An odd LEGO prediction

ExoBro94

So, I just finished building the Town Hall modular. While I love the overall buildings in this theme, I'm especially a fan of the micro-builds that go along with them. When I got to building the globe that appears on the third floor of the TH, I was amazed by the piece's fantastic printing. The globe printing is amazingly accurate and I was just in awe of how cool the micro-build turned out. However I was stuck by one little detail more than anything:

post-14160-0-57397500-1376870493.jpg

Do you guys see it? California is clearly separated from the rest of the United States. Now, this cannot be an accident as it would be harder for lego to design and print the little extra piece of the state rater than put it in with the rest of the US "blob". Is LEGO trying to tell us something? Haha, the conspiracy theorist inside me would like to think so.  

• Like 2

Good eye...I guess this one won't EOL until the earthquakes separate us from the rest of the US.  Hahaha!

Yeah! I just found it really odd. I mean, it obviously made printing slightly harder as it would've been easier to just make it a true part of the US. You can clearly see that California has a whole separate outline around it. What does it mean????

many years ago before the entire U.S. was explored and mapped correctly California was thought to be an island. explorers came upon the waterway in Washington state that is connected to the pacific ocean and assumed that it flowed all the way down the entire continent, which would make California an island. old maps actually show this, plus I just saw it on last week's episode of pawn stars...lol. rick was in England buying a couple of old maps and they showed the same thing.

• Like 1

many years ago before the entire U.S. was explored and mapped correctly California was thought to be an island. explorers came upon the waterway in Washington state that is connected to the pacific ocean and assumed that it flowed all the way down the entire continent, which would make California an island. old maps actually show this, plus I just saw it on last week's episode of pawn stars...lol. rick was in England buying a couple of old maps and they showed the same thing.

Wow, pretty cool. But would LEGO think to create the map based off of that? I would think they would want to make it accurate to this day. 

That's when the building was "erected" not necessarily the time period that the modular series takes place in.

This was my response. In one scene during the second film there was a discussion of the world's map filling in, with the backdrop of a map with more detail being added to it.

Very cool, and thanks for sharing info everybody. I never dealt with any POTC sets or knew that old maps were setup like that. Great info!

Guest eightbrick

when was this map made?

Not sure actually, sorry. I forgot the link to where I got it from, but if it is not a reproduction I would imagine it is from the 16-1800s.