Best investment of these three Star Wars sets?

Sauromosis

Best long term hold?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which set will be the best investment?

• 75020 - Jabba' s Sail Barge
    • 9516 - Jabba's Palace
    • 7965 - MIllennium Falcon

Falcon is great, but there are many versions, with more to come. It has also had a long shelf life, with no end in sight. Jabbas palace has only 1 previous version, which doesn't even compare with 9516 as far as quality. The palace will have a short shelf life, according to lego themselves ( eol after one year ). The controversy only adds to the mystique of this set. The verdict is still out on the barge.

I say Jabbas palace, hands down.

• Like 1

There have been far too many Falcon's, and this one brings nothing new to the table.  JP!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know - if it doesn't bring anything new to the table, why is it one of the most bought sets? Here are my thoughts on the three:

7965 Falcon - I did a blog about this one: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-399-lego-7965-millenium-falcon-is-it-an-investors-10179-remake/

Short answer, it definitely is better than the last one (that didn't do wonderfully). It is much bigger and the figures are great in it. Being the second biggest Flacon and having the biggest one be close to 3K makes me think this one will do decent enough. 12.5-15% CAGR or so. But there are definitely unknowns on when it will retire, and when the next one will come out. Not sure about it - but a lot of Walmarts did clearance them and none of mine got more. So it could be leaving us this year or early next.

9516 Jabbas Palace - I did a blog about this one as well: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-321-jabbas-palace-will-you-dine-for-eternity-at-the-bantha-buffet-or-will-the-chain-put-a-choke-hold-on-your-cash/

It is tremendously better than the original, again one of the most bought lego sets, and there is the controversy. I wish wish wish it had gone out back in March as it would have skyrocketed, but I think there is still a lot of potential. At the end of the day, it still had a somewhat limited run, a lot of investors are going to ignore it because they are afraid of how many were stocked up on previously, and the original has continued to do well. Plus the Rancor pit = money. I think this one could do 20-30% CAGR .

Also, looking back at the controversy, the set rose to $175 within a few days. I think this shows its potential. I don't think investors were spending that on it, but maybe so?

Jabbas Sail Barge - Guess what, it was in this blog :) :http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-357-the-lego-star-wars-fall-wave-same-old-song-and-dance-part-2/

Retail price hurts this one. And its not exceptionally better than the first like JP. But, its still an iconic set, and it matches well with all the other Jabba sets - including the very good selling JP, rancor pit, skiff, etc. So in the end, it will have good returns, but I wouldn't pay more than $85ish for it, maybe lower to get the type of returns to make it worth it. If the set was $99 like it should be, I think you would see 20% CAGR, but at $120 it will be about 15% or lower.

So the short answer, I think Jabba's Palace has the best. But EOL dates change everything.

Only downsides I see are - no Jabba in new movies and high retail price.

• Like 1

Does Lego only make a certain number of sets? Because of the controversy surrounding Jabba's Palace, a lot of investors bought up a ton. So did Lego just churn out more? Doesn't that mean there are a lot more JP sets floating around, than the other ones? Or does Lego just say, we're going to make X number of these sets, and that's it?

Does Lego only make a certain number of sets? Because of the controversy surrounding Jabba's Palace, a lot of investors bought up a ton. So did Lego just churn out more? Doesn't that mean there are a lot more JP sets floating around, than the other ones? Or does Lego just say, we're going to make X number of these sets, and that's it?

I would assume they would just produce them until they decide to retire them either because they want new stuff or they aren't profitable anymore. Does that mean more are out there?

No I don't think so honestly. Why? Because look at people like Diabolos below me -  a lot of investors are more down on it now. A lot of the people have been selling off the stock they built up during that time. And a lot were just returned.

When the controversy happened, I walked over to Walmart (well several) and bought about 10 of them. guess how many I have now? 1 and it wasn't one of those 10. I simply returned them all.

I plan on targeting this set the last couple months of the year. Probably hope to have 5 or so at $80ish each (im not big time)

7965 will never retire. There are too many sealed 9516s. And the sail barge is awful.

Help me R2-D2, you're my only hope.

R2D2 is definitely the best. I am assuming though that the OP was looking for a certain price range.

• 1 month later...

Hi

kinda of newbie here, can someone explain the controversy with Jabba's Palace?

I just bought 2 today at TRU@ $86 each (walmart/target price match) as well as 2 Rancor Pits today @ $40.99(Target).

Was going to build 1 of each, and save the other 2 for investment

thanks in advance! 

brickfolio_badge_1_8ff41202-e983-11e2-a8

Hi

kinda of newbie here, can someone explain the controversy with Jabba's Palace?

I just bought 2 today at TRU@ $86 each (walmart/target price match) as well as 2 Rancor Pits today @ $40.99(Target).

Was going to build 1 of each, and save the other 2 for investment

thanks in advance! 

The gist of it is, some people thought that Jabba's Palace looked like a Mosque, so they complained, so LEGO responded by saying that they would retire the set by the end of 2013. Now they didn't necessarily say that they would stop production because of the complaint, but my guess is that it is. 

I think you are good to go, in terms of investment. Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit are two sets that LEGO has intended to go together. I might also add the Desert Skiff to the bunch, or even Jabba's Sail Barge, as an ultra bundle, but you're off to a good start!

I can't look right now but there's at least one thread on the topic. You could also Google it. In a nutshell, some folks decided that Jabba's Palace portrays Muslims(?) as bad guys since his palace is obviously based on one of their mosques.

It was this thread: http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/2786-lego-backs-down-over-jabbas-palace-accelerated-eol-for-9516-due-to-controversy/

Hi All

I know this has been discussed in length, however, with the online specials $86 for 9516 and coming to EOL,  is everyone 'stocking' up.  I have 2, but thinking of getting 3-4 more.  thinking maybe it hits $150 within year after retiring. 

txs

brickfolio_badge_1_8ff41202-e983-11e2-a8

Its weird but a lot of people are in different camps. Tons of these may be stashed away because of what happened back in March... but a lot of people are staying away from it now because of that.

I just think its gonna grow a lot at least in the beginning. Too many people want this set and will continue to want it. Now, its probably gonna plateau like ever set, but where it does is up to all those people that have them sealed. If 1000s go on ebay all of a sudden its done.

Still, if you can get them for $85, I think the set will easily hit $150 within a year. After fees and everything, you will make 40-50$ which isn't too bad. 

However, the sets long term success (doubling or tripling in value) will really depend on tons of factors, the biggest maybe being how many are stashed away which we will never know.

Either way, the set is a winner to me. Saying that, I don't have any stashed away yet as I just haven't seen a big enough sale on them to bite and I feel like they will linger a bit. The set is one of my christmas targets though.