Storage!!

I was looking for advice on storage of Lego sets. I currently have them wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in 27 gallon totes. I have to many to keep in the house and wanted to get your thoughts about storing them in my garage. I live in Central California so the weather is upper 90's in the summer and the 30's in the winter. Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

I was looking for advice on storage of Lego sets. I currently have them wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in 27 gallon totes. I have to many to keep in the house and wanted to get your thoughts about storing them in my garage. I live in Central California so the weather is upper 90's in the summer and the 30's in the winter. Thanks for any input.

I started putting them everywhere, even my toilet tank to hide them from my family......JK!  You should be good weatherwise, only thing I worry about is humidity.

I'm also in central California and in my experience it depends on your garage. We just moved and have a garage that gets very hot on even fairly mild days and I wouldn't want to store our books or Lego there for more than a few weeks at a time.

However, at our previous house it stayed pretty mild even on very hot and cold days, and I kept books for more than three years sometimes without any adverse affects.

Luckily, in central Cal. we're fairly dry overall - the mugginess we've had the last couple days are our exception rather than our rule - so I wouldn't be overly concerned about humidity and haven't found it an issue in 15 years selling books.

I'd try storing your sets in a place that is hard to get to, but easy enough to access when needed. For example, when I first started out, I just stored the sets on a recently emptied shelf. Almost every day, they would be handled and moved around. I then moved it to an attic space that requires pulling down a ladder, and putting on shoes, and now, I only go up to put sets away.

I did have a few sets in my garage, which turned out to be not that great. I live in FL and it is rainy season. I have since relocated the collection to the top shelf of each of the closets throughout the house, minus my oldest sons room. Too tempting for him. 100 sets takes up some space. The loose bulk brick are in the garage in plastic steralite totes. 

I now store the sets in my bedroom, but its getting kind of to much now lol. Would it be safe to move them to the attic? The attic gets hot in summer and off course cold in winter. But I dont think its to humid when its cold. Would that be a problem? I also keep the sets in separate brown cardboard boxes in which Lego ships the sets.

Can I wrap the brown cardboard in Saran wrap to keep humidity out our wouldn't that work?