Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

related but different - a pet peeve of mine is Ebay sellers that include best offer on their listing and then refuse to negotiate within reason. I understand if you don't want to accept 10%-20% off - I tested the waters and couldnt match your floor. I'll move on and wish you luck. But if you're not willing to knock off 5% or even 2% of your asking price, maybe you shouldn't be using that feature. Maybe there's some secret psychology game going on here, but it seems to me like you're just cluttering up the landscape.

I'm guilty of this sometimes, but have a good reason. I list with free shipping on big sets, and add a best offer. If I get an offer for 5 - 10% off, I will gladly accept it if it's shipping in a nearby zone, and I make up for it with less shipping. But I'm not going to knock off 10%, and ship it from Oregon to Florida and pay through the teeth for shipping. I'll reject reasonable offers if shipping is cross country.

Just explaining why I reject otherwise reasonable offers.

Guest TabbyBoy

If buyers make me a ridiculous offer, I just let the offer expire and state in the listing that unreasonable offers will not be considered. I rarely use eBay these days anyway as buyers are way too demanding in the UK.

"My Wife and I bought this a while back and it sat in the box brand new, finally one night we decided to build it and then sell it. So this set is brand new we built it once basically for picturing for this listing then we took it apart and its been in its box ever since."

What a load. Built it just to take pictures?  Uh... there are plenty of professional pictures of it on the internet... we all know what it looks like. Oh... and you are "keeping the box and instructions"?  Could it be that you bought it with no box or instructions?  And that's why you felt the need to build it and get photos? That is not "new". That set is "used", and anyone with 200 minifigs for sale in his store should know that.

• Like 3

What a load. Built it just to take pictures?  Uh... there are plenty of professional pictures of it on the internet... we all know what it looks like. Oh... and you are "keeping the box and instructions"?  Could it be that you bought it with no box or instructions?  And that's why you felt the need to build it and get photos? That is not "new". That set is "used", and anyone with 200 minifigs for sale in his store should know that.

Just a note, that's not my listing. I just found it while browsing ebay and facepalmed if the seller really did open it just to take a picture. I call BS because he's also selling other Lego's so he knows what he's doing with Lego. But on the otherhand good price for those that want one for display and dont' wanna cough up the $400 price.

Very dishonest IMO. Check her listings. It seems pretty much they buy LEGO sets, build them, and part them out as NEW. Pretty much same tone with all the LEGO listings, 'build them once, new condition, blah blah'... I'm surprised she's still 100% feedback though. But if they do take sets apart right away, it's true that the condition is hardly noticeable.

BTW, I think this is qualified as fruitcakes... hope a mod help us move it there. :)

Edited by cissi

Not sure how 'angry' you are toward this build-it-and-sell-it-new couple. But I just dug a little bit. Maybe if you are angry enough... here is a possible report category for you: 'listing practice -> search and browse manipulation -> other search and browse manipulation'. I'm no export of reporting so this may not be the most accurate though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Black-Pearl-4184-W-32x32-Blue-Baseplate-Free-Shipp-/201439014980?

"My Wife and I bought this a while back and it sat in the box brand new, finally one night we decided to build it and then sell it. So this set is brand new we built it once basically for picturing for this listing then we took it apart and its been in its box ever since."

tumblr_nmg9jwqZns1rvzbdgo1_r5_500.gif

This listing is garbage! I beg to differ on him knowing about LEGO. This set is 100% NOT the holy grail of LEGO. He is full o $h%t.

This listing is garbage! I beg to differ on him knowing about LEGO. This set is 100% NOT the holy grail of LEGO. He is full o $h%t.

indeed

this may be the option ↓   I don't know if there's a better one

File a report

Report item

Report Category
Select OneCopyright and trademarkListing practicesProhibited and restricted items
Reason for Report
Select OneAvoiding eBay feesBanned or inappropriate payment methodsCompilation and informational itemsDuplicate listingsFeedback solicitationFraudulent listing activitiesInappropriate item descriptionInappropriate seller termsLinks, logos, and videosNo item listings and inappropriate commentsOther listing practicesSearch and browse manipulationStolen propertyWarranties and service plans
info

Detailed Reason
Select OneKeyword spammingListing in an incorrect categoryMisleading titleMisusing a brand nameOther search and browse manipulation
info
The listing inappropriately draws attention or diverts members to a listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Black-Pearl-4184-W-32x32-Blue-Baseplate-Free-Shipp-/201439014980?

That listing got removed.  Good job, BP patrol.

tumblr_nmg9jwqZns1rvzbdgo1_r5_500.gif

IT'S THE HOLY GRAIL OF LEGO.  GO CHECK IT OUT! :-D

• Like 1

Received my first chargeback ever today--and it was a dozy. $565 for a Town Hall. 

The buyer? 0 feeback... and had just created the account that day. I guess it serves me right, although I'm not sure what a guy is supposed to do with a new buyer. I've had plenty of 0 feedback buyers work out just fine (on cheaper items).

The claim? Unauthorized charge. I uploaded my Fedex shipping information (including signature proof of delivery) to Paypal and they're doing their thing. Not sure what happens next, but wow. BS. 

I feel like an idiot. If this is sided in favor of the a$$hat who scammed me, all my money is going to Amazon FBA. 

Received my first chargeback ever today--and it was a dozy. $565 for a Town Hall. 

The buyer? 0 feeback... and had just created the account that day. I guess it serves me right, although I'm not sure what a guy is supposed to do with a new buyer. I've had plenty of 0 feedback buyers work out just fine (on cheaper items).

The claim? Unauthorized charge. I uploaded my Fedex shipping information (including signature proof of delivery) to Paypal and they're doing their thing. Not sure what happens next, but wow. BS. 

I feel like an idiot. If this is sided in favor of the a$$hat who scammed me, all my money is going to Amazon FBA. 

YIKES! Sorry to hear that! Really hope it works out for you.

OMG, very sorry for hearing that.

My guess is you'll be okay and covered by Paypal's seller protection as long as you shipped to his Paypal address. Though I think whatever eBay and Paypal regarding to seller protection is a joke, I think they should at least do this part for us. Otherwise, why should sellers stay?

• Like 1

related but different - a pet peeve of mine is Ebay sellers that include best offer on their listing and then refuse to negotiate within reason. I understand if you don't want to accept 10%-20% off - I tested the waters and couldnt match your floor. I'll move on and wish you luck. But if you're not willing to knock off 5% or even 2% of your asking price, maybe you shouldn't be using that feature. Maybe there's some secret psychology game going on here, but it seems to me like you're just cluttering up the landscape.

Many sellers will use best offer so that they can give a discount for purchasing multiple items. But will not accept any discounts for single items.

• Like 2

PayPal should cover you because of the tracking information you provided. 

Amazon FBA has plenty of buyers who pull scams too.

Edited by Jackson
  • Like 1

I had a similar issue with a GSP item a couple weeks back, call PayPal you should be covered. My item was $200 and I had it back in my account while still on the phone.

• Like 1

That is one of the oldest ebay/paypal scam.  Just call it rite of passage since you were smart enough to use signature delivery :) Paypal should cover that and hopefully ban the scammer.

• Like 1