What is the best forum for selling Legos to collectors?

NoelleInAZ

My son has 10 large bins of Legos to sell. He wants to sell them to collectors only. He wants them to go to a good home where he knows someone will appreciate the bricks and use them to build amazing things. He would prefer to sell to an adult Lego collector. He does not want to sell them to parents looking for large lots for kids (my son is 16). We've looked at eBay, but there is no way to politely say "collectors only." Does anyone have advice?

Unless you know or are willing to get to know the person involved, you will have no idea what they will ultimately do with the Lego once they have it.

Even going to a local Lego club, the members often have a little Lego side business to fund their hobby.

My best advice to your son: Don't get caught up in who is buying the Lego or for what reason. You're not adopting out a child or even a puppy, there are better things to spend your emotional investment on.

Second best advice: Give them away to someone you personally know who loves Lego and doesn't sell on the side (you may not know such a person and taking someone's word on it is iffy.)

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Most hospitals or at least children's hospitals will gladly take them.  If you're looking to find them a great home where they would be appreciated and not resold, this might be a way to go.  Halfway homes or homeless shelters that are geared to families with kids might  be another way to go.  But try to convince him to save one for his own kids, one of the best things my mom ever did. 

We are looking to sell these Legos for cash. It is a project we are doing together - sorting and cleaning them - and getting them ready to market to collectors. It's a good enterprise and project management lesson for him, and I am proud of the way he is approaching this project. 

He doesn't want them to be used as toys; he wants them to be used as bricks. You wouldn't tell someone to just give a collection of baseball cards to a bunch of kids to play with, right? That's how he feels about these Legos.

I'm not looking for advice on what to do with the Legos. I'm looking for suggestions on where to list them for sale. 

We are looking to sell these Legos for cash. It is a project we are doing together - sorting and cleaning them - and getting them ready to market to collectors. It's a good enterprise and project management lesson for him, and I am proud of the way he is approaching this project. 

He doesn't want them to be used as toys; he wants them to be used as bricks. You wouldn't tell someone to just give a collection of baseball cards to a bunch of kids to play with, right? That's how he feels about these Legos.

I'm not looking for advice on what to do with the Legos. I'm looking for suggestions on where to list them for sale. 

It is my experience that if you do indeed sort the bricks by color(at the very least), most people buying them would be collectors like myself looking to build larger MOCs(custom models).  Selling mixed bulk lots would attract people who "part out" sets and sell for a profit and not build with them.

Provided the buyer meets my price, I don't care what use they have for inanimate objects I sell to them. They can use books as bird cage liners, they can use Lego as rat chew toys. I've been paid, I have no legal or moral say-so in what the buyer does with the item. I am part French, though, so tend to be a practical creature.  :queen:

Obviously you are cutting down your potential customer based by a wide margin. This should be a lesson in marketing. 

Also, how would you guarantee that the collector/buyer is not going to use only half of the bricks for building and sell the rest ?

There are some websites that cater to AFOLs only, of which members especially detest any investors/resellers. Perhaps those are your best bet.

Obviously you are cutting down your potential customer based by a wide margin. This should be a lesson in marketing. 

Also, how would you guarantee that the collector/buyer is not going to use only half of the bricks for building and sell the rest ?

There are some websites that cater to AFOLs only, of which members especially detest any investors/resellers. Perhaps those are your best bet.

This is the thinking that I would guess Ed/Jeff would like to avoid... Brickpicker has an opportunity to become an even bigger entity if, as a whole, we embrace that they are actually other types of LEGO fans out there. And despite popular opinions, more people participating in these forums won't be the end of LEGO investing, nor will it cause your portfolio to come crashing down.

This is the thinking that I would guess Ed/Jeff would like to avoid... Brickpicker has an opportunity to become an even bigger entity if, as a whole, we embrace that they are actually other types of LEGO fans out there. And despite popular opinions, more people participating in these forums won't be the end of LEGO investing, nor will it cause your portfolio to come crashing down.

I don't understand what issue you have with Raichu's post. The OP asked where to sell the way she wants to sell, Raichu gave her a suggestion. Right now, even if the OP wanted to, she can't sell on this forum (Brick Classifieds, coming soon! :-) so he's not driving her off this selling site to another one.

Some of us think the OP's desire to limit her selling market is a bad idea and we've shared that with her. She is under no compulsion to agree with us or act on our advice, just as I'm not compelled to agree with or act upon advice when I ask a question here or anywhere on an open forum.

It's a good life skill to learn "take what works for you and leave the rest" and I am confident that as the mother of a 16 year old the OP has probably mastered that skill long since. 

That was an honest answer based on the parameters set by OP. He wanted to sell to select types of clienteles and the majority of active posters here do not fit those parameters.

I don't understand what issue you have with Raichu's post. The OP asked where to sell the way she wants to sell, Raichu gave her a suggestion. Right now, even if the OP wanted to, she can't sell on this forum (Brick Classifieds, coming soon! :-) so he's not driving her off this selling site to another one.

Some of us think the OP's desire to limit her selling market is a bad idea and we've shared that with her. She is under no compulsion to agree with us or act on our advice, just as I'm not compelled to agree with or act upon advice when I ask a question here or anywhere on an open forum.

It's a good life skill to learn "take what works for you and leave the rest" and I am confident that as the mother of a 16 year old the OP has probably mastered that skill long since. 

There is plenty of selling that occurs here, just through PM at this point. My issue wasn't with his post specifically, just a general frustration I have where anything that isn't investment oriented or all about making the most money you can immediately gets de-prioritized to a level where it's made to feel unimportant.

Guest eightbrick

I suppose the BrickLink forum might work, but to be honest, the only way to really get a buyer is by posting on a bunch of forums and hoping for a positive reply. I'm sure you could post on EuroBricks (it actually is international, not just Europe), Brickset, etc.

On the EB and Brickset part, I would note that you have to make sure you post it in the right part of the forum or it will be swiftly removed by the moderators. I think Brickset has a marketplace (I believe it is members-only) for people to post their sales and Eurobricks has a "Buy, Sell, Trade, and Finds" subforum where you can post it (go to Eurobricks->Forums->*Scroll Down to the bottom*->Buy Sell Trade and Finds). Good luck.