Harry Potter Universe - new movie announced

TheDarkness

Now this is interesting news.....

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/harry-potter-spinoff-movie-series-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-announced

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie Series Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Announced The new series is set seventy years before Harry Potter.
by Eric Goldman
SEPTEMBER 12, 2013

Warner Bros. have announced a new film series that will be set in the same world as Harry Potter: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Potter fans will recognize the title, as it was used for a Potter spinoff book, presented as a Hogwarts textbook read by Harry, Ron and Hermione. The film will be an original story centered on the supposed author of that book, Newt Scamander. JK Rowling will write the first film herself, making her screenwriting debut.

Fantastic Beasts is a spinoff of the Potter series, set in the same universe, though Rowling cautions that it

• Like 1

Cool. The 39 year old in me is saying "well there's another studio cashgrab". But like the new Star Wars movies, I need to see this from the perspective of my 5 and 2 year old. They will probably LOVE this stuff, and it will be cool standing in line with them on opening day, popcorn in hand, waiting to see a new HP movie. So I guess I am happy.

Sounds neat as I love the fantastic mythos of legendary creatures but outside of odd playsets, I'm not sure what could be done as actual sets. I can see a whole lot of new molds for these critters which Lego keeps stating how expensive they are yet keeps on creating them for the likes of Chima, Galaxy Squad, and the Minifigures line among a number of other recent themes.

Just like every other HP thread, prepare for the naysayers who have more "inside access" into what LEGO is planning to do than the rest of us.

Lets speculate, not just trash an idea like usual.

I feel as though people trash Harry Potter because it is successful.  People like to trash talk things that made it big.  It's like the person who likes a band when they first come out, and then proceed to hate them once they become extremely popular.

Naysayers are welcome to post as many times as they like..  The fewer investors/resellers interested in any possible future sets, the better it is for us who understood the :money:  :money: :money: potentials. 

Agreed.  If there are new Harry Potter sets, I want everyone to stay far away from them!

I love first 4 books of HP.  Pretty cool books for kids.  I don't like how the series switches to dark stuff after that. 

Any way, spinoff sounds nice, both movies (right, they missed opportunity to make entire HP series in 3d so have to do it now... not a big fan of 3d) and Lego sets.

I'm not on about Lego, Just JKR. Stomping

No problem with your post. She may not be a great writer but she's a marketing genius and knows how to create a superb product.

I actually like how the themes in the books changed along with their perceived age, it makes sense. A 17 year old Potter can't be dealing with the same problems and situations the 12 year old one did.

• Like 1

I actually like how the themes in the books changed along with their perceived age, it makes sense. A 17 year old Potter can't be dealing with the same problems and situations the 12 year old one did.

Thank you. We also knew from the beginning Harry was going to fight Voldemort eventually so everything couldn't remain all sweet and innocent as before. Characters were gonna die or be killed while everyone and everything was maturing. I understand how more kid friendly the first ones were but, much like the children the story revolved around, things needed to grow up.

Thank you. We also knew from the beginning Harry was going to fight Voldemort eventually so everything couldn't remain all sweet and innocent as before. Characters were gonna die or be killed while everyone and everything was maturing. I understand how more kid friendly the first ones were but, much like the children the story revolved around, things needed to grow up.

People ignore the fact that she wrote the books so kids could grow up and along with Harry and friends. I read them recently, straight through one after another for the first time, and the story progresses beautifully. The books may not be literary genius, but that's not what I want out of children's fantasy stories - I want entertainment and this universe supplied plenty.

The first appearance of the Dementors illustrates this perfectly as that is the first point when the kids (and readers) realize that they're growing up and stuff is getting serious.

I'd love to see more stories in this universe, just not the grown-up Harry and Ron - I don't care about their kids and that last bit of the Deathly Hallows is SO FORCED is ridiculous. Give me some Durmstrang school stories, or whatever the hell is happening in America because they gloss it over... the world she created has so much more life, I hope we get to see the rest.

I understand the idea.  I still don't like the late books, that's it.  Somewhat bizarre, somewhat boring, like the writer was trying to find the way as she was writing.  Just my opinion :)

I'd love to see more stories in this universe, just not the grown-up Harry and Ron - I don't care about their kids and that last bit of the Deathly Hallows is SO FORCED is ridiculous. Give me some Durmstrang school stories, or whatever the hell is happening in America because they gloss it over... the world she created has so much more life, I hope we get to see the rest.

Exactly what I'd like to see. 

Just because another movie is being made doesn't mean more sets are being made. BUT, I think TLG will produce a few more HP sets. LOL

I guess this isn't as exciting as I thought it would be, since I don't own very many HP sets, though if more are released, I will be picking at least a few up.

Gosh! I remember when I first got into LEGO investing, Diagon Alley was on sale on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home along with the Imperial Shuttle at regular price!  :suicide:

I think the last bit of Deathly Hallows was trying to close the door for herself. It translated worse on screen too. 

I don't have a problem with more movies or more books if that is what they want to do. As has been mentioned in this thread, there is so much potential to develop the HP world further. 

At this stage I doubt we will necessarily see more HP sets based on a different movie but they might try to cash in as they did with Lord of the Rings sets being released before  and during The Hobbit trilogy.