9v train

willy431

Folks,

I bought a partial used 9v train set...looks like most of it is there--but no directions. I made a quick track circuit and put the base engine (with metal wheels) on...turned on the juice...but no motion. Light turns green on power pack. Anybody know what usually goes wrong with these--or what to check?

I was just going to make sure the stuff worked--then list as partial kit used on eBay. Came as part of a lot I bought...wasn't too interested....but for 50 bucks...thought I wouldn't lose and lady really wanted me to buy everything.

Sometimes the train motor just needs to be replaced. This sounds dumb but make sure all four of the motor wheels are touching the metal part of the 9V track...also make sure you are using the 9V track (there has been confusion there in the past). The speed regulators can often not work as well unfortunately. They are not the best thing Lego has ever made..

• 2 months later...

Folks,

I bought a partial used 9v train set...looks like most of it is there--but no directions. I made a quick track circuit and put the base engine (with metal wheels) on...turned on the juice...but no motion. Light turns green on power pack. Anybody know what usually goes wrong with these--or what to check?

I was just going to make sure the stuff worked--then list as partial kit used on eBay. Came as part of a lot I bought...wasn't too interested....but for 50 bucks...thought I wouldn't lose and lady really wanted me to buy everything.

willy, how did you make out?

Sometimes the train motor just needs to be replaced. This sounds dumb but make sure all four of the motor wheels are touching the metal part of the 9V track...also make sure you are using the 9V track (there has been confusion there in the past). The speed regulators can often not work as well unfortunately. They are not the best thing Lego has ever made..

solid advice.  my only additional suggestion would be to clean the track's metal plus motor (wheels) if you have time.  you could always test the regulator by doing something similar as in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH-Ci27nQgc

be sure to also test the connections between each track piece.

i just ordered a new 10153 back-up power motor for $65.  My current regular was purchased new but I'll be ordering another one of these also.  always try to have a back-up (or two) handy since these are getting harder to find as 9v was phased out around 2007.