Just spent $850 (Canadian dollars) on a pretty big lot. Need some re-assurance...

Backstory: I've been a long-time lego investor. I usually buy bulk lots on Ebay/Kijiji, and then part and sell. 

I've only recently got into the hobby of investing in MISB sets for the long-term.

I just made the following purchase, based on a guy who was getting rid of his collection on Kijiji. All sets are MISB. I'm hoping I got a good deal here. I'd love some feedback.

$850 CAD gets me:

10188 - Death Star

10221 - Super Star Destroyer - UCS

2254 - Mountain Shrine

3300003 - Lego Brand Retail Store

5000063 - TC-14 (x2)

5001621 - Han Solo (x4)

Given that the first 2 sets are MISP $500 each on lego.ca, I reckon I got a good deal here. Even if the investment potential isn't there, i think I can still sneak out a small profit?

Yes, I`d do it up here. See if you could have gotten down to $750-$800 it would have been better, but overall $850 is a decent price IMO. I look at it this way, cost retail is:

$500 DS

$500 SSD

(That`s already a 15% discount for those bad boys)

Now add in:

$50 for Mountain Shrine (based on my ebay looking)

$15 x 4 for Han Solo - ~$60 give or take

$20 x 2 for TC-14 - $40

and $100 for the exclusive retail set. 

I get about $1200-$1250 for this stuff. Let`s knock off $200 ($100 each for DS and SSD just to compare to US retail) and we still get $1000-$1050. I think 20% savings for these sets is significant.  Just my $0.02 though  :thumbsup:

Guest eightbrick

Backstory: I've been a long-time lego investor. I usually buy bulk lots on Ebay/Kijiji, and then part and sell. 

I've only recently got into the hobby of investing in MISB sets for the long-term.

I just made the following purchase, based on a guy who was getting rid of his collection on Kijiji. All sets are MISB. I'm hoping I got a good deal here. I'd love some feedback.

$850 CAD gets me:

10188 - Death Star

10221 - Super Star Destroyer - UCS

2254 - Mountain Shrine

3300003 - Lego Brand Retail Store

5000063 - TC-14 (x2)

5001621 - Han Solo (x4)

Given that the first 2 sets are MISP $500 each on lego.ca, I reckon I got a good deal here. Even if the investment potential isn't there, i think I can still sneak out a small profit?

You did absolutely fine. I would say there is solid investment potential in both 10188 and 10221, it's just going to take awhile to come out. The rest of them still have room to grow, but flipping them wouldn't be a terrible idea if you need cash. Hahaha, I gave up on Kijiji awhile ago after losing out to other people on some good finds like a Green Grocer for 150 earlier this year and some of the old Ninja sets for 20 dollars each MISB. Good on you for sticking to it!

You did absolutely fine. I would say there is solid investment potential in both 10188 and 10221, it's just going to take awhile to come out. The rest of them still have room to grow, but flipping them wouldn't be a terrible idea if you need cash. Hahaha, I gave up on Kijiji awhile ago after losing out to other people on some good finds like a Green Grocer for 150 earlier this year and some of the old Ninja sets for 20 dollars each MISB. Good on you for sticking to it!

Yeah I would agree. You could flip the small ones to get some of the investment back and then wait on the others. In 4 years or so, you are gonna be swimming in like 12-15 hundred dollar bills. :)

Guest eightbrick

That's actually what I plan to do! Polybags are easy to ship, so Ebay is easy enough, and the Ninjago set is small too. That retail store set is growing on me though, so I might just keep it for now.

Ah, glad you got a plan going. I would have trouble parting from a retail store set too if I got my hands on one :D

That's actually what I plan to do! Polybags are easy to ship, so Ebay is easy enough, and the Ninjago set is small too. That retail store set is growing on me though, so I might just keep it for now.

It is a pretty nice little set. I have to just put sets like that away so I don't look at them - or they will be opened. If you don't have it yet though, no harm.