Wow, this place is addicting!

I come from a background of collecting, just a different type. From the early 80's through the mid 90's, baseball cards were my drug of choice. I loved the chase for the hot rookie card, looking for the next Mickey Mantle. Of course, growing up, Legos were also a big part of my life. Big to the point of getting for gifts what my parents could afford. Big sets were always too expensive, so I was used to building and rebuilding new space ships with my own imagination.

Forward to 30 years later, and I now have some disposable income, and still have a thing for Legos. I have found myself buying discounted sets and liking them too much to sell them. (Not a great investment theory).

So, I've found this site to be just about as addicting, and I find myself driving to Walmarts, looking for steals. Sometimes I find them, often times I just pass.

I come from a background of collecting, just a different type. From the early 80's through the mid 90's, baseball cards were my drug of choice. I loved the chase for the hot rookie card, looking for the next Mickey Mantle. Of course, growing up, Legos were also a big part of my life. Big to the point of getting for gifts what my parents could afford. Big sets were always too expensive, so I was used to building and rebuilding new space ships with my own imagination.

Forward to 30 years later, and I now have some disposable income, and still have a thing for Legos. I have found myself buying discounted sets and liking them too much to sell them. (Not a great investment theory).

So, I've found this site to be just about as addicting, and I find myself driving to Walmarts, looking for steals. Sometimes I find them, often times I just pass.

Welcome to the site! It is pretty fun for sure. I am about to do a whole Target/Walmart run again today

Guest eightbrick

Hello, my name is Brian. I am also addicted to Lego and this site, and I'm sure we can make a place for you among our brickpicker anonymous ranks. xD Welcome!

Same here this far :)  Welcome to the site!

No Hawkeyes allowed here! :declare:

Ha, just kidding.  Anyway, yeah, as many have said, your story is very common, and pretty exact to mine as well.  I got out of the card business a few years ago and funded this addiction with selling my collection.  Where at in Iowa are you?  Pretty sure we have some Iowans here already.

Welcome aboard - your story is shared by many here! I also have a hard time not opening "investments" and then "selling them later." It's almost like you have to buy 2 of everything now! Lol

Make that three of everything. 1 to build, 1 to sell, 1 to keep for collection/future investing when it hits big. Brickpicker is addicting fun...and expensive. Welcome!

coolness.  yes, we regulars do have our moments.  in fact, i sometimes hear my name shouted by many when logging into the forums (think "NORM!"  from Cheers)

oh yeah, this web site jeff and ed put together is pretty cool also.

btw, i think we passed the '52 Mantle of Lego investing.  the 2000s had the "cha ching" sets.  Batman 1, Statue of Liberty, Sail Barge, Sandcrawler, 2006 holiday train, motorized hogwarts express, taj mahal, eiffel tower, the first modular buildings, grand carousel, UCS Star Wars like the MF, planes, trains, and automobiles. i consider the 2000s (or 1950s baseball cards) as the golden age of Lego investing.

i consider the 2000s (or 1950s baseball cards) as the golden age of Lego investing.

I know this to be accurate, but it coincides almost exactly to my dark ages - time spent away from Lego. Stopped buying sets when graduated college (2001) until last year when LOTR was announced (2012). I'll never be able to make that time up!