Boy Scouts, Popcorn, and ... Lego?

MartinP

I am a Boy Scout in my local troop and every year my troop sells popcorn to support all the different activities that we do all year. So today I received all the information I needed to start selling popcorn. As I was looking through it, one thing caught my eye. This year, one of the prizes for selling popcorn is the Lego Star Wars 7964 Republic Frigate. I was very shocked. How can they give this out as a prize if the set is retired. That is something I am questioning. Anyway, to get this prize, you must sell at least $3,500 in popcorn. I have seen Lego sets being given out as prizes before, but they were some of the small sets worth $10. Now, they are giving a bigger prize for selling more popcorn. What do you think of this? It that a fair prize for what you are selling?

Lego may have donated sets to the BSA for fundraising efforts, so that may be why they can offer a retired set.

How much is the average popcorn order? $10, $20? It's a lot of popcorn to sell, but if you have the time it's definitely a good cause as you know, and nice to have a decent reward for it, too.

Lego may have donated sets to the BSA for fundraising efforts, so that may be why they can offer a retired set.

How much is the average popcorn order? $10, $20? It's a lot of popcorn to sell, but if you have the time it's definitely a good cause as you know, and nice to have a decent reward for it, too.

The popcorn prices vary from $10 - $50. For me, the average order is around $20. I know for sure that I will not get that prize. I only sell about $2,000 in popcorn each year. $3,500 is way to much for me to sell. Another part, I am starting high school, so that will cut into my selling time.

Ebay value on a sealed frigate is around $100. I don't know many high school kids who make $33 an hour. Plus, it's for the boy scouts. A good cause sometimes trumps profit.

A good cause always trumps profit. Anyway, there will not be many scouts that get this prize. There are less than 200 scouts who sell at least $3,500.

If it takes more than 3 hours to sell $3,500 worth of popcorn, it aint worth it.

I disagree. As a kid there isn't a lot of chances to make money - plus my parents refused to buy me big toys opting for sports stuff and school stuff. I guarantee you I would have done it. Now you might have had more understanding parents - lol. I hope you did, my childhood didn't have a lot of toys in it :)

Ebay value on a sealed frigate is around $100. I don't know many high school kids who make $33 an hour. Plus, it's for the boy scouts. A good cause sometimes trumps profit.

For sure - and actually sealed Frigate is about $125 - I have sold two for that plus shipping this month :) But I am right with you. I went all through Boy Scouts and I dominated these sales awards. I am not talented at much, but my gift is that I work harder than most everyone else. I sold 10 grand of wisconsin cheese and sausage one year and won $150.

I would say go for it. More rewarding that the set is the satisfaction you get knowing you achieved a lofty goal for a great cause.

Martin - get your Eagle Scout award. You will not regret it. Its probably my most treasured accomplishment (I don't have a ton, lol) in life. I got a full ride to University of Louisville because of it. It is something that no one can ever doubt the work you put into.

• Like 1

I disagree. As a kid there isn't a lot of chances to make money - plus my parents refused to buy me big toys opting for sports stuff and school stuff. I guarantee you I would have done it. Now you might have had more understanding parents - lol. I hope you did, my childhood didn't have a lot of toys in it :)

For sure - and actually sealed Frigate is about $125 - I have sold two for that plus shipping this month :) But I am right with you. I went all through Boy Scouts and I dominated these sales awards. I am not talented at much, but my gift is that I work harder than most everyone else. I sold 10 grand of wisconsin cheese and sausage one year and won $150.

I would say go for it. More rewarding that the set is the satisfaction you get knowing you achieved a lofty goal for a great cause.

Martin - get your Eagle Scout award. You will not regret it. Its probably my most treasured accomplishment (I don't have a ton, lol) in life. I got a full ride to University of Louisville because of it. It is something that no one can ever doubt the work you put into.

I am aiming to get that set for a prize, but I do not have high hopes. I am currently working on my Eagle Scout project and finishing up the last few merit badges. After that, I am an Eagle Scout.

I am a Life Scout and I have seen this too. My troop sells wreaths and popcorn since the local Cub Scouts also sell popcorn. Most of my sales come from the wreaths so my chances of getting the frigate is very low.

One main reasons why I haven't been on Brickpicker as much lately is because I'm focusing my time on my remaining Merit Badges. I also plan on starting my Eagle Scout project soon too.