UCS sets - worth picking up used ?

patchb

Lets qualify a bit - $200 for the whole lot. As far as an investment, not worth it as their growth will be slow from now on most likely, although the interceptors used value has risen some as of late.

To build - yes, definitely. If you want to keep them this is the best deal you will ever get.

As far as buying to resell, brickpicker data says worth $500 together. so you would have a decent profit there.

Thanks for the advices...I maybe too late, they were part of a set with some other stuff for $325. I passed on the other stuff and was just after the UCS sets, but I think hes had an offer for the lot. Live and learn (to pull triggers faster).

The whole deal was those 2 UCS sets + 7151 Sith Infiltrator (used $18), 7180 B-wing (used $30) and 7190 M Falcon (used $88) for $325....I offered him $200 for just the UCS sets...he was biting until he got an offer on the lot at asking price. I have first refusal if the buyer falls through. Fingers crossed !

def get the tie intercepter.  just be aware there is a good chance some light gray elements will be discolored.

i would avoid the x-wing as it's been remade unless you plan to build and display.   the price (for investing purposes) will continue to fall but $100 isn't a bad price.

I respectfully disagree with regards to the 7191.  The 7191 has continued to increase in value since the new Red 5 X-Wing was released.  

I respectfully disagree with regards to the 7191. The 7191 has continued to increase in value since the new Red 5 X-Wing was released.

. No prob Ed. A good respectful debate is healthy. I'll double-check my ebay data (all manually done of course - ha) Can we also revisit this topic again in a few months. It takes a good (about) 6 months after a set is refreshed for the original to begin decreasing in value. I still have not found a refreshed (themed) set that held it's peak or near peak value after the new one reached non-Lego stores (eg Amazon) for a few months. This excludes sets like 10300 and 6211 since the later wasn't UCS.

. No prob Ed. A good respectful debate is healthy. I'll double-check my ebay data (all manually done of course - ha) Can we also revisit this topic again in a few months. It takes a good (about) 6 months after a set is refreshed for the original to begin decreasing in value. I still have not found a refreshed (themed) set that held it's peak or near peak value after the new one reached non-Lego stores (eg Amazon) for a few months. This excludes sets like 10300 and 6211 since the later wasn't UCS.

I think we should revisit the topic. This is the first time there has been a remake of a UCS set, so it is very interesting to see what will happen.

Thanks for the advices...I maybe too late, they were part of a set with some other stuff for $325. I passed on the other stuff and was just after the UCS sets, but I think hes had an offer for the lot. Live and learn (to pull triggers faster).

This is a good lesson we should all learn - I have had trouble with this as well. Situation is someone has a lot with a set or two worth good money, and a bunch of crap (unless  you want to build it). So you offer them money to just split it up which is sort of a form of getting greedy but understandable. They have a deal - and then someone buys the whole lot.

My time I made that mistake - Guy had a Hogwarts Castle, the Knight Bus, and the Extension to the Castle. Wanted $200 for the lot used which according to brickpicker is in the realm of $300 depending on what months data you look at.

I didn't want the knight bus or the extension so I offered $125 for the Hogwarts only. We were going to meet, and then he sold all three to someone. If I had bought the lot, I could have made my money back still.

So lesson learned for both of us. Don't spend too much time trying to break down a lot someone has. $325 was still a good deal for just the two UCS sets, so the other stuff could be considered gravy just as $200 would have been a good deal for me.