When is the best time to buy a supposed EOL set in the next couple of months?

So after reading some of the posts in "Will the Fire Brigade be retiring soon" and other places on this forum it seems like these sets are the most likely to retire at the end of the year:

Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Tower Bridge, plus a few more I can't remember.

I was wondering when would be the best time to buy these sets then? If they do retire at the end of the year, when would be the best time to make a purchase, either for investment or for collecting. Me personally I don't have much cash on hand to do much investment, so I plan on purchasing one of the above for myself.

The question is, will it be better to buy them in the second half of October, qualifying for the 1st promo holiday set + double vip points, or would "brick" friday be better? I've heard you can get scratch its that become a certain percentage off, some people get really lucky and they get a 50% off one. I've never been so I can't comment, just something I read. Plus there is the 2nd promo holiday set.

Guest TabbyBoy

That's the $64,000 question.  The retirement dates of FB, GE & TB are just rumour and nothing more.  LEGO closely guards retirement dates and has shown that a set's lifetime can be extended without notice at any time by many years, eg. 10188.  Part of the "fun" of LEGO investing is to get the timing just right when buying sets.  However, I will be taking advantage of double VIP and the freebie toward the end of this month.  My gut feeling is the HH as I think too many FBs are already out there.  For what it's worth, I've heard that the TB is around until at least 2015 due to the "under supply and too short a run" of TM and ET.

That's the $64,000 question.  The retirement dates of FB, GE & TB are just rumour and nothing more.  LEGO closely guards retirement dates and has shown that a set's lifetime can be extended without notice at any time by many years, eg. 10188.  Part of the "fun" of LEGO investing is to get the timing just right when buying sets.  However, I will be taking advantage of double VIP and the freebie toward the end of this month.  My gut feeling is the HH as I think too many FBs are already out there.  For what it's worth, I've heard that the TB is around until at least 2015 due to the "under supply and too short a run" of TM and ET.

Thanks. I will probably listen to everyone and purchase later this month. I know its just rumor/educated guessing, but if they were to retire, and the next two-three months the last chance to buy them at retail prices, then I was wondering when would be the best time. I think, depending on what my local store has on had, I'll either go for GE or USC R2-D2. I know the R2D2 isn't retiring, but I'm not really into modulars and I've seen the Tower Bridge, its huge! I have no idea where I would place it.

Second half of october to make the best of double VIP + holiday set. That said, it's unlikely (to me) they will retire anything before 1st quarter of 2014. Personnaly, I'm going to get an SSD because I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to come by that set at a decent price so all those VIP points will give me some room to purchase potential other EOLers in the upcoming months.

EOL in 2015 would be horrible!  Under supply though?  Seems like people are always talking about how hard it is to move that product.  You would think the would accelerate EOL.

EOL in 2015 would be horrible!  Under supply though?  Seems like people are always talking about how hard it is to move that product.  You would think the would accelerate EOL.

People stil lneed to buy all leftovers in stores for it to reach EOL.... EOL can be factory EOL and actual EOL, first is very different from the second.

Guest TabbyBoy

Sorry, I meant to say that I assumed undersupply of the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower.  I only ever recall seeing the Eiffel Tower in one shop and the Taj Mahal nowhere at all even though my investing wasn't in full swing then.  However, I now see Tower Bridges everywhere both in stores and online.