Walmart Clearance tags have the date the clearance began.

spener90

I figure this deserves it's own post.  If you look at the red clearance tag on the shelf, it shows when the clearance began.  In the case of my Walmart, it began 8/2, or last Friday.  When you guys go to your walmart next time, see if it is consistent.  Maybe they mark things down further on Fridays?

I figure this deserves it's own post.  If you look at the red clearance tag on the shelf, it shows when the clearance began.  In the case of my Walmart, it began 8/2, or last Friday.  When you guys go to your walmart next time, see if it is consistent.  Maybe they mark things down further on Fridays?

I noticed this while checking the walmarts near my home and work. Unfortunately I think Walmarts are much more on a store by store basis, where as Target almost always discounts on thursdays. Of the three stores that I have gone to, they had recently posted red clearance labels that all started on different days of the week. One store actually had clearance tags on consectutive days of the week in the same week.

On a related note, I noticed that EVERY one of the Walmarts and the Kmart I checked on pulled out and clearanced a ton of Attack of the Wargs and Mirkwood Spiders from the back. I feel foolish for the ones that I already have because there are probably going to be much better deals out there for them. I happened to be at a Walmart when they were changing the prices and I noticed another LEGO investor scouting everything out as well. Between the two of us we cleared just about everything except those two sets.

The clearances are all random days.  It really depends when the associate decides to make the label for them.  I look at the app for the prices and go a few days later.  The tag is a few days later than it's marked down.

Which app do you use that tells you the prices?

Which app do you use that tells you the prices?

Walmart's own app.  Works very well after they do inventory and higher income area with low rate of LP.  It even tell you instantly after you cleaned out their inventory or you need to go back for more when there more in the stockroom.

In my experience, Walmart doesn't do progressive clearance discounts.  Generally, what you get is what you get and summer clearance generally maxes out at 30%.  Some stores may deviate from this, but it's generally limited to just that store. 

I have never seen walmart do a phased clearance like target. I have seen them remove the entire clearance section for months...then it appears in the spring out front like a yard sale.

Exactly this is mine - except that all the walmarts in my town surprise everyone at the same time. Weird as heck.

My tags said 8/1 by the way.

I have seen some clearance shelf tags stating the date the sale starts and ends at Target and Kmart but not so much at Walmart.

In my experience, Walmart doesn't do progressive clearance discounts.  Generally, what you get is what you get and summer clearance generally maxes out at 30%.  Some stores may deviate from this, but it's generally limited to just that store.

I would agree with this. Walmart has stuck stuff in the clearance aisle and/or slapped the sticker on the box with a sale price at or close to original retail. These items will sit there for an eternity it seems at this price until somebody decides on lowering the price which can either be a slim cut or massive drop all at once.

I remember those Fire Planes were sitting in the clearance aisle for months, each with the red tag yet at full price. I was lucky to be there when they were marked down by 50% where only the week before they still were at original retail. No progressive discounts; just one very sudden price cut at the drop of a hat.