Sold an Item on Ebay - Buyer immediately left feedback

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

Guest TabbyBoy

Like I mean immediately - "Great Seller".

I mean, I am great, but I would have expected them to wait to get the item, :)

Anyone else ever seen this? they only have 25 transactions so I don't know how it could be an error (I have done this before when leaving feedback for 30 things a the same time).

I'm not surprised you are suspicious as this happened to me once when I was selling mountain bike parts.  Once the item was sent and received, the buyer then did a PayPal reversal so, effectively got the item for free.  I raised a case with eBay and got refunded about a month after.  Does this buyer have 100% feedback?  Call me a snob but, anyone with less than 99.5% is a concern.

It happened to me previously with a new buyer, then they emailed to let me know they received the item and were happy a week later. Could always be someone who just doesn't know how it all works. 

I'm guessing this is right. Since he only has 25 feedback, chances are that he's a fairly new eBayer, and doesn't know that you should leave feedback after receiving the item.

OR, you were just that outstanding of a seller that he couldn't help but leave feedback! :D

Feedback is meaningless on ebay so I would not be concerned about it one way or the other. DSR's is what counts especially if you have less than 300. Drop below 4.6 in any category and you will be permanently banned from selling during the next ban hammer round. Now you play the 45 day waiting game through ebay and the 180 day waiting game through paypal if they used a credit card. Good luck.

Like I mean immediately - "Great Seller".

I mean, I am great, but I would have expected them to wait to get the item, :)

Anyone else ever seen this? they only have 25 transactions so I don't know how it could be an error (I have done this before when leaving feedback for 30 things a the same time).

I wonder what Stephen thinks about this.  He always complains about not receiving feedbacks and here you are getting immediate positive feedback :)

This is not unheard of.  I had one like this: "Great. Can't wait to get the item" ;)

Feedback is meaningless on ebay so I would not be concerned about it one way or the other. DSR's is what counts especially if you have less than 300. Drop below 4.6 in any category and you will be permanently banned from selling during the next ban hammer round. Now you play the 45 day waiting game through ebay and the 180 day waiting game through paypal if they used a credit card. Good luck.

I wouldn't say feedback is meaningless. It certainly isn't everything, but it can give you good insight into the users history or lack there of if there are other red flags. I get one or 2 negative feedback every year. It doesn't bother me much. Since it's always been from someone who is either completely stupid (like saying the a set was missing pieces when the discription clearly said the set was incomplete) or someone who just naturally has a stick up their rear and there is nothing you can do to make them happy (like my current negative feedback effecting my score, the item's packaging damaged when it arrive on a common $25 item and he said it was because I didn't pack it well. I let him keep the item and refunded ALL of his money and he said that wasn't enough to keep him from leaving me negative feedback because of the "principle of the matter.").

I wonder what Stephen thinks about this.  He always complains about not receiving feedbacks and here you are getting immediate positive feedback :)

This is not unheard of.  I had one like this: "Great. Can't wait to get the item" ;)

I've gotten a couple of these before too.

Is that really true? That a score below 4.6 on a dsr will lead to a ban?

I have had that happen.  I found it unusual also but have no complaints.  I'm sure if they wanted to lodge a complaint with Ebay it would still be well within their rights if a package arrived in less than stellar condition or otherwise misrepresented.  I'm sure logically Ebay would see that they buyer could not have possibly received their item that quickly and disregard the instant feedback.

maybe they're a time traveler or psychic 

Maybe they are the people selling the "retired" Death Star for $1000 on Ebay

Is that really true? That a score below 4.6 on a dsr will lead to a ban?

I believe its less than that. When I first started selling stuff on Ebay (long time ago) they just had feedback. Right after they added the ratings, I started selling musical equipment. People who buy it are absolute snobs about it. I got a couple of bad ratings early. I got a warning as one of mine was 4.3. I think 4.6 is not great but its not the actual level to worry about.

I have found that buyers have been quite a bit nicer as these ratings have come along. Early days, people gave you a 3 for "average". Didn't realize EBay penalized you for that.

So what's the expected ebay culture for feedback, anyway? What I've traditionally done as a seller, is leave feedback when a buyer pays. As a buyer, since you are taking the first step in paying first before you get the item, I've waited to give feedback until after the seller gives me feedback. This is how I envision it should be done, but maybe I'm not seeing something, because I've had many "stalemate" situations in the past, often when I'm the buyer...I expect the seller to leave me good feedback when my payment went through, and they won't...so to return the favor I've avoided leaving them feedback, even after receipt of the item.

So what's the expected ebay culture for feedback, anyway? What I've traditionally done as a seller, is leave feedback when a buyer pays. As a buyer, since you are taking the first step in paying first before you get the item, I've waited to give feedback until after the seller gives me feedback. This is how I envision it should be done, but maybe I'm not seeing something, because I've had many "stalemate" situations in the past, often when I'm the buyer...I expect the seller to leave me good feedback when my payment went through, and they won't...so to return the favor I've avoided leaving them feedback, even after receipt of the item.

There are tons of different schools of thought. I generally don't make any feedback decisions based on what the buyer or seller I was involved with did.

As far as buying, I bulk leave after I have sold 20-30 items. Buying feedback is really a joke anyway, but some need the positives so I leave.

Selling feedback I leave once I receive the item and verify its as described. I always leave ratings, and generally good ones unless it was something egregious.