5886 - T-Rex Hunter

ausleigh

Hey All,

Shooting out a request to the more knowledgeable on here about Dino set 5886 (T-Rex Hunter). in Australia this retailed at $99.99, and I can get a couple at 20% off. eBay tends to indicate after fees I'd not pull in much of a profit, but does anyone see this as having good longer term growth? With the line now done, I wonder what future interest there generally is for such?

Thanks in advance for your input.

How long term are you thinking? 3, 4 years?

Yeah 2-3. It went up 45% this past year - just doing 25% for the next two years puts it at $140ish.

More the reason is the Trex. only other way to get the awesome Trex (and its a different one) is Dino Defence which is on the fast track to being a $250 set. I think that will really raise the value of this set when Dino Defense starts to hit those really high numbers because it makes this set seem like a better value.

Could be wrong - but I have always loved this set as an investment. These retired right as I got into Lego investing. I wasn't ready to dive in, so I didn't buy too many of them. But it was the second one I said "thats a definite winner" right after 5887 (which is enjoying 90% CAGR).

Yeah 2-3. It went up 45% this past year - just doing 25% for the next two years puts it at $140ish.

More the reason is the Trex. only other way to get the awesome Trex (and its a different one) is Dino Defence which is on the fast track to being a $250 set. I think that will really raise the value of this set when Dino Defense starts to hit those really high numbers because it makes this set seem like a better value.

Could be wrong - but I have always loved this set as an investment. These retired right as I got into Lego investing. I wasn't ready to dive in, so I didn't buy too many of them. But it was the second one I said "thats a definite winner" right after 5887 (which is enjoying 90% CAGR).

DoNotInsertIntoMouth, sex god investor, we kneel before your greatness. Agree all the way mate. Stomping

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a lego dino triceratops trapper 5885 at TRU yesterday. $69.99 and the box had tape applied to the sides as the box apparently came apart. If only it was one lego set number higher... I could have a t-rex terrorizing Helms Deep.

Lol that is an awesome thought. I just got this set so I may do that.

But I don't play with my legos... so you know.

• 3 months later...

A gift shop/newsstand at the Orlando airport had four of these for $79.99/ea. I didn't want to add to my carry-on luggage.

Yeah 80$ is not that great unless you want to build it. As a built set, its not amazing - but that T-rex is straight up money. 

I have seriously considered grabbing a few more of the dinosaur just to make a bigger set up. They are awesome.

• 4 years later...