Help me find a laptop

JoshTX

So the gf just got accepted into a Master's program and we only have one laptop in the house, the one I use nearly everyday for my online Bachelor's classes. We haven't bought a computer in about 4-5 years, and don't have alot of experience on what is good to buy. I'm hoping a guru around here could provide suggestions. Here's the specifics to narrow it down a bit:

-Don't want to spend more than 400

-Needs to have ability to run windows, MS office, multiple web browsers

-Don't need any kind of advanced graphics card

-Don't necessarily need disc drive, but need minimum of 300 GB for power point presentations, photos, large PDF files

-Itunes will be used for music, but other than scholarly needs, that's about it (no video games, etc)

I'm thinking she will want to go compact, with a smaller laptop that uses less power and doesn't overheat quickly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would look into the HP DV6 or DV7s - I believe they have a 15inch and maybe a 13inch. I have always had really good results with them.

If she is ok with a netbook, the ACER notebooks are really nice for the money. As well the MSI u100 Winds are really nice and are fairly cheap.

Another good fit is the HP everyday computing laptops. They are sturdy and get the job done. This one fits your requirements:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-2000/D3X05AV?HP-2000z-2d00-Notebook-PC

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

I can attest to HP being a great brand, but a lot of their computers are a bit heavy and have large screens. I think I have a consumer's choice mag somewhere so I'll go check that for you.

I prefer Dell, but it's up to you.  Some people also like Lenovo and Asus.

Graphic cards are integrated with the processor these days, so I'd pick one of i3 or i5-based options with no additional stuff.

Check out techbargains.com as they post deals there pretty often.

notebookcheck.net can give you some ideas.

My choice a bit over a year ago - Dell Vostro 3450 (I needed matt display, so I didn't like Inspirons.  Latitudes are cool and more "durable" but more expensive too).  No problem this far, love the quality.

• Like 1

Guest ph4tb0i

I know I might seem like a tech snob (and this post will offend a lot of people), but if you can avoid all the mainstream crap you see at WM/Target/Best Buy (e.***. Acer/HP/Toshiba/Samsung). 99% of them are just rebadged Chinese Compal/Quanta generic machines. Cheap plastics. flimsy keyboards, stiff touchpads, and horrible, horrible screens. 

I would definitely watch the online Lenovo Outlet like a hawk for a Thinkpad (New or Refurb). Those are quality durable machines that are built like a rock and will take a lot of punishment (not to mention ridiculously easy to service if you need to fix it). Slickdeals had a posting this morning for a $500 Lenovo Twist on the outlet (I think it's a refurb, but definitely much better value than anything that you're going to find for $399 at BBY). 

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Portals/Outlet

Also try to use those Lego hunting skills for machines on eBay. I see so many deals on eBay on a daily basis it's not even funny (e.***. last gen macs, thinkpads, etc.). 

Hope that helps!

Guest eightbrick

Just flipped through two consumer report issues (Canadian version so it might be a bit different). They recommend buying from Costco, Amazon, Newegg, or Tiger Direct for online purchases and for in store they recommend buying from independents, followed by all the big retailers (excluding apple and apple store). Unfortunately they didn't have much on cheaper notebooks, so I turned to CNET, basically the top tech reviewing place.

For under 400 and meeting your criteria, the editors/critics recomend the Asus Eee PC1025C Flare ($369.99). It only got 3 out of five stars but most small netbooks got rated way lower. User ratings put it at 4 stars. 400 dollars isn't going to get you too much. There haven't been that many small netbook releases recently with tablets and convertibles taking over the market (those are too expensive).

It has:

320 GB HDD

1 GB RAM

10.1 inch Display

12.5 hr Batter Life (6 cell)

2.8 Pounds

It looks pretty attractive. Check it out here: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1025c/4505-3121_7-35136090.html

I'll keep digging.

Guest eightbrick

I just got up from a much needed nap with our three Chihuahuas and I'm still a little zoned out. I first read the thread title as "Help Me Find a Lapdog".

I recommend Chihuahuas. Very cuddly.  :rofl:

Ah yes, dont forget about the Chihauhuas, they have very impressive stats:

Pros:

24/7 Battery Life

10-20 Pounds

Innovative Tongue Cooling System that prevents overheating

Biotic Information Storage

Compatible with Water

Security Barking Feature

Cons:

Security Barking Feature :rofl:

Power Source is expenisve

Some Users have reported liquid excreting from the mouth of the device (glitch?)

Not to mention tiny dogs are full of Napoleonic-like little man angst. Larger dogs seems so much more level-headed, at least in my experiences. I guess they don't feel that they have as much to prove. The attitudes give the little dogs alot of character, though. :cat:

Not to mention tiny dogs are full of Napoleonic-like little man angst. Larger dogs seems so much more level-headed, at least in my experiences. I guess they don't feel that they have as much to prove. The attitudes give the little dogs alot of character, though. :cat:

Tell me about it. To me a dog is not something small enough for me to drop kick like a football. Ha. Plus big dogs don't need to prove a thing; none of mine ever did. Tiny 'toy' dogs are annoyingly yippy and bark at everything to then pee in the corner when confronted. All a small dog is good for is being a real dog's chewtoy. :laugh: The smallest dogs I ever had were Basset Hounds and Bulldogs.

Guest eightbrick

Those innocent eyes.... there should be a law or something against posting pics of cute animals. Now I'm going to spend the next half hour watching cute puppies faceplant and little ducklings getting blown away by the wind on Youtube. Dangit, justafrog! xD

So the gf just got accepted into a Master's program and we only have one laptop in the house, the one I use nearly everyday for my online Bachelor's classes. We haven't bought a computer in about 4-5 years, and don't have alot of experience on what is good to buy. I'm hoping a guru around here could provide suggestions. Here's the specifics to narrow it down a bit:

-Don't want to spend more than 400

-Needs to have ability to run windows, MS office, multiple web browsers

-Don't need any kind of advanced graphics card

-Don't necessarily need disc drive, but need minimum of 300 GB for power point presentations, photos, large PDF files

-Itunes will be used for music, but other than scholarly needs, that's about it (no video games, etc)

I'm thinking she will want to go compact, with a smaller laptop that uses less power and doesn't overheat quickly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

With 400 to spend your best bet brand wise will be ASUS or DELL. These two brands will get you the most bang for your buck!