Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Guest TabbyBoy

If you've done nothing wrong and have proof of posting/delivery, open up a chat session with eBay.  If you've not checked the item or packaged it properly, take it on the chin and learn from experience.  Just remember how demanding eBay buyers are as they have us by the pubes these days.  Even if a set has a damaged box, I describe it to be slightly worse than it actually is so that the buyer is pleasantly surprised.  If a box is badly damaged, I describe it as "unboxed" and include the flattened box in the package so they can look at the finished model and associated sets if they want.  By being honest, I've only had one neutral in over 4000 sales.

I just got a negative feedback. Buyer apparently was trying to cancel their order and figured the best way to do so was by leaving a negative feedback. Buyer has 35 feedback ratings...how do they not know how to use eBay?!

Considering the advice that gets posted by supposedly experienced eBay sellers in these forums each week ;) I'm not shocked that a 35 feedback buyer is clueless. Depending on what the feedback actually says, you might be able to get eBay to remove that one. Depending on the buyer, a nice note to them may get them to request eBay remove the feedback.

Well after a turbulent week, I turned out the be the "eBay fruitcake" today after my worst fears were confirmed :/

I had a buyer buy a couple of smaller sets on the weekend (Heartlake Pool & Police Patrol) using PayPal's eCheque system, and after a sob story from the buyer telling me that they cheque won't clear until after Christmas and her needing these sets for little Johnny and Johnnyette I went against all my instincts and posted the sets.

Surprise, Surprise today the checks didn't clear (I'm thinking cancelled by the buyer) and after sending them a friendly, and politely worded WTH email, I'm yet to hear or receive payment (not hoping for it, but would be nice).

So here I am, posting about how I was an eBay fruitcake, which is surprising since I normally have a heart of stone :)

Well after a turbulent week, I turned out the be the "eBay fruitcake" today after my worst fears were confirmed :/

I had a buyer buy a couple of smaller sets on the weekend (Heartlake Pool & Police Patrol) using PayPal's eCheque system, and after a sob story from the buyer telling me that they cheque won't clear until after Christmas and her needing these sets for little Johnny and Johnnyette I went against all my instincts and posted the sets.

Surprise, Surprise today the checks didn't clear (I'm thinking cancelled by the buyer) and after sending them a friendly, and politely worded WTH email, I'm yet to hear or receive payment (not hoping for it, but would be nice).

So here I am, posting about how I was an eBay fruitcake, which is surprising since I normally have a heart of stone :)

If the cheques won't clear til after Christmas, then why are you not waiting until after Christmas to see if they clear? ;)

If the cheques won't clear til after Christmas, then why are you not waiting until after Christmas to see if they clear? ;)

Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. The buyer's bank (funding source) rejected the check. I spoke to Paypal who advised it would of either been due to insufficient funds or at the buyers request. So no money for me, and a valuable lesson learnt lol

Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. The buyer's bank (funding source) rejected the check. I spoke to Paypal who advised it would of either been due to insufficient funds or at the buyers request. So no money for me, and a valuable lesson learnt lol[/quote

Hopefully you didn't lose a lot of money on this. I try to stand firm on stuff like that as you never know how much of their story is exactly that, a story.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Guest TabbyBoy

This is one reason why I don't leave feedback for new buyers straight away, I like to allow time for funds to clear and pass the chargeback window.  I also NEVER chase buyers for feedback as it just makes you appear rude and impatient.  A seller hounded me once for feedback so left him a neutral saying, "Item just about OK but, I was harrassed for feedback".  If you're already at 100% and have hundreds of feedbacks, don't go chasing after it.

Edited by TabbyBoy

I am rather new to selling on Ebay. I have a question. I sold a used set that my boys put together (they are extremely careful and this is their little business: putting used sets back together and selling them) and I double checked all their work. We sent off a 100% complete set that arrived on Dec 14th and today (yes on Christmas day) this person sends me a note telling me the Fire Lord character is missing the red ball that goes in his left hand. I am 100% sure it was sent in a sealed ziploc bag with the rest of the set. This ebayer has given me a very long explanation, which includes a reference to how disappointed his/her boy is not to have this important piece, etc (people who lie always turn things into a long story with people's emotions getting hurt when a short informational note would suffice). What are my options? 

• Like 1

I am rather new to selling on Ebay. I have a question. I sold a used set that my boys put together (they are extremely careful and this is their little business: putting used sets back together and selling them) and I double checked all their work. We sent off a 100% complete set that arrived on Dec 14th and today (yes on Christmas day) this person sends me a note telling me the Fire Lord character is missing the red ball that goes in his left hand. I am 100% sure it was sent in a sealed ziploc bag with the rest of the set. This ebayer has given me a very long explanation, which includes a reference to how disappointed his/her boy is not to have this important piece, etc (people who lie always turn things into a long story with people's emotions getting hurt when a short informational note would suffice). What are my options? 

Does your picture of the item show the piece in question?

I was thinking of writing something like this: Thanks for getting in touch with me. I am sorry to hear that you are missing a piece. I would check very carefully around the place where you put it together and opened the package. I and my oldest son are both absolutely sure that we packed all the pieces to this set. We double check each others work. As you can see from the auction picture the ball is in in the left hand of the Fire Lord. We do not have the ball any longer to send to you. What would you like to have happen at this point?

But I wanted to check here first.

You all have let me down.

I am sitting here on Dec 26th without a single "you ruined chrsitmas" message to cool my inbox. Selling through the holiday has been in vain!

Never fear - in about 3 months you'll get a message that somebody opened a set you sold them and it's missing a brick and you RUINED CHRISTMAS. ;)

• Like 1

I was thinking of writing something like this: Thanks for getting in touch with me. I am sorry to hear that you are missing a piece. I would check very carefully around the place where you put it together and opened the package. I and my oldest son are both absolutely sure that we packed all the pieces to this set. We double check each others work. As you can see from the auction picture the ball is in in the left hand of the Fire Lord. We do not have the ball any longer to send to you. What would you like to have happen at this point?

But I wanted to check here first.

Personally, I would send them the piece from Bricklink. Even if it was included in your package and they lost it, is it worth the potential crap fight and negative feedback to stiff them on the piece? I'm guessing that piece will cost no more than 5 bucks shipped, no?

Be careful of the low priced MSIB Fire Brigades 10197 you see popping up for $110 to $150 most are hijacked ebay accounts.  Three Firebrigades popped up this morning all from the same seller.  I also noticed Star Wars Tantive IV 10019 for $69 to $79 for a MSIB which are also from hijacked ebay accounts.  FYI.

Be careful of the low priced MSIB Fire Brigades 10197 you see popping up for $110 to $150 most are hijacked ebay accounts.  Three Firebrigades popped up this morning all from the same seller.  I also noticed Star Wars Tantive IV 10019 for $69 to $79 for a MSIB which are also from hijacked ebay accounts.  FYI.

There has been a ton of obvious scams like this popping up (for the last couple days) - lots of FB's. Different user accounts, also seem to be pushing Apple products.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. The buyer's bank (funding source) rejected the check. I spoke to Paypal who advised it would of either been due to insufficient funds or at the buyers request. So no money for me, and a valuable lesson learnt lol

I did the same thing years ago. Just take it as a lesson learned. Hold your chin up, and remember your the BETTER person in this situation. 

Keep on keepin on!