Return on investment - When to sell?

ericholm

This is strictly a matter of personal choice. It depends what kind of return you are hoping for as an investor. Are you looking to retire at 50, or just fund your building habit? In a way, this is like playing the stock market. I currently work at an organization who deals largely in Apple products. A lot of people who work here either currently own stock in Apple, or have owned it at one point. There are people who are kicking themselves for selling it at $60 a share a few years ago. The funny thing is, until the stock shot up in recent years, that person who sold it at $60 at the time was considered a genius. I look at it this way. Decide in advance what kind of return you would like. If you decide you would like to sell at double the MSRP, then make your decision and stick to it. Then you are eliminating the guess work and all the sleepless nights of wondering if "now is the time to sell or not." Pick a percentage and go with it. The best part about this is, if the values falls out, you still have a nice LEGO collection. You have future Christmas and birthday gifts for family members. Or..more obviously, you have lots of great LEGO sets to build. :)

This is strictly a matter of personal choice. It depends what kind of return you are hoping for as an investor.

Are you looking to retire at 50, or just fund your building habit?

In a way, this is like playing the stock market.

I currently work at an organization who deals largely in Apple products. A lot of people who work here either

currently own stock in Apple, or have owned it at one point. There are people who are kicking themselves for

selling it at $60 a share a few years ago. The funny thing is, until the stock shot up in recent years, that person

who sold it at $60 at the time was considered a genius.

I look at it this way. Decide in advance what kind of return you would like. If you decide you would like to sell

at double the MSRP, then make your decision and stick to it. Then you are eliminating the guess work and all

the sleepless nights of wondering if "now is the time to sell or not." Pick a percentage and go with it.

The best part about this is, if the values falls out, you still have a nice LEGO collection. You have future Christmas

and birthday gifts for family members. Or..more obviously, you have lots of great LEGO sets to build. :)

Great points. Picking a percentage is a good way to go. You cannot lose money if the set doubles in value and you sell. You might not make as much as you could have, but at least you made a profit. Lego sets don't appreciate forever.

Thanks for the great insight everyone. I have some potter sets that have more than x15 in value and they don't look like they are slowing down, I would have been gutted to sell them at x2 value and then know what they could have acheived. Although its all about the maths as if If I did sell at x2 value I could have re-invested and x2 many times over the same time period and might have been better off! I think at x2 value sets are easier to sell on, whereas a x15 value set only has a limited audience (Such as brickpicker members!). Cheer and goodluck everyone whatever your strategy is.

• 3 months later...

For sets which are current, I tend to sell when their value is high and sold out at many places. For discontinued sets, I watch the trend and try to maximize. Remember, these will never been made again so the longer you wait, the value "should" appreciate. Inventory will dwindle and prices should rise. I chart it and see how the prices are. Once I see it leveling or plateauing, I tend to sell. It really depends on ones situation and how desperate you need the money. If you don't need the money, I'd maximize as much as I could on discontinued sets. My thinking is why make $10 now when I could possibly make $50 later. But for those who need the money or are fast flippers, they like to flip through inventory quickly to rebuy more. So, it solely depends on one's strategy.

Now I'm planning some set to invest in but in the past I bought/sold some LEGO and now I'm sure it was wrong abou something in the past cause I was involved in vintage toys trading... I've to say I was not aware about LEGO market but otherwise... Bought an UCS Millenium Falcon for 500

• 1 month later...