If something could top 10179 in price, what would it be?

Whatever it is, it would need to transcend the Lego fan base for starters. The Falcon spanned across multiple demographics, which is why it became so highly sought after and continues to do so. Anything released really will need to hit the fanboy culture of a particular theme, as opposed to a modular release.

Whatever it is, it would need to transcend the Lego fan base for starters. The Falcon spanned across multiple demographics, which is why it became so highly sought after and continues to do so. Anything released really will need to hit the fanboy culture of a particular theme, as opposed to a modular release.

Exactly.  It need to have the following attributes IMHO

1. Appeal to multiple markets and segments.  AFOL's alone will not carry a set that far.

2.  Be absolutely iconic.  I have trouble thinking of a single ship/building/scene that is more enduring and iconic than the Millennium Falcon (well maybe the USS Enterprise, but that is the Trekkie in me talking :whistle: ).  Even a UCS eye of Sauron or Minas Tirith wouldn't do it, I think.

3.  Ludicrous piece count.  10179 was incredibly detailed with no expense spared.  A set would have to top it.  And that would put it in the 500 dollar range...a risky gamble for LEGO.

It is a very tall order and I don't know if LEGO will ever manage to top the 10179.

There are 8 sets over the $1k mark, but the gap between #1 10179 at $2.8k and #2 the Taj Mahal back on $1.6k is a huge rift.

I can't see any sets ever catching 10179 especially as it is still growing  - 30% per year perhaps slowing down now, but is only 5.5 times retail and plenty of sets have gone 10 times plus some.  I can see some of the other top sets reaching the $2-3k mark though.

I don't think any will, but maybe some options:

UCS Hogwarts?

UCS Enterprise from Star Trek?

UCS Golden Gate Bridge?

UCS twin towers memorial?

Would have to be low count production run and high 5000+ piece count.

I was thinking about the Golden Gate Bridge too.  But it has to be more than 5000+ pieces with lots of rare pieces, and must be limited production like 5000 copies ever produced.

^ I've thought about this a lot, and I couldn't agree with you more.  Disney World sets that focused on parts of the park would be a major seller and would do phenomenally well in the after market.  Can you imagine a LEGO Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, or Monorail?  It would be epic.

i could see lego making a set that is very limited edition, or making a 10,000 piece set. either one of those would have the potential without having to spread the large demographic of the 10179 set.

Yeah definitely - Like if Lego made something from Harry Potter, LOTR, or Star Wars that was equally Iconic, and was like the Crawler with 20K special edition.

Nothing will ever surpass the Falcon. It's not the flagship Lego set for nothing.

I 100%...agree until it is remade. Unlike other sets currently selling for over a $1000, 10179 has it all. Higher initial price tag, high # of elements including a nice amount of unique ones, minifigs included, retailed before Lego investing became "common", it is Star Wars, global appeal (to all types of fans: AFOLs, Star Wars, toy, space, H.Ford), etc..

The Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahel are very nice but not unique enough. They just don't pack the "WOW" factor like 10179. The Grand Carousel is very nice, has unique elements, etc... but not sure it attracts Lego fans like 10179.

Regarding unproduced / good idea sets, it would take a limited retail life set of something highly desirable and popular: Disney Magic Castle, USS Enterprise, Titanic, etc...

Well, back on topic, most of the features that I'd think that this set would have to have have already been mentioned:

Piece count.

Theme.

Limited production run.

Certificates for the first XXXX's units produced.

Unique pieces.

Few themes have such a broad appeal as Star Wars, so I'd think it'd have to be either another Star Wars theme or another building a-la Tah Mahal, Eiffel Tower and the like.

The Opera House could have been a good candidate but it's already out there and didn't meet some of the requirements. Maybe an Acropolis, a Sagrada Familia (though the actual building isn't finished), the Roman Colosseum or one of the cool skyscrapers of the world.

I am talking with my wife about this and she thinks that it'd have to be another flagship of a movie. She also thinks that my ideas of buildings are lame  :wub:  :wacko:  :no: