Good deal on 4842 and 4867?

4842 is worth about $190 used, and  4867 is worth about $65 used. Total that is $255 for the lot. I think it is a decent deal if you want the sets for your personal collection. For investing, I can see potential for the set. The value of the set has gone up around 70% for the sets, so I can see that there is still some potential growth left.

4842 is worth about $190 used, and  4867 is worth about $65 used. Total that is $255 for the lot. I think it is a decent deal if you want the sets for your personal collection. For investing, I can see potential for the set. The value of the set has gone up around 70% for the sets, so I can see that there is still some potential growth left.

totally agreed the growth should improve for investing if purchased at discounted prices. 

tbmarchant,I only wrote one blog to-date but it is about 4842.

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/23/entry-291-lego-investing-from-the-gut-buying-open-4842-hogwarts-castle-sets-for-profit/

totally agreed the growth should improve for investing if purchased at discounted prices. 

tbmarchant,I only wrote one blog to-date but it is about 4842.

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/23/entry-291-lego-investing-from-the-gut-buying-open-4842-hogwarts-castle-sets-for-profit/

I read the article. It is great. The set is a good investment.

Jaisonline, thanks for linking to your blog post. I thought it was very well done.

I think I'm going to see how far I can talk the guy down and probably take a shot on it. I'll reply back with my results in a few days.

were you able to make a deal?   if not, def keep your eyes open.   there are complete 4842s (usually no box) at there for less than $130 and 4867s for less than $80 new and $60 used.   

i'm holding on to these sets (along with the train) for selling in 2014.  Will most likely sell 4842 and 4867 in pairs. 

I ended up pulling the trigger and got it for $210. Everything looks complete and in good shape. The previous owner said they just built it and put it up on a book case. There's also a half set of something else that came with it. I'll have to do some research after I inventory everything to see what it came from.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Thanks again for the information.

I ended up pulling the trigger and got it for $210. Everything looks complete and in good shape. The previous owner said they just built it and put it up on a book case. There's also a half set of something else that came with it. I'll have to do some research after I inventory everything to see what it came from.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Thanks again for the information.

congrats

• Like 1

I've taken apart everything and rebuilt both 4842 and 4867. There are only a couple small and fairly common pieces missing on 4842. It is also missing the Harry Potter minifigure, but it's a pretty common and cheap piece. I'll be doing a small bricklink order to get to the 100% complete state on both sets.

There were also a lot of extra pieces that I got from the previous owner. The most exciting extras are a Dobby and Ron minifigure. The Dobby looks like it came from the Freeing Doby set and Ron came from Hagrid's Hut. There were also a lot of duplicate pieces from 4867; and when I say extra pieces I mean lots of extra pieces. I filled up a quart sized zip-lock. I haven't looked into the extra pieces too much yet, but I feel like it's about 1/3 of another 4867.

Overall I happy with the purchase. Now I just need to find some more room to display these two sets.

I've taken apart everything and rebuilt both 4842 and 4867. There are only a couple small and fairly common pieces missing on 4842. It is also missing the Harry Potter minifigure, but it's a pretty common and cheap piece. I'll be doing a small bricklink order to get to the 100% complete state on both sets.

There were also a lot of extra pieces that I got from the previous owner. The most exciting extras are a Dobby and Ron minifigure. The Dobby looks like it came from the Freeing Doby set and Ron came from Hagrid's Hut. There were also a lot of duplicate pieces from 4867; and when I say extra pieces I mean lots of extra pieces. I filled up a quart sized zip-lock. I haven't looked into the extra pieces too much yet, but I feel like it's about 1/3 of another 4867.

Overall I happy with the purchase. Now I just need to find some more room to display these two sets.

Nice man -- that definitely turned out to be a score.