Lego Star Wars 10179 Sold for $12,500 USD!!!!!!!!!

MartinP

I was looking through the completed auctions on eBay for the 10179 MF, and there was one that stood out to me. Here is the link.

The set is graded 9.25 by the AFA. I am not sure what to make of this. I have never seen this happen before. I do not know anyone who could buy a set  for that much. I know that they probably have very deep pockets.

I was looking through the completed auctions on eBay for the 10179 MF, and there was one that stood out to me. Here is the link.

The set is graded 9.25 by the AFA. I am not sure what to make of this. I have never seen this happen before. I do not know anyone who could buy a set  for that much. I know that they probably have very deep pockets.

I am pretty sure Ed started a thread about another one selling back in December or sometime around then. He said the guy actually is on here.

I follow his auctions. I have a Haunted House that is mint that I am going to try to get graded. Just for fun. He has the monopoly on Ebay.

He sold a General Grievous the other day for over $400.

I am pretty sure Ed started a thread about another one selling back in December or sometime around then. He said the guy actually is on here.

I follow his auctions. I have a Haunted House that is mint that I am going to try to get graded. Just for fun. He has the monopoly on Ebay.

He sold a General Grievous the other day for over $400.

I found another sold listing for the set from the same seller. That one was sold in October 2012. I cannot believe people are buying these sets for that much money. Of course they are in great condition, but it seems like to much money to drop on a Lego set, when you could get one of the exact same, condition for a lot less money.

This may be an undiscovered big part of Lego investing. I mean, there are certainly people out there that will pay this big money for a set.

I think this is a counter argument to the people who say the Falcon can't go any higher. If several people will pay 12K for a good condition one, why couldn't it get to 4-5K in a few years?

Plus Lego seems to be getting away from the mega 5000 piece sets. They keep going in that direction, it makes this set that much more valuable.

I don't get it. Buying a Lego set to keep close forever.

This service has it's Pros (curbing counterfeits & buying peace of mind$. However, AFA , PSA, and CGA have had their cons on other industries.

Many Star Wars vintage , comics, and sport cards items are now unaffordable for many.

AFA also promotes a service where items are removed from sealed packaging for an Uncirculated grade. Other factor is cost for the acrylic cases. For example, I have a 1978 prototype Star Wars Sandcrawler and it's AFA casing cost over $300 before the grading cost.

Like buying non-AFA graded Lego sets there are still chances of resealed sets being graded without all contents...unless it gets the "U" grade.

My pet peeve with the grading services, it is very subjective. My ESB sealed Dagoboh playset was graded an 80 while my MOC Vinyl Cape Jawa was given a 70. Both should be at least 5 points higher (and would prob get the higher grade if I paid the cost for resubmission). My Sandcrawler was graded an 80. How the heck can anyone put a grade on a 1978 prototype? What makes it an 80 when it could be a 90 or even 70. On the flip side, I have less popular items (cards, figs and comics) that were clearly overgraded.

I just hope grading Lego sets don't become too common place. In the long run, it could cause more harm than good for the reasons I mentioned above.

People , we are looking at 30 years of allowance...

I only got 5 a week when I was a kid (and only until I was 14) - it would take me 48 :( Real jobs are much better - you aren't too far away. lol

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I don't think it actually sold. If you look at other completed auctions they show bidders. This one doesn't. I think he put it up on Ebay with a long run time to see if someone would bite.

That was a But it Now. It looks a little weird, but it says sold on it.

If you look at a lot of buy it nows, they will show bidders but its some Ebay bug. If it only says 1 bidder, it a lot of times was a actually a Buy It Now. In my research for a few of my Ebay blogs I noticed this.

Eitherway, Ebay made some serious money off him. $1250 in fees.