Finally! I have Proof!

I knew it!  All along I have been very outspoken about how I believe that Lego's "Retiring Soon" tag was a load of garbage to boost sales on slow moving sets.  I always maintained that the tag was "conveniently" omitted from being included on sets that people actually want.  Tonight, I got my proof...

6858 - Catwoman's Catcycle City Chase has been "Temporarily out of stock" forever now.  Some time today, the status went from that directly to "Retired Product."  Where was the "Retiring Soon" warning???  Nevermind the fact that this set has been out for about a year and nine months, there still should have been a tag on it if it was about to retire.

For the record, I take no satisfaction in being right about this.  I would have rather been wrong.  I wanted to believe that the "Retiring Soon" tag actually meant something...

I don't believe for a second that I was the only one with this theory.  I know we all knew this a long time ago.  I just couldn't pass up a chance to call it out publicly once I had the cold hard proof.  That, and I used the forum as a medium for venting my frustration.  :)

I don't believe for a second that I was the only one with this theory.  I know we all knew this a long time ago.  I just couldn't pass up a chance to call it out publicly once I had the cold hard proof.  That, and I used the forum as a medium for venting my frustration.  :)

Yes venting helps when dealing with the mind boggling things TLG pulls from time to time. I stopped along time ago trying to figure out what makes them tick (besides money) it was causing my blood pressure to rise :)

I don't think your example proves anything about retiring soon. It may prove that "temporarily our of stock" is untrue since it wasn't temporary. I could conclude from this  that Lego made an error in omitting to use the retiring soon if a set suddenly retires without warning, but not that its actual use is a fraud. You need an example of the retiring soon sticker being used and then being withdrawn or the product still being available for a long time to prove that.

I get what you're saying, and it make sense.  But as long as Lego doesn't remove a set from the "retiring soon" section (they haven't yet), I won't get worked up about it.

Yeah this is my thought. I don't think the other is news - there have been plenty of sets that went straight there. Its about them pulling it off a set, or leaving it on with the set in stock for like Years.

Didnt someone proved LEGO did that with some set not so long ago????

Not that I recall.

Didnt someone proved LEGO did that with some set not so long ago????

No.  They have had a few sets linger on the page for a while.  They might have done it with the Chima Speedorz sets, but lets be honest, the barely qualify as Lego...

Yeah this is my thought. I don't think the other is news - there have been plenty of sets that went straight there. Its about them pulling it off a set, or leaving it on with the set in stock for like Years.

Kind of like the Hogwarts Castle last year.  Yet Diagon Alley went to Retiring Soon.  If one is upset about them sending the Catwoman set straight to Retired, they are going to be very disappointed when most of Monster Fighters and LOTR/The Hobbit skip over it too...

I don't think your example proves anything about retiring soon. It may prove that "temporarily our of stock" is untrue since it wasn't temporary. I could conclude from this  that Lego made an error in omitting to use the retiring soon if a set suddenly retires without warning, but not that its actual use is a fraud. You need an example of the retiring soon sticker being used and then being withdrawn or the product still being available for a long time to prove that.

See my other thread about the Retiring Soon tag being withdrawn from set # 9489...

Yeah I am a little confused...You would think the only reason to get upset is if a set suddenly came back in stock after being labeled retiring soon...You are upset because they did not label it as retiring soon as it was being sold out and no more produced. i do not see anywhere were lego has promised to notify a set will retire soon or they are obligated to do so and not sure what you are proving that sometimes a set sells out withut being marked retiring soon. Seems like no big deal. Really maybe I am missing something...

To be totally honest, there isn't really cold hard proof. We just have to take your word for it. AND, I believe you. I remember forming my own opinion about this a while ago, which wasn't so different from your conclusion after your experiment.

Nice job going "against the current", so to speak, and finding out for yourself!  :thumbsup: I think the world needs more people who think that way.