What's going on here?

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with the following ebay sales for the VW polybag?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X15-LEGO-40079-MINI-VW-CAMPER-VAN-New-Sealed-Polybag-/251338920492?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item3a84f7922c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X10-LEGO-40079-MINI-VW-CAMPER-VAN-New-Sealed-Polybag-/251338919707

Same seller & same winning bidder, but why are the prices so high?

Have these accounts been hacked?

Cheers!

Funny cause you need to have 2 bidders willing to go that high in order to get that price. I just write stuff like that off as an anomaly and forget it. There were a bunch of Barrel Escape minifigs a few weeks ago that sold for $31 each. (Sweet, part that set out for a cool $150!) Not sure what some people do/think when they are on Ebay!

What is a straw bidder?

A virtual bidder that doesn't actually exist. Similar to a shill bidder (a bidder colluding with, or an alternate identity for, the runner of the auction) who serves as false competition for a legitimate bidder in order to drive the price up. In this case, though, you probably have multiple straw bidders - once the price reaches a certain level there are no legitimate bidders, just shell accounts bidding to create a false price history for the item, intended to gull buyers checking the price history of an item into believing an unreasonably-priced (but cheaper) listing is a better deal.

Looking at the bid history: there is no way someone with 23k feedback is legitimately bidding 55.55 and 66.66 for a currently-available polybag, for example.

I bid against a straw bidder once. When the bogus bid won because I didnt bid up again, the seller messaged me. "I've had a problem before with the winning bidder, so I don't want to sell to him. I'll sell to you for your last bid."

No, thanks. I caught onto your ruse two bids ago B) Enjoy relisting, oh and that final value fee.

• 2 weeks later...