Do you answer dumb questions from Ebay buyers?

never2old4lego

Ok, so I'm just wondering how other Ebay sellers handle what I call dumb questions from potential buyers.  For instance, the listing states, "shipping to US only" and someone from another country asks if you'll ship to them.  Do you bother to reply to them?

How about when you sell an item and THEN the buyer tells you they have a special request.  I once sold some tickets to a person that waited until AFTER they had won to tell me that they needed the tickets for Monday (the auction ended around 9pm on a Saturday).  When I told him there was no way I could get them to him by then, he wanted me to meet him in person and got all bent out of shape when I told him I would be at work on Monday and could not do that.

How does everyone else handle these things?  It's stupid stuff like this that make me think twice about selling on Ebay sometimes.

Be polite. In regards to the international shipping, if I see a deal I ask if they will ship it internationally unless it specifically states in the description they won't. Many times I have had people willing to post internationally even though it wasn't stated. 

After the actual transaction though like with the tickets is pretty rude. I have had a couple of people do that and want it within a certain time frame. I state I will do my best unless they want to pay for express postage instead to ensure it. 

I almost always answer (occasionally you'll get someone who is obviously drunk or trolling or both) and when I do, I answer politely and try to keep all verbiage that would indicate I'm rolling my eyes out of it.

For the int'l when I say I won't in the listing, "Thank you for your interest in our (whatever). Unfortunately, we offer shipping only within the United States for this item."

For the want-it-yesterday people, "I'm so sorry, we're not able to offer express mail/pickup or meet service/time travel for this item. I will be happy to send you a full refund and a mutual cancellation on the item. The mutual cancellation will prevent you from receiving an unpaid item strike on your account, and will allow eBay to refund the fees I incurred in selling this item."

Etc.

Guest TabbyBoy

@Frog... that's exactly what I do, it always pays to act professionally with one's selling account. However, I'm tempted to troll stupid sellers with my buyer's account.

Be polite. In regards to the international shipping, if I see a deal I ask if they will ship it internationally unless it specifically states in the description they won't. Many times I have had people willing to post internationally even though it wasn't stated. 

Exactly. Unless specifically stated, I fail to see how this is a stupid question.

After a moments thought I also considered if I had an actual brick and mortar store how I would work with a situation if a customer came into my store and asked me a question despite the store policies being stated clearly on a sign behind me.  Would I stare blankly at them or just walk away?  Probably neither.  I would answer their question.  I wouldn't treat email inquiries any differently.  It's all customer service.

I say, "Sure thing!  It's a good thing I attached a teleporter to your item so that I can immediately transfer it from the over-the-Atlantic cargo plane to my apartment."

Lol, I usually tell them to ship it back at their own expense. Then also inform them there is a 20% levy to cover costs and time lost.

Any bites?

Well, I just happen to have this happen to me. I'm looking for a VW polybag and I found some good deals at eBay UK. Most of them have stated that they will ship to the UK, and since they don't clearly state IN the description that they'll ONLY ship to the UK, I feel I can knock on the door and ask.