Hello Everyone, Lego Fan, Lego Investor, Live in Africa

Awesome site!!!! There are so many great contributions and so much really good information.

I have a few questions? My lingo is not quite up to scratch, but bear with me.

Why don't Lego investors (or a group of them) buy directly from Lego? Would that not be cheaper?

Is there a way on this site to compare the sets that have appreciated the most over the years from best on down? It is fine to see what is doing well over the last month, but is there a way to see how sets have performed for the past five years, ten years? And to do this in such a way that you can see the best and worst performers.

What mistakes did you make when you started investing in Legos? I would like to try and avoid them.

Is there a place on this site where the best sales times throughout the year are discussed? For instance, when have the best sales been on Lego.com, Amazon, Toysrus, etc. And which places have the best sales on Legos? What discounts are available, like coupons and how does one get them.

What is everyones all time favorite set?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome indeed.  As someone fairly new to this myself, when I first found the site...I read all the articles/topics/evaluations of interest to catch up faster on this Lego investing/hobby. 

I can't answer all your questions but usually we can find a set cheaper on sale outside of Lego store.  Unless of course you like the promo, it's an exclusive, you really like vip pts....or really loyal to the mothership company :) 

My best advice is to not buy too much too fast in the beginning.  Take it easy and look for deals/opportunities.  Have fun. 

For any new business or investment, decide up front how much you will spend each month and don't go beyond that.

My brief time in Lego has taught me quickly that there are ALWAYS great deals to be found SOMEWHERE, so don't panic and overbuy for THIS deal or THAT deal - the tortoise beats the hare every time.

Joesph. I wrote this for you. I definitely did not google it and then claim it as mine:

It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have

To answer your questions about Ebay - people buy them wholesale, or they find them clearanced, or they buy them and then decide they don't want them. We profit!

Welcome to the site!  Always nice to see new areas (Continents) being represented! 

Anyways...my favorite set is the Haunted House...awesome detail.

If I had any advice to someone new I'd echo Justafrog.  Slow down...read through this site.  Read the old blogs and investment articles.  Become a sponge for Lego information THEN formulate a plan.  Once you do that...then STICK to the plan.  Impulse buying can kill you, but on the other hand always be open for a great deal - as long as it fits into your overall plan. 

Welcome.  I bet Lake Malawi is an incredible sight. 

I try for 20-30% off.

Why don't Lego investors (or a group of them) buy directly from Lego? Would that not be cheaper?

You can't do that without being an official reseller and investing in every type of set, good or bad.

Is there a way on this site to compare the sets that have appreciated the most over the years from best on down? It is fine to see what is doing well over the last month, but is there a way to see how sets have performed for the past five years, ten years? And to do this in such a way that you can see the best and worst performers.

Click around all the tools and various links, you might find the data you need.

What mistakes did you make when you started investing in Legos? I would like to try and avoid them.

I bought smaller sets and I bought them at full price. 

Is there a place on this site where the best sales times throughout the year are discussed? For instance, when have the best sales been on Lego.com, Amazon, Toysrus, etc. And which places have the best sales on Legos? What discounts are available, like coupons and how does one get them.

I get the sense that the "Thanksgiving" season in November has the best deals, including "Black Friday."  You might try to buy Lego coupons on Ebay.

What is everyones all time favorite set?

From my youth it was King's Castle, but from more recent sets I'd say Taj Mahal (which I never owned) and Haunted House.

Hello and welcome to the site!

Many of the others have addressed most of your questions, but here are some of the mistakes that I made, some of them could have been avoided and some others I could be not calling them mistakes if I had a huge overflow of money ;)

I bought some Ninjago sets. If I was in the US it would've been a smart choice, but since I live in Europe, I got burned.

I jumped too fast on sets at retail price, only to find out later that I could get them at cheaper prices from online vendors (Amazon.es).

I went too high for some sets that weren't worth it.

Had I spent more time here reading, I wouldn't have made these mistakes. Spend some time here, read a bit and ask for advise.