The next big fad?

wholovesboo

So has anyone heard of the Rainbow Loom, or better yet, tried it? I've seen it in my local supermarket as well as at Hallmark, and advertised elsewhere. Seems to be catching on like wildfire. Not sure yet if it's actually "selling out" at places like Michaels. I decided against getting one for my daughter because it looked a little too complicated for her age. I suspect someone gathered all the (now worthless) leftover Silly Bands, added a crochet hook, and is now laughing all the way to the bank.

Guest eightbrick

Could be. As you said it is very reminiscent of Silly Bandz. That said, it doesn't take people long to get bored of these things.

So has anyone heard of the Rainbow Loom, or better yet, tried it? I've seen it in my local supermarket as well as at Hallmark, and advertised elsewhere. Seems to be catching on like wildfire. Not sure yet if it's actually "selling out" at places like Michaels. I decided against getting one for my daughter because it looked a little too complicated for her age. I suspect someone gathered all the (now worthless) leftover Silly Bands, added a crochet hook, and is now laughing all the way to the bank.

I never understood how girls respond to any particular thing.  One thing can be a fad just like that and be completely abandoned 3 months from now.

I never understood how girls respond to any particular thing.  One thing can be a fad just like that and be completely abandoned 3 months from now.

Completely agree. Silly Bandz were popular for about a half a year to a year. I remember buy some from the store. Now they are worthless. Some of the cheaper lots are selling hundreds for one dollar.

• 1 month later...

Welp, the inevitable has happened. Rainbow Looms are being banned from schools.

Also I'm reading that the looms are sold out at major retailers. Someone's still selling them on Amazon for double the price. I haven't checked eBay yet. It looks like TRU's version is still available though (The Cra-Z-Loom).

Interesting

Welp, the inevitable has happened. Rainbow Looms are being banned from schools.

Also I'm reading that the looms are sold out at major retailers. Someone's still selling them on Amazon for double the price. I haven't checked eBay yet. It looks like TRU's version is still available though (The Cra-Z-Loom). 

These are now following the path of the Silly Bandz.

Interesting concept, it`s understandable why it would be so popular. Hilarious that that school is banning it. If only the kids had as much fun learning as they did making jewellery. 

Funny stuff there

I actually helped make my daughter one today from rainbow loom.  

Cra-z-looms were everywhere today at TRU for $14.99

Yup, next new fad. I expect it to last about 8 months. My sister has some, and has made quite a few bracelets. They do look pretty cool, but that's mainly because it was hand-made (now, if we shipped a couple million of these to Asia and paid people to assemble them...). At a music program that I go to for a few hours on Saturdays, I've seen several 5th grade boys sporting these. Of course, they aren't in the rainbow colors, they're mainly in blues and greens, but nevertheless, it does have a multigender appeal...

Yup, next new fad. I expect it to last about 8 months. My sister has some, and has made quite a few bracelets. They do look pretty cool, but that's mainly because it was hand-made (now, if we shipped a couple million of these to Asia and paid people to assemble them...). At a music program that I go to for a few hours on Saturdays, I've seen several 5th grade boys sporting these. Of course, they aren't in the rainbow colors, they're mainly in blues and greens, but nevertheless, it does have a multigender appeal...

My 13 yr old son and his buddies have several. But they get them from the girls. I dont think any of them have an actual loom themselves.

Have 1.  My wife got my daughter one last month.  I was just shooter her (my daughter) in the back of the head with the little rubberbands I found on the carpet.  She made me one, but it hurts like hell to take off a rubberband bracelet when you have hair on your arms/wrists. She must have made 100 or so, but they all get tossed, eventually.  I don't think they are meant to last, just like the fad that is creating them.

Yeah the looms aren't cheap. Neither are the refill rubberbands. They retail around $4 for a pack of 600 (That sounds like a lot, but the bags are usually all of one color, so you're going to be buying more than one if you don't want to be stuck making monochrome bracelets :).

I'm enjoying reading all the parent perspectives! 

TRU here has a fee setup every Saturday with these crazy rubber bands thingies. My daughter sits there and makes 10 - 15 each time we go. I should have her sell some pre made ones on Ebay.

You know I was surprised that people are actually bidding on handmade rainbow loom bracelets on ebay! I'd say go for it! It's certainly a good way to recoup the cost of those rubber bands.