Convince me one way or the other...

hello fellow brickpickers,

a moment of your time please. I think I know the answer to this, but would appreciate some opinions from some varied points of view. I have an opportunity to purchase a jabbas's sail barge, jabba's palace, and rancor pit for $240. all three are mint in box, with no tax or shipping charges. currently the palace and rancor pit are available on amazon for $95 and $48, respectively. both with no tax or shipping. $240-$143=$97 for the sail barge. unless I am missing something, there have not been any discounts on the barge (yet), so if I bought one local including tax it would cost me $126.59. that would be a savings of 23% on a sail barge if bought for $97.

my gut is telling me this is a solid deal with plenty of room for growth, but for some reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. all three are for investment. I love the palace. the pit is so-so, but the rancor is a sweet fig. the barge is new and a re-make, but looks pretty sweet and has some great figs. I already have a few of each (palace and pit), but wouldn't mind more palaces. this would be my first barge.

do you think 23% off on the barge is good enough to pull the trigger on a barge right now since it just came out, with a palace and pit also included at lower than retail prices?

thank you!

It's essentially 20% off MSRP for all 3---is that enough for you? I'm no fan of the new sail barge---I'd rather have the old design , but I'd take the new minifigs.  Personally I'd pass, but that's b/c I have the Palace and Pit at lower entry points and I'm nixing this sail barge.

• Like 1

Okay deal, Terry, but not drop dead awesome.  Downsides to it:

1. Price is/will be available later

2. You're tying up a decent chunk of money in the Sail Barge that will likely not mature for another 3-4 years. 

If you don't mind sitting on the Barge for awhile, I would try to squeeze a better price out of these.  Offer them $200 and see if they bite.  If not, buy JP and RP from Amazon and invest the $100 in used sets to flip quickly on eBay.  Six months and a few flips later, you will have tripled that $100 (or more) if you're smart about your purchases.  Then, you can invest that money in a clearanced Sail Barge and have $200 in your pocket.

• Like 2

I would not at $240. My targets on the Rancor pit and Palace are $40 and $80 respectively.

As far as the sail barge is concerned, I think it is extremely overpriced. It should be 99.99 if not lower. I don't think I would pay over $80 for it as an investment.

So I guess I would say Quacs is right - $200 would be perfect.

If not, I would offer him $120 or so for just the palace and Rancor pit. Palace should be gone this year and the rancor wont be too long after.

• Like 1

How about this for another way to view this transaction. It will be more cash out of pocket, but I think you will get a ton more value. 1. Target Red card get the Palace on line for $95.99 through ******...saves 7% and shipping is free (brings this cost to $89.25). Or you can buy from LEGO Shop at Home and get both free poly bags (the VW and the Clone), but that may not be worth it for you as you'd pay full retail. 2.Sail barge at LEGO Shop at Home by itself and get both polybags. (Let's say they are $30 combined value) 3. Rancor pit from LEGO Shop at Home by itself. You will pay a bit more but can get the Polybag. I would even consider adding something here to get over $75. You can use the $5 in VIP points you earned from the Sail Barge. You also would get another $5 back in VIP points (if you got the Rancor pit order over $75, which you probably should) You still might need to pay sales tax though...

• Like 1

This is a classic example of the opportunity cost being too high.  You can do much more with the $100 you are about to sink into the Sail Barge for 3-4 years.  This set will likely be available to you in a year or two, and likely for the same or possibly a better price.  Squeeze them down, and you've got a deal...

• Like 2

hello fellow brickpickers,

a moment of your time please. I think I know the answer to this, but would appreciate some opinions from some varied points of view. I have an opportunity to purchase a jabbas's sail barge, jabba's palace, and rancor pit for $240. all three are mint in box, with no tax or shipping charges. currently the palace and rancor pit are available on amazon for $95 and $48, respectively. both with no tax or shipping. $240-$143=$97 for the sail barge. unless I am missing something, there have not been any discounts on the barge (yet), so if I bought one local including tax it would cost me $126.59. that would be a savings of 23% on a sail barge if bought for $97.

my gut is telling me this is a solid deal with plenty of room for growth, but for some reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. all three are for investment. I love the palace. the pit is so-so, but the rancor is a sweet fig. the barge is new and a re-make, but looks pretty sweet and has some great figs. I already have a few of each (palace and pit), but wouldn't mind more palaces. this would be my first barge.

do you think 23% off on the barge is good enough to pull the trigger on a barge right now since it just came out, with a palace and pit also included at lower than retail prices?

thank you!

Not even close. Non of these sets are retired and you can get the Barge for 20% off all day right now... wait until clearance time for the Palace and Rancor and you can definitely get a better deal.

Invest the money elsewhere.

I got the price down to $225, which brought the barge down to $82 (35% off). I am happy with that so I bought the lot. I am fine with the investment sitting for awhile. either it sits in my money market account gaining .05% interest, or it can sit in my brickfolio for a couple of years appreciating. I know others have seen bigger discounts on the palace at their local walmarts, but mine never went below $95, and are currently back up to $120. if they clearance them out after this holiday season then I will buy more at lower prices then, but I feel comfortable with this deal. I just don't see a bigger discount than 35% on the barge happening any time soon. thanks again for the suggestions, everyone.