Greetings from Canada

Good evening,

I *think* I came across Brick Picker through The Brothers Brick, or maybe a link off a link off a link on Youtube.  Either way, it immediately caught my attention as an investment strategy.

About seven years ago I became an AFOL, built some MOCs and then ran out of time.  I also realized for my creative purposes that modelling in foam was more my thing.  But, now I'm stuck with about $10K in Lego to liquidate.

The speculation part of this Lego investing fits with my current outlook on investing.  I follow Casey Research and speculate on physical assets like gold and silver.  ABS plastic bricks is no different and a hard asset that I can own and liquidate when the time is right.  I'm all in!

While I find my way around the site and learn the ins and outs of Lego speculating I do have one question: smoker's homes and kit storage.

When I'd buy bricks from Bricklink for my MOCs many stores would emphasize that their inventory was from a 'non-smoking home.'  I an see how giving your kid a minifig that smells like auntie Ruth on her fourth pack of Lucky Strikes is probably a turn off, but for dealing in mint kits in the box I don't quite follow the risk.  I do live in a smoking home (my roomie smokes, I don't), but I can't see selling a kit and having it returned because the cardboard has a hint of Pall Mall.  

What are people's thoughts on this?  Having to rent a storage locker would immediately drive up my costs, and as Carnegie said, "keep costs down and the profits will follow."

Glad to join, more from me to come.

Aedmundi

Many people are buying the set to keep in the box. They don't want it to smell like smoke.

Other people treat the box like art itself and they will hold onto the box even long after they've opened the set and built it.

Some people don't give a crap about the box and toss it immediately. 

Smoking LIMITS your potential buyers. I personally like to keep the boxes for most sets. My wife and I start sneezing a lot more when I buy legos that have been around smoke. Boxes are even worse.

Guest eightbrick

Hi! Nice to see another canuck!

I would just store them in a place where not much smoke gets into, probably garbage bag them then store them into plastic boxes and bag the boxes again. That way they aren't really exposed to the smoke, and I would go with plastic boxes rather than cardboard because cardboard just soaks in the smell I heard. Vacuum sealed bags would be the best, but they are pretty expensive. Perhaps silica gel packs would also help?

Anyway, here's an article on general storage by one of our members, but it does not cover a smoking environment: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-13-lego-storage-wars/?st=40#commentsStart