4021 police boat (1991)

Ronda

Guys,

if anyone has this set, could you tell me please if those gray parts suppose to come off the hull or if they are glued in somehow?

I'm trying to clean it up and looks like something rusted there (the water goes in and out under those parts).  So any chance to take them out without breaking?

The heavy red brick - any tricks about that one or just leave it alone? :)  Same problem there - a spot of rust.

post-14503-0-20102300-1376200406_thumb.j

Guest eightbrick

It should be a complete assembly, so don't worry if it appears glued. The evidence?

Bricklink lists it as one piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bfloat3c01

The instructions for 4022 (uses the same piece) contain no directions for assembling it as seperate pieces. If it were three pieces it would present them as being assembled: http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4101162.pdf

You may be able to remove them carefully but it is probably better to just leave it, let it dry. If there are holes big enough for water to get in, it can probably dry out. Maybe the ol' technique of leaving it in a bag of rice (like how people dry out their phones that way) will work. Hope that helped.

Guest eightbrick

No, I didn't mean it has spots of glue or anything.  Just weird that you're not suppose to take off those parts.

Indeed. I suspect it was damaged because you would think they would want to make it watertight... Hope it dries out.

I have a 4010 Police Rescue Boat which is about the same concept

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=4010-1

The pieces on the hull are one piece as it is made that way.  You may be able to get them apart but I wouldn't risk it as that would probably break it.  I suggest researching into some rust cleaners and try to find one that is safe for ABS plastic.  Same story on the heavy ballast brick.

• Like 1

you would think they would want to make it watertight...

That's what confused me.

I have a 4010 Police Rescue Boat which is about the same concept

Yeah, I guess that was the idea of 90s.  Not like more modern boats where everything comes off so no confusion :)

I have never, even as a kid, but these boats in actual water so I had no clue that it wasn't water tight. 

I was about to ask if you ever did :)  Looks like the boat I have was floating a lot. 

Thanks for your answers guys!