...

• Like 1

I think it will do well, since there is such a storng VW following.  Has there been another polybag that went to $40-45 in under one year?

There have been some.

Shadow ARF trooper being one, even though as mentioned earlier it has been given away free on more than one occasion. VW poly down to $30, for now.

This is the perfect set to box up your inventory of, put away, and forget for eight to ten years. Massive investment volume will hurt this model in the short and medium time frames... But as a long-term HOLD this has all the ingredients: iconic/timeless model, no remake potential, displays beautifully and the details are extraordinary. It will take time but the last guy holding this in inventory is going to be sitting on a gold mine.

• Like 4

This is the perfect set to box up your inventory of, put away, and forget for eight to ten years. Massive investment volume will hurt this model in the short and medium time frames... But as a long-term HOLD this has all the ingredients: iconic/timeless model, no remake potential, displays beautifully and the details are extraordinary. It will take time but the last guy holding this in inventory is going to be sitting on a gold mine.

Totally agree.

The T1 Camper has great potential, but I don't see it ever hitting 10187 numbers.  Two reasons why, the Beetle was a more popular vehicle than the Camper, also most weren't aware of holding Lego to resell back in 2008 (same reason the Fire Brigade will probably never sell for Green Grocer or Cafe Corner numbers).

Only about 20% of Lego Investors will wait 8-10 years after this or any set retires, some will crack after a few months only if they will only make a few dollars. Even I never waited that long. And that goes for just about any set, its easy to say I can wait, but everybody will find out its far from easy.

• Like 4

Only about 20% of Lego Investors will wait 8-10 years after this or any set retires, some will crack after a few months only if they will only make a few dollars. Even I never waited that long. And that goes for just about any set, its easy to say I can wait, but everybody will find out its far from easy.

tumblr_mbylkkKuyR1qedb29o1_500.gif

I CAN HOLD MY CAMPERS A LONGGGG TIME!!!!!!

• Like 2

So what is the projected value after 8 years ? 10xMSRP ? 20x ? What other sets were the base for this prediction ? I am curious as to what constitutes as "a gold mine".

The waiting is the hardest part....

Tom Petty aside, it is tough to hold. I am waffling on selling off a few larger sets this holiday season, when I know that they probably still have time to grow.  Still, I have limited resources and I want to buy, buy, buy, so there is an allure to selling off at a decent profit instead of holding another year. (Not to mention storage issues...and my wife would like to see some boxes go to the post office...)

• Like 1