Greetings and salutations from Canada

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a few topics on this forum, and decided to join.

I've been buying and storing Lego as an investment for about 3 years now.  I convinced my wife it was better than earning 2% interest at the bank, so we started with a few thousand dollars, and have built up a fair investment.  I started with 3 each of the modular buildings (should have just bought all Green Grocers, but oh well).  I'm also a serious collector and hobby builder, so investment buying fits right in.

We are members of the Manitoba Lego User's Group (MBLUG), and we're part of the annual displays that they do.

I always only buy Lego that interests me 100% just in case my investment feeling is wrong.  For example, I had 5 Fire Brigades, but recently decided it was too many, so I traded one for a Grand Emporium, and parted one out into a custom building I was making.

My most recent acquisition for investment was 4 of the Lego 41999 Technic Crawler (I did buy more, but those were for friends/family/myself to build - I won't get into how many I actually was able to buy). 

Last fall I was fortunate enough to buy a complete Lego collection from the previous 3-4 years, plus many 1990's sets.  I kept what interested me, and sold off the remainder to pay for what I kept.

I have a lot of collectible market, investment, and marketing experience through my job (I'm a director for the corporation I work for), and have used a lot of my own work experience in my Lego investment hobby.  I don't ever think I'll be in the $50k+ range of Lego investment, and I don't want to think about how I'd store that much, either!

Just so you all believe me (I know a lot of this forum is 'pics or you're a liar'), attached is a photo of *SOME* of my collection. I have about triple that, if you include what I've built for my hobby/display, and what I'm storing in a storage unit.

Locutis

post-28838-0-26255700-1380199139_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome to BrickPicker, and thanks for the pictures. Great instincts buying the GG and the other modulars!

Percentage-wise, I have made far more money on Emerald Night sets than the Green Grocer.  I bought a large number at what worked out to $75 each (with 2xVIP points and 10% off sale, and an 8% advantageous CDN/USD exchange rate at the time), and have been selling them for $300 each.  But selling the Green Grocers that I bought paid for them, plus all of my other modulars, so what's sitting there is essentially free, which is the best position to be in.  Especially if you like the sets as well, and wouldn't mind just keeping them.

Guest eightbrick

From one Canuck to another, welcome Locuitis (I'm in AB)! I love Manitoba, had lots of fun there as a child going to the Mint and stuff. And about the pics or it didn't happen thing, I wouldn't worry to much about it. For the most part it is just one person who says it again and again so if its hassle don't worry about it, 99% of people won't bug you about it. Enjoy the site :)

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Hello glad to here the wife is on board with the investing. A marriage  built on lego is 125% happier then most (American math isn't the best)