About 8 years late

ExoBro94

So this is really OT even for the Odds & Ends forum, but I am excited haha. Anyway, my Mom is the type of person who keeps things for a really long time, even if they are terribly out dated. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I mean, it has been a good thing, as it taught me to think of all large purchases as an investment for the long term. Helps me save money. So, just yesterday, we stepped into the HD revolution and bought a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. I know it's entirely cliche, but the fact that I can finally see wrinkles in people's faces and notice their make-up is blowing my mind. I mean I've seen HD before obviously but mostly at like places of business where I wasn't paying attention to that stuff. Before this tv, we had two Standard Deff sets, a 19 inch that was over 20 years old, and a 27 inch that I played video games on in the basement. So although the HD revolution is long gone, I'm glad to have finally encountered it. Lololololol.

• Like 2

Well, at least you guys didn't massively over pay as early adopters for HD.  It was $10,000 at one point for a 32'-55' tv haha.  I didn't pay nearly that much but lets just say my original 32" LCD tv costs me almost as much as my more recent top-of-the-line 55" Samsung LED.  Can't wait to get the new 4K technology in my house....4x's the sharpnes of 1080p, gotta wait for lower prices and more content I guess.  Tech gets cheaper with age as more improvements happens...opposite of most Lego I guess, still plastic bricks that people want :)   

Awesome!  I have a TV in my basement that my parents had when they first got married.  The TV is old than I am (32yr).  I think it is on the fringe of still working.  I'll be getting a handme down HDTV for the basement.  This just moves the 'classic' TV to the garage.  But I still get wireless U-Verse on the set!

Well, at least you guys didn't massively over pay as early adopters for HD.  It was $10,000 at one point for a 32'-55' tv haha.  I didn't pay nearly that much but lets just say my original 32" LCD tv costs me almost as much as my more recent top-of-the-line 55" Samsung LED.  Can't wait to get the new 4K technology in my house....4x's the sharpnes of 1080p, gotta wait for lower prices and more content I guess.  Tech gets cheaper with age as more improvements happens...opposite of most Lego I guess, still plastic bricks that people want  :)   

It is weird how this works and makes you feel. I bought my first one 7 years ago - screaming deal - 480i LCD 26" for $600!

2 Years ago I bought a 1080P Plasma 3D 55inch for $750

Looking into getting a 60inch LED now with smart APPs (not until they are secure though) and 3D for a grand.

Times change. lol

Throw in either the Lego The Empire Strikes Out dvd or Batman the Movie: DC Super Heroes Unite dvd and check out the textures on the capes. Like you can touch the material. Of course, sports and blu-rays are awesome too, was trying to keep it Lego specific. Congrats and enjoy Cartoon Network on the fitty!

It is weird how this works and makes you feel. I bought my first one 7 years ago - screaming deal - 480i LCD 26" for $600!

Looking into getting a 60inch LED now with smart APPs (not until they are secure though) and 3D for a grand.

Times change. lol

480i LCD?!  Yikes.  My first HD LED wasn't even 'true HD' since it was only 1080i and not 1080p.  Since this is not electronic forum I don't even want to get into different cables.  I'm a videophile.  I remember how much it costs for the first blu ray player or PS3 (content)...now it's so cheap like $30-$50 for a blu ray player.   

I've had a Smart TV for a couple yrs now, tech still needs to improve and the processor needs to be faster.  3D is pretty cool, better with active glasses.  Hard wiring/plugging your ethernet directly into your TV is still better than wifi.  Media players are good. 

I thought about getting a 70" to replace my 55" but the Lego investing/inventory this year has taken most of my cash lol.

One of my buddies still has an big old Sony Trinitron...what a beast, so heavy but still works.  If we look at a curve screen now it's weird :)   

Guest eightbrick

480i LCD?!  Yikes. 

Heck, sonny, I still remember when I was a little tot, we had to go to the theaters for the news... and even then it was in a stuffy room on a black and white projector with a resolution that makes a 180p Youtube video look like gold! xD

The way they are rolling out these things, we are going to have more obsolete TV models than broken arms in a megablock set. Just awhile ago I saw a massive LG on display at this tech mall in Japan... it cost like 5 month's pay and I think it was 100 inches!

Times change. lol

I'm the same way, bought a 55" 3D LG Plasma for $625 a couple years ago and now I refuse to accept any TV over $700 as a good deal.

I'm the same way, bought a 55" 3D LG Plasma for $625 a couple years ago and now I refuse to accept any TV over $700 as a good deal.

$625, nothing over $700...where are you guys scoring these prices? I was psyched to see the 55" LED at Target on sale from 1200 to 850. Buying a big boy for the man cave i am renovating. Advice on stores for good prices?

$625, nothing over $700...where are you guys scoring these prices? I was psyched to see the 55" LED at Target on sale from 1200 to 850. Buying a big boy for the man cave i am renovating. Advice on stores for good prices?

Keep your eye on the Slickdeals forum or over at Bensbargains.net.

Here are few recent examples:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6204140-LG-55-Class-LED-HDTV-1080p-1920-x-1080-16-9-TruMotion-120Hz-2x-HDMI-USB-Simplink-Energy-Star-55LN5400-639-99

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/99694/dell-home-office-60-lg-60pn6550-1080p-plasma-hdtv-200-dell-egift-card

http://slickdeals.net/f/6205526-60-LG-60PH6700-1080p-3D-Plasma-HDTV-849-free-shipping

So this is really OT even for the Odds & Ends forum, but I am excited haha. Anyway, my Mom is the type of person who keeps things for a really long time, even if they are terribly out dated. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I mean, it has been a good thing, as it taught me to think of all large purchases as an investment for the long term. Helps me save money. So, just yesterday, we stepped into the HD revolution and bought a 50" Panasonic plasma TV. I know it's entirely cliche, but the fact that I can finally see wrinkles in people's faces and notice their make-up is blowing my mind. I mean I've seen HD before obviously but mostly at like places of business where I wasn't paying attention to that stuff. Before this tv, we had two Standard Deff sets, a 19 inch that was over 20 years old, and a 27 inch that I played video games on in the basement. So although the HD revolution is long gone, I'm glad to have finally encountered it. Lololololol.

Congrats on the upgrade. As a fellow Plasma owner, make sure you don't get "burn in" if playing video games. Happened to me ONCE when I played Godfather for a week straight. With the TV on and a black screen up, I could totally see the image from the video game. Took me almost two weeks of using the window washer feature to get rid of it. I was so anal when we bought our TV that I downloaded and ran the break-in disc for 100 hours (with one hour breaks every 10) before we even put any content on the screen. Enjoy the clarity!