TRU Haters?

Brickshopper

Just wondering is it ok for us resellers to target the uneducated public and gouge them on the secondary market with inflated prices on ebay and amazon but not ok for TRU to do it?

Resellers don't generally put out multi-page circulars screaming "WHAT A DEAL" about things that are not remotely so. If an item is EOL or hard to find because of a run on stock, resellers are charging market price. Considering that a buyer who's working for it can generally find an EOL or out-of-stock item at what's technically a below-market price from the right reseller, most resellers have more of a right to four-color "WE'VE GONE BANANAS" deal hyperbole than TRU does.

• Like 1

Forums are a medium for people to voice their opinion.  I find good deals at TRU, it's a shame other people don't.  It's easy to make fun of or criticize them, but all in all TRU doesn't owe anyone anything.  I'm sure some people won't be happy until TRU is giving everything away for free and even then it wouldn't be enough.

• Like 1

Money being unimportant as you stated whats it matter if people pay more for something and if money doesnt matter why spend so much time hunting deals? Its not dumb or a mistake to shop at TRU some people just dont need a discount or dont mind paying more than the original price. As I and Fcbarcelona101 was saying have shopped at TRU by choice knowing the set was available elsewhere cheaper. There is a novelty to shopping at TRU that is not lost on everyone..Those soundwaves you scored were a true TRU deal and many others have had some success. You like to spend time deal hunting TRU just makes it harder for you..And many people buy not even thinking about the price let alone what it costs elsewhere...These are not "dumb" people they are average consumers...

I like getting deals because its fun. Finding a way to get like 30 coupons to work together makes me happy. Only reason really. Some people call it cheap - I call it savy.

This is so I have more money to spend on other people. My wife for instance, who I spend way too much money on.

I like the "Weve Gone Bananas" our prices are now close to MSRP sales TRU has been running.Lol.They do seem to spend a lot of time and advertising convincing you that your getting a good deal when in fact it still isnt.

Right - and this is where the irritation lies. I don't like the dishonesty displayed by that. And I think thats what other people feel.

I also remember another reason I do not like TRU. When I was about eight years old, they were running a BOGO sale on ALL Lego sets, and when I went up to the register with my parents, they denied the set that I wanted, so I went back to pick some other sets and the same thing happen. i was really disappointed with TRU. Then I went to look in the ad for that sale, and there were no exclusions for the sale. I went home that day an very unhappy child. Since then, I have only bought one Lego set from TRU, and that set was at retail price.

Are you determining market value by what people will pay by looking at the sold listings on ebay and Brickpicker prices? Well guess what TRU is selling for market value also if people will pay it.What people will pay determines the market value even if it is available less for somewhere else or are you claiming you will not price yours a penny over the competition? Dont know how selling it for more now or later makes that big of a difference and if they are selling for market value then they are not taking advantage of anyone. Market Value is above MSRP in almost all cases only some sets will ever fall below MSRP and if a set is underperforming TRU will have an actual sale on it to move it just like you would if a set depreciated. Me and other sellers have admitted we do the same things and its hard for me to gripe about how someone sets their prices I just go to the outlet with the absolute lowest price which is usually never TRU.

Everything you just said also applies to resellers. I am not sure what your agenda is by creating this thread, but you seem to be playing both sides of the coin. I am moving on. Good day.

I wonder if this TRU practice of raising prices before sales is a US occurrence only? I have never seen any of the Canadian TRUs I shop at do this as their prices are constant until a sale. However, those prices are constantly higher than the US prices so maybe they don't have to.

The store up here that does do this practice is Toys Toys Toys. They are always having a "sale". Their toys have these red stickers on them that show both a "sale" price that is even higher than the TRU regular price, and the normal price that is even higher than that. But because their toys are always marked "on sale" with these tags the regular price is never really charged and the average soccer mom (couldn't resist) thinks she is getting a deal when she's paying even more than TRU's already high Canadian prices. What amazes me more is that this happens in the financial district locations all the time. You'd think people who manage money for a living would know when they're getting hosed eh?

I figure I'd finally chime in although I think everything's been said on this topic...

Although the age of the "mom and pop" toy store is vanishing, instill run across a few mainly in upscale malls - they alway have higher prices on their lego sets - more in line with toys r us than walmart. So...my angst with toys r us isn't necessarily that their prices are higher - like many have said, if that works for their business, then more power to them. What I don't like is that they raise their prices on certain items right before the sale and then advertise a "sale." To me, that is not honest business practice. Unfortunately, it must work because, as we all know, that is their standard practice...

People can bash TRU's practice anyway they want. However, there are some who bash and hate it one day but then shop there when TRU stores have decent sales. These "do as I say, not as I do" types should realize ANY little purchase they made there helps perpetuate the very practice they hate. If you feel so strongly about it, STOP shopping at TRU. Lead by example and make TRU suffer.

Please, either put your money where your mouth is or shut up about it already.

• Like 1

They list the 7965 Falcon as a $180 set. I'm actually surprised TLG lets them get away with that. You know some parents see a price like that and write off Lego as too expensive. Can't be good for value perception.

Anyway it's the principle of the matter. TRU's prices border on outright lies. Whether I give them money or not doesn't change that.

They list the 7965 Falcon as a $180 set. I'm actually surprised TLG lets them get away with that. You know some parents see a price like that and write off Lego as too expensive. Can't be good for value perception.

There's one thing that I think keeps adding to the thought of "Legos are expensive". Sure, a number of sets could be better priced but in some ways that's our own thought process of how much we are willing to pay. Seeing a $40 set listed closer to $50-$55 or a $70 one for about $100 on Toys R Us can't really help public opinion at all.

I have not purchased a single thing from Toys R Us in years no matter how 'spectacular' their sales look to be and I do not plan on doing so ever. Any exclusive can be bought through Lego's webstore at actual retail. Heck, if I ever needed to, I could buy one through BrickLink. At least then the money would be going to a Lego fan (or reseller :P).