5526 - Skyline

stephen_rockefeller

• 3 years later...

I just BL'd this Skyline set last week.  A lot of pieces.   I think it took me like 8 hours to put everything together.  It's a nice display when built, and the 3 buildings and statue look better in person than from pictures.   It would have been nice if the statue uses sand green rather than regular green pieces.

Alpine, enjoy your build! I think you will love the outcome.

IMG_4570.thumb.JPG.79614b52f8ea546f9cbae

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:57 AM, Alpinemaps said:

Resurrecting an old thread here...

I just finished BL'ing this set last week.  I'm anxious to put it together.  Wondering if the love for this set still exists.  Is it going to rock my desk?  I love display models like this.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:25 AM, kenchu2000 said:

I just BL'd this Skyline set last week.  A lot of pieces.   I think it took me like 8 hours to put everything together.  It's a nice display when built, and the 3 buildings and statue look better in person than from pictures.   It would have been nice if the statue uses sand green rather than regular green pieces.

Alpine, enjoy your build! I think you will love the outcome.

Do either of you guys care to give a guesstimate of what BL'ing brought the cost to? If you prefer PM or don't care to share, no worries...

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'd have to go back and look.  I don't recall there being any rare parts.  I just went for it, cost be damned, mostly because 5526 is pretty costly no matter what. 

I just ran BrickStock on it, and parting it out at average 6 months sales numbers, it parts to $362.

... excluding shipping and fees, which if you're unlucky amount to $50-$100. Unless you found a magic combination of a few stores that had everything.

I did maximize my store shopping. I also used Bricks and Pieces and Pick-A-Brick.  The transblue 1x2 bricks - there are around 200 of those needed.  I grabbed those from Lego, I think, because they were cheaper.  There were a couple of other bricks I was able to buy by the 100s from a couple of sellers that helped keep shipping costs down.

• Like 2

For me, I was lucky because I already had 80% of the pieces I needed from my bins to begin with, so I only had to order the remaining pieces from 3-4 BL vendors.  I think I paid about $70 for that 20% of the missing pieces.

I think those trans-dark blue pieces may not be rare, but there aren't that many sellers having lots in quantities, so completing those trans-dark blue pieces could be a challenge.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I paid like $30 for a MISB Skyline. Nice set that never got any love...till now.

i like those deal, it pays to check adds often. Recently purchased a 99% complete harry potter 4767 4757 and 3 other little sets with less value for 30$CDN, also picked up a 8285 for 40$... currently on ebay, overpriced maybe but with a best offer option.  and it's rare... so i can price it like i want since i am the only one having one in america(on ebay) there is one on bricklink that is affordable in the US

Edited by TargetZero