Investing in sets with Power Functions. Bad idea?

I recently purchased the City Passenger Train (7938) with a slightly damaged box for a great price.  After reading the recent article concerning box conditions and resale value I'm tempted to hold on to this set for possible future sale, but I'm curious what others think about investing in sets that contain technology (ie: battery boxes, motors, etc)?  Bricks never go out of date, but engines?  The price/brick on 7938 is most likely higher due to the Power Functions inclusion, so if the technology falls out of favor then the price/brick would take a hit.

I know 9v trains are still highly desirable for some collectors, so there's an example of an older technology holding its value.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!

Not sure about investment, but as a buyer and builder, I think I will continue to buy the trains as long as the train itself looks good.  I don't care much about the power function since it is not programmable anyway.

But for Mindstorms, I am pretty sure I will not buy the older version, like NXT 2 when EV3 is on the market.

That's an interesting thought. I'd say as long as the motors aren't damaged due to age it shouldn't be a worry as long as the set is something that will be desirable down the road.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=8480-1 is an interesting example of a completely different motor and battery box system including micro motors. It still does well. Of course holding something for 17 isn't a good investment model, it just goes to show that the value doesn't seem to be hurt even though newer motor concepts are released.

Conversely I think computerized sets like Mindstorms will suffer from new releases as these in the past have had to be (or at least can be) connected to computers to program. If the software isn't compatible with newer computers that's doing to hurt the set's value considerably. 

Great points about:

1) style - great designs don't go out of style 

2) closed system technology versus programmable technology that relies on other systems or software to get the maximum benefits.  Power functions and 9v are more of a "dumb" tech vs the Mindstorms "smart" tech.    

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

Like all software and technology, there is the constant "threat" of a new version being released, depleting the value of the one you own. However, I think you will be safe for another 4-5 years before it is replaced. I still have the first motor that came out way back in 1997 that I found this summer. Still works, but in comparison with what's around now, the motor is extremely weak. PLUS it uses 6 AA batteries.

Like all software and technology, there is the constant "threat" of a new version being released, depleting the value of the one you own. However, I think you will be safe for another 4-5 years before it is replaced. I still have the first motor that came out way back in 1997 that I found this summer. Still works, but in comparison with what's around now, the motor is extremely weak. PLUS it uses 6 AA batteries.

I have some old motors. In comparison to the new ones, the newer ones are a lot better. But sometimes, I like the simplicity of the old ones too.

I like the simplicity of the old ones too.

I'm with you there. The old ones have a 2x2 plate that has the height of 2 plates, and a wire attached at one end. There are also metal pieces in the studs of the plates. The battery has studs with metal in them, to which the 2x2 pieces are connected. Then the motor is connected to the other end, and PREGO! You have a weak, but functional motor!

Here's a few pictures I took of the old motor from 1997:

Battery Box

post-5354-0-50696500-1381357634_thumb.jp

6 AA Batteries...Fascinating, I know!

post-5354-0-27731100-1381357640_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-17404300-1381357644_thumb.jp

Connection Wire with 2x2's on the end:

post-5354-0-79007800-1381357649_thumb.jp

Close-up of the 2x2 plate with metal in the studs:

post-5354-0-98910400-1381357660_thumb.jp

Actual Motor. On the black 2x2 area, you will see metal in the studs.

post-5354-0-85329300-1381357665_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-39601100-1381357670_thumb.jp

Here's how you attach the 2x2's to the motor. I thought it was pretty engenious having that groove for the wires to sit in.

post-5354-0-65135300-1381357674_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-68933600-1381357678_thumb.jp

Full contraption:

post-5354-0-84362000-1381357682_thumb.jp

I'm not sure if you're worried about the power functions malfunctioning over time, or if you're worried that new technology will eclipse the old.  I wouldn't worry about either.  I have an old 6990 monorail transport system that I got in 1987 that has sat idle for over 20 years.  I recently took it back out and it works perfectly.  Same thing with my 7722 steam train.  After all that time, it still works.  I also have technic motors and pneumatic systems from the 80's that still work great.  I think these sets attest to Lego's quality, so I wouldn't worry.  Also, as said above, these are "dumb" functions that just turn a motor.  Unless batteries go out of style, these will still hold value in the future.