Hello from Oklahoma!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site (and pretty much new to Lego).  I am a stay at home mom to 2 children and several years ago I started shopping clearance and buying/selling items.  I bought everything from clothes, electronics, toys, etc.  After a while I realized that Lego sets were really the way to go so I started somewhat focusing on that.  I stopped for a year after I had my 2nd child and now I want to get back into it but put most of my focus on investing in Lego sets.  I do not personally build or collect   :shocked: so I do not have much knowledge on what may be popular or good investments.  When I started buying them a few years ago I was under the impression that any discount 30% or more on ANY set was a great deal and to buy them up, and that's what I did.  After reading through some of the forum on here I realize that is NOT smart and have a closetful of some bad (not horrible) purchases. 

Anyways I hope to sell most of what I'm currently holding onto and then start buying the good/profitable sets.

I hope to learn a lot here (have already learned tons) and am excited to really get into this.  I also hope this doesn't lead into a new and expensive hobby :D .

Welcome to the site. What sets are you sitting on that you feel were a bad investment? Soon there will be a classifieds section on here where we can buy, sell, and trade sets with other members.The fees involved will be much less than eBay, Amazon, or bricklink as well. No matter how bad the set, there will always be a buyer for one reason or another. Hopefully you bought them at some decent discounts though so you don't take too big of a hit.

Thank you for the welcome. I have about 20 Star Wars midi-scales 7778 and 8099. I have a few of each 8088 and 8087, a few 7754, a couple 10198 and 8039 (which seem to have been good purchases). I got most of those at a pretty deep discount 50-70% off so I will still make a profit but most of those sets don't seem like something an experienced investor would have bought. Maybe I'm wrong? I have a lot to learn!

Thank you for the welcome. I have about 20 Star Wars midi-scales 7778 and 8099. I have a few of each 8088 and 8087, a few 7754, a couple 10198 and 8039 (which seem to have been good purchases). I got most of those at a pretty deep discount 50-70% off so I will still make a profit but most of those sets don't seem like something an experienced investor would have bought. Maybe I'm wrong? I have a lot to learn!

You seem to be on the right track for just starting out. Acquiring at as high of a discount as possible is the key to guaranteeing profits later. You seem to have that one figured out pretty well. 10198 and 8039 are two very good sets to have. Both have appreciated well. If you are looking to sell a few of them now send me a pm and maybe we can work out a deal. Good luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I hope to be able to contribute soon, in the meantime I hope y'all tolerate my newbie questions

Don't feel like you can't contribute just because you are starting out! Ask lots of questions, and you can always post reportin sales that you've found, in the Daily Deals section, which we've just recently started up. I encourage you to check it out to see what some BrickPicker members think are good discounts. Of course, it won't be extremely often to find a set online for 50-70% off, but still, it's a great tool.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome! Always nice to see another female-type in this part - we're outnumbered, you know. ;-)

You know we have been secretly trying to weed you out. I email Lego everyday and ask that they start producing gas-producing, burping, beer oriented Legos only to keep this a boy's world. :)

They haven't responded.