Credit Card Protection Polices

jaredseiders

I just noticed that some credit cards, at least my Discover card, offers price protection. Basically it's like a price match, but for up to 90 days after you purchase something. The credit card then reimburses you for the money, as long as the entire purchase for that item was put on your credit card.

I will paste in Discover's explanation here:

If you find a lower price on a recently purchased item at any store within 90 days of purchasing the item with your Discover card, you are automatically eligible for a reimbursement of the price difference up to $500.

Do I have to pay a fee for Price Protection?

No. However, the entire cost of the qualifying purchase must be charged to your Discover Card for coverage to apply.

How do I start the claim process?

Call 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) if you find a lower price on an item you purchased within 90 days.

Anyhow, do you think this could be used to buy sets at full retail price at the Lego Store, and get VIP points. And then turn around and have them match a sale from a store like Walmart, EE, TRU, KMart, etc.? It seems it could be a sale in the future even..... I have never tried it, but was wondering if anyone had?

Discover doesn't make the process easy for you. When you call they don't process the price protection through the phone, they mail you a form to fill out and you have to mail it back to them in order to get a refund. The form requires a pretty thorough amount of documentation. 

In my experience the process was a lot more hassle than it was worth. 

Might be worth it, if you did it on one large item a year.  My problem is the stupid taxes I have to pay going through TLG in the first place.  If Discover rebates the taxes too, then that might be a sweet deal.

Falcon would cost 140 on TLG or 154 something with taxes.  Buy it on Amazon for 115 during a sale, and you saved 35 bucks.  Buy 2, and you save 75 and get $300.00 towards Lego points. Now, if the taxes are not rebated, then you are only saving 20 per unit in this example, but you still get the Lego points.

If you go through Walmart or Target and the taxes are not returned, and you end up paying taxes twice...well, then, you save $5.00.  Not worth my time to save only $5.00.  If I used my Discover Shopping to get to the Lego Store, I get more than that back in my 5% rewards.  

Anyway, I am sure there is a good deal somewhere by using this, just would have to be a large price difference and the tax rebated to really make it worth doing.

• 3 months later...

Anyone tried to use "Price Protection" policy offered by some of the credit card companies for certain credit cards? I was looking at the details specifically for Discover card, and it is very unclear in terms of out of stock items. I.e. I buy Vampire Castle at 109 at TRU, and then in a few days submit a claim using Shop Lego's 24.98 screenshot. I understand it is one of those grey area morals/ethics topics, but it is something that I would expect the provider of this policy clearly state.

I have no experience with this, but I would guess that it's vague so they can approve/deny for whatever reason.  I would also guess that $85 x whatever quantity would equal a deny response.

I am operating at very small scale, and looking for very specific cases where I am actually not in grey area - I bought logging truck at around $119, just week before it went on sale at shop lego, but price at that level was available only for few hours before going OOS. Another is Mines of Moria and last Sunday supersale on it at Target. But I guess I should probably just call and ask. Though since it is a manual, call in, process, I thought i would ask around first