USPS first class package rates go up 18%! :(

metsrock507

So i was printing out labels for a bunch of small sets that i sold when i noticed a "18% holiday discount" tag on my shipping total. however the price was the same 1.67 that i always pay for my first class packages. basically the base price for first class packages went up 18% to 2.07, but in order to ease customers into rate rate hike, the usps has started us off with a scam discount. luckily as the weight of the package goes up, the price increase decreases, with 13oz packages only going up 10%.

this is especially bad news for people how sell a lot of polybags, as well as for people that part out a lot of sets, since this is the preferred method of shipment for them.

I would have no problem with a rate hike (that's pretty low for a bankrupt "business"), as long as that money didn't go towards the USPS carriers that for some reason love to stop for very long periods of time without reason, talk to other truck drivers, avoid "attempting" deliveries that require them to actually walk 10 steps to ring the bell and so on. I could keep going, but you get the point.

I would have no problem with a rate hike (that's pretty low for a bankrupt "business"), as long as that money didn't go towards the USPS carriers that for some reason love to stop for very long periods of time without reason, talk to other truck drivers, avoid "attempting" deliveries that require them to actually walk 10 steps to ring the bell and so on. I could keep going, but you get the point.

They have to be union, which explains everything that you have stated...  

Not good. At least it happens for everyone so everyones prices will go up.

Still - on Ebay you really can't sell anything for 3.50 or less and make any money at all.

This is why I'm very glad to have Bricklink, and very glad to have (soon) Brick Classifieds here. Neither site may have the overall civilian traffic of eBay, but used in concert with my eBay store I expect to do very well on the pure-Lego sales venues, too, as time goes on.

Just need to interject here

• Like 2

Wow...lets get some working class hate going on in this thread. Shall we turn this into a political forum?

Sure, why not. I consider myself working class, because I actually have to work for a living... More like non-working, working class hate... Paid for by the taxpayers.

• Like 1

Gotta love bureaucrats

To stay on topic  :sweat:

Here is a statement from USPS proposing yet another First class mail rate hike starting January 26, 2014.  The briefs highlighted increases in stamp price for letters to 49 cents.  There is a link to Postal Explorer with more details at the end of the briefs.

Can somebody be kind enough to decipher the proposal documents in Postal Explorer to see if FC packages will also be affected by the hike ?  Those documents always give me a headache  

http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_077.htm

To stay on topic  :sweat:

Here is a statement from USPS proposing yet another First class mail rate hike starting January 26, 2014.  The briefs highlighted increases in stamp price for letters to 49 cents.  There is a link to Postal Explorer with more details at the end of the briefs.

Can somebody be kind enough to decipher the proposal documents in Postal Explorer to see if FC packages will also be affected by the hike ?  Those documents always give me a headache  

http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_077.htm

Yeah I am not bankrupt enough to understand any of that.

My mailperson isn't the greatest, but I'm on a rural route.  I catch him leaving packages in the weather exposed sometimes, which doesn't make me very happy.

Most of the postal workers at the Post Office locations are very helpful.  They always do try to get you to buy the most expensive shipping, no matter how many times you've been there.  I know, it's in the script...

Anyway, at least we have some time before the rates go up. It will definitely hurt the margins of selling figs and polybags, but ultimately everyone will probably just adjust their prices accordingly.

One of my favorite episodes.

I die everytime George starts telling the "stories of George" and he has those people crying.