10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

The LEGO Shop at Home rep I was talking to offered to pull inventory while I was asking questions yesterday and mentioned they had a few thousand available to provide as the promo. Usually I don't believe Lego employees but her tone and wording made me feel like there was some truth to her statement

I believe that..when I called they said until stock runs out and she made mention through the end of the year possibly so yeah these will be around for a while

Hopefully LEGO just found a bunch of cases in a warehouse or something (and they will be gone quick) - Otherwise, this is pretty outrageous.

Do we know when the 40079 become available again? What was the earliest anyone reported seeing it?

Maybe it's going to be a new policy of rerunning earlier promos to combat resellers. Who will pay $20 for a promo on eBay if you know it can possible be rereleased with later deals?

Maybe it's going to be a new policy of rerunning earlier promos to combat resellers. Who will pay $20 for a promo on eBay if you know it can possible be rereleased with later deals?

It wouldn't really be that bad of a plan either.  I'm hoping they found some of these in the warehouse and decided to throw it in as a way to sell the last of the VW Campers.

Am I being too hopeful?

• Like 1

That scenario is a tough one to see happening because if someone really wants the promo, they may be buying a +$100 set that they don't want or already have (which may promote reselling the set) instead of buying exactly what they want at premium but probably cheaper than LEGOs qualification to get the promo.

I am sure they found some boxes or the factory sent over a pile of extras.

I see no conspiracy no plan to figure out anything just a hey we found these and let's throw them in,

Maybe it will help clear out the last of this thing.

I think EOL is closer than most think.

I have had fulfillment houses lose things on me even a full skid only to be found months or years later. It happens.

That scenario is a tough one to see happening because if someone really wants the promo, they may be buying a +$100 set that they don't want or already have (which may promote reselling the set) instead of buying exactly what they want at premium but probably cheaper than LEGOs qualification to get the promo.

How hard is it to throw a couple of crates of poly bags to the side to reuse at a later time? Not hard. This is probably a one time special to unload these sets, but what if in three months they package the Exo Suit with the Classic Spaceman promo? It's not a direct blow to resellers, but it would make it less profitable to be a reseller nonetheless.

How hard is it to throw a couple of crates of poly bags to the side to reuse at a later time? Not hard. This is probably a one time special to unload these sets, but what if in three months they package the Exo Suit with the Classic Spaceman promo? It's not a direct blow to resellers, but it would make it less profitable to be a reseller nonetheless.

I still can't wait until those crates of SSDs reappear.

• Like 1

I am sure they found some boxes or the factory sent over a pile of extras.

I see no conspiracy no plan to figure out anything just a hey we found these and let's throw them in,

Maybe it will help clear out the last of this thing.

I think EOL is closer than most think.

I have had fulfillment houses lose things on me even a full skid only to be found months or years later. It happens.

It's one of two things...either the set is almost done and LEGO wants to clear out remaining stock quickly to make space for new sets or the set(s) were poor sellers and they need sweeten the pot to clear out a lot of excess inventory.

It's one of two things...either the set is almost done and LEGO wants to clear out remaining stock quickly to make space for new sets or the set(s) were poor sellers and they need sweeten the pot to clear out a lot of excess inventory.

Ummmm, I think we know the VW Camper Van wasn't a poor seller.  Just about every time I was in Lego Store, someone was checking out with one.

• Like 1

Wait until sets start coming out of retirement (why not) - that will be a lot of fun.

The current bonus poly bag works for LEGO on several levels. One, it makes them look like heroes to the regular fan, throwing 3 freebies with one set and secondly it screws with resellers heads and plans. Like I said, I think this is just excess stock that was found and is being used in a creative way, but you never know.

About 30 have sold since September 1st on ebay that's pretty good.

I do feel a lot of pent up frustration on the part of several BP'ers regarding reselling, investments Lego in general ... the concern about messing with resellers on this thread is clear as well as much frustration if the UCS MF is re released.

I think everyone should relax it is still a great time to be an investor in Lego

:)

• Like 1

I think we need to ask Jeff to check who's been logging into Ed's BP account... So many conspiracy theories!

I think you are right, normally Ed is a don't worry be happy sort of person on the forum promoting all things Lego and life is good, next thing we know he will be saying he is switching to Kre O as his preferred brick building series.

I think we need to ask Jeff to check who's been logging into Ed's BP account... So many conspiracy theories!

I think it is quite easy to misplace several thousand poly bags. A pallet could have 1000 or more on it, so maybe LEGO did find a batch in some storage facility and had no idea what to do with them. I do wonder about how this promo was advertised, if at all.

The Limited exclusive 40079 Poly (1st wave) was meant to be available for Sept 2013, or while supplies last. Does anyone recall if they ended the promo before the end of Sept? Since supply had not run out - wouldn't those buyers who didn't get them then (because there was seemingly no supply) be somewhat entitled to get them?

Edited by KShine

I think you are right, normally Ed is a don't worry be happy sort of person on the forum promoting all things Lego and life is good, next thing we know he will be saying he is switching to Kre O as his preferred brick building series.

I think the LEGO secondary market is very strong, but the popularity of this set in particular intrigues me.

The Limited exclusive 40079 Poly (1st wave) was meant to be available for Sept 2013, or while supplies last. Does anyone recall if they ended the promo before the end of Sept? Since supply had not run out - wouldn't those buyers who didn't get them then (because there was seemingly no supply) be somewhat entitled to get them?

It appears LEGO ran out of stock on 9/24/2013, 6 days early.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5795-mini-volkswagen-t1-camper-van/?p=165952

This is where Lego will "file" those complaints.

post-33213-14109199258628_thumb.jpg