Balance between collector and investor

Billtich

I just got back into Lego since I was a kid, I'm in college now. My collection is purely lego Star Wars but I guess my question is which of the 2012/2013 sets should I buy and keep sealed for future sale before they are retired. I have most clone 2012 and 2013 sets but the thing is I opened them and I'd have a hard time selling some of them because I want them for my collection. Before they are retired what should I buy duplicates of to keep sealed? I'm thinking the mandalorian speeder because of darth maul, I obviously want to keep mine. What else? Suggestions anyone? Probably another desert skiff but I'm inexperienced on the investment side of things so I could use some pointers.

Thanks!

I think conventional wisdom is that sets based on the original trilogy do better than ones based on the other movies or the Clone Wars. Secondly, you'll want to stay clear of sets that are likely to be remade fairly quickly after they retire. I believe there has never been a time when there wasn't a version of the x-wing starfighter in stores and that has greatly hurt the growth in value of older versions.

The big Ultimate Collector Series have historically done very well.. I see a bright future for Ewok Village and the UCS X-wing, but now is probably not yet the time to bite as they'll probably be available at retail price for several years.

To do this successfully, you'll need to have two different hats and change them out as needed.

1. Collector's Hat: Buy whatever you want and can afford with your personal income, pay no attention to whether it's likely to go up in value, and only pay the smallest attention to future resale value by keeping the instructions and maybe the box, and keeping the set itself in good condition (dusted, out of sunlight, etc.)

2. Investor's Hat: Buy at the best price you can the sets you think will do the best in the future. This may bear little to no resemblance to what you buy for your collection - I buy a great many sets to hold or part out that I have absolutely no interest in personally.

Then, you just need a crystal ball to determine future trends and voila!  :thumbsup:

Oh no way It's building that got me back into lego. Total builder. But to fund the hobby, I guess while sets are still in stores I'd want to pick up something that will appreciate well in a couple of years that I would keep sealed. From what most people have said its all about getting the right big set like the Ewok Village and then hanging onto it until the time is right. Thing is those cost tons of money (I know it pays off eventually) not to mention space. I'm wondering what the best mid size sets that are still in stores will be for investing

Ok thanks! That's great advice. I guess the best way to avoid remakes is by avoiding too many of the iconic ships ie: xwing, ywing etc

You'll want to go for something somewhat iconic, but not so iconic that Lego will keep making it forever. The safest bets are probably Death Star and Super Star Destroyer. If those are beyond your budget, my hunch is that the Ewok village will fuel some demand for the 9489 Endor battle pack, but that's assuming that'll retire before the Ewok Village.

In the mid range you could concider Rancor Pit or Tie fighter. it'll always be a bit of a gamble. Be advised that apart from the UCS, Star Wars actually isn't one of the best performing themes (among other things because of the remakes), so if you want to invest in sets between 50-100 bucks maybe you should give other themes (super heroes for example) a thought. Also I suspect sets like the Volkswagen Camper Van and Sopwith Camel will do well in the aftermarket.

• Like 1

Right now I would be stockpiling Jabbas palace. Iconic set, original trilogy, great figs, won't be remade any time soon, and will be eol after this year according to lego themselves after only one year of shelf life. I am only up to 7, but plan on having at least 15-20 before its all said and done. Get them now on discount at amazon, and hopefully on clearance after this Christmas.

To do this successfully, you'll need to have two different hats and change them out as needed.

1. Collector's Hat: Buy whatever you want and can afford with your personal income, pay no attention to whether it's likely to go up in value, and only pay the smallest attention to future resale value by keeping the instructions and maybe the box, and keeping the set itself in good condition (dusted, out of sunlight, etc.)

2. Investor's Hat: Buy at the best price you can the sets you think will do the best in the future. This may bear little to no resemblance to what you buy for your collection - I buy a great many sets to hold or part out that I have absolutely no interest in personally.

Then, you just need a crystal ball to determine future trends and voila!  :thumbsup:

This is pretty spot on - but I tend to mix the two together as my investing primarily funds my personal collection. I still buy whatever I want to add to my collection but a lot of that disposal income comes from quick flips and a few long term investments.

That sounds good but I'm greedy lol. I just started collecting so I haven't thought about selling yet, but just thinking about parting with some of these sucks. I need to start picking my battles I guess, or cracking and opening up one of my investors sets to build once. I mean I get the point of resale value but to me buying and keeping a lego set aside is just wrong hahah

I just got back into Lego since I was a kid, I'm in college now. My collection is purely lego Star Wars but I guess my question is which of the 2012/2013 sets should I buy and keep sealed for future sale before they are retired. I have most clone 2012 and 2013 sets but the thing is I opened them and I'd have a hard time selling some of them because I want them for my collection. Before they are retired what should I buy duplicates of to keep sealed? I'm thinking the mandalorian speeder because of darth maul, I obviously want to keep mine. What else? Suggestions anyone? Probably another desert skiff but I'm inexperienced on the investment side of things so I could use some pointers.

Thanks!

Think Tony Montana and his downfall for not following Frank's advice "Don't get high on your own supply."  

My goal is always build for free and profit second.  Watch Ebay to see what is of value and make your own judgment.  There are plenty of opportunities to flip and buy and hold.