Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

what kind of traps?

The reason I had tried a 2nd time was because I had forgotten about the trap. I figured, what could it hurt to offer GSP on select items? But it turns out that as soon as you opt in on some of your listings, when any of your listings expire (whether you had them set up to use GSP or not), your listings will all be switched to GSP when you re-list, and any of your previous shipping details are deleted. So, their so called option of choosing which listings use the GSP isn't really true - since they will keep trying to turn all off your listings into using the GSP. 

The reason I had tried a 2nd time was because I had forgotten about the trap. I figured, what could it hurt to offer GSP on select items? But it turns out that as soon as you opt in on some of your listings, when any of your listings expire (whether you had them set up to use GSP or not), your listings will all be switched to GSP when you re-list, and any of your previous shipping details are deleted. So, their so called option of choosing which listings use the GSP isn't really true - since they will keep trying to turn all off your listings into using the GSP.

What's the issue..... Why would you not want to offer gsp on everything. I have gotten a few pms and I'll post once what I have replied with to a few of you.

Good evening. I like gsp for I find filling out custom forms and going to a post office and standing in line very annoying.

If you sell something via gsp you ship it to eBay. I almost know the address by heart now. It's in Kentucky. They repackage your item and ship it to the buyers address. I usually don't even know where it's going cause I don't care to look.

As for the financial end their is no benefit or disadvantage to it. It's as if you sold your item stateside.

The buyer sees the import fees etc before buying. I once sold an item to a guy in Russia that had some banned substance and was not alowed onto the country. EBay did who knows what with item, refunded buyer, and I was out nothing. With gsp once eBay receives your item you are for the most part clear of any liability unless your buyer bought say a tower bridge and you sent him a megabloks set.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you are still unclear on anything.

GSP is the only thing I use for international shipping.  So far, it's been great.  Where else can you ship a large item internationally for $10?  Yes, I just shipped a 41999 Technic: 4x4 Crawler the other day internationally for $10 shipped, insured, w/ signature confirmation.  I do get a best offer sometimes and they don't want to use GSP, but I insist they use USPS Priority Mail Express and pay the full amount, so that works too.

• Like 1

What's the issue..... Why would you not want to offer gsp on everything. I have gotten a few pms and I'll post once what I have replied with to a few of you.

Good evening. I like gsp for I find filling out custom forms and going to a post office and standing in line very annoying.

If you sell something via gsp you ship it to eBay. I almost know the address by heart now. It's in Kentucky. They repackage your item and ship it to the buyers address. I usually don't even know where it's going cause I don't care to look.

As for the financial end their is no benefit or disadvantage to it. It's as if you sold your item stateside.

The buyer sees the import fees etc before buying. I once sold an item to a guy in Russia that had some banned substance and was not alowed onto the country. EBay did who knows what with item, refunded buyer, and I was out nothing. With gsp once eBay receives your item you are for the most part clear of any liability unless your buyer bought say a tower bridge and you sent him a megabloks set.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you are still unclear on anything.

Many buyers don't like it, ebay usually charges too much for shipping, and any chance of no duties being charged is gone (apparently, without lying on the form - sometimes the locals don't look to collect it). I also offer free shipping on all domestic shipping (but charge on International) & ebay doesn't take a cut from the International shipping charges (if you offer free domestic shipping), and this does add up.

International buyers will pay more, whether it be the cost of an item or shipping costs - due to the generally higher prices overseas, they are happy to pay what we would see as a premium. Regarding pre-paying for the import charges - I couldn't see how that would't stop many buyers in their tracks. It might be similar to forcing people to pay for things using cash (instead of a credit card). It is easy to disregard the cost (in this case the duties), even if you know that you will still have to pay for it down the line (like someone who doesn't worry about buying things using a CC, until the bill comes).

Many buyers don't like it, ebay usually charges too much for shipping, and any chance of no duties being charged is gone (apparently, without lying on the form - sometimes the locals don't look to collect it). I also offer free shipping on all domestic shipping (but charge on International) & ebay doesn't take a cut from the International shipping charges (if you offer free domestic shipping), and this does add up.

International buyers will pay more, whether it be the cost of an item or shipping costs - due to the generally higher prices overseas, they are happy to pay what we would see as a premium. Regarding pre-paying for the import charges - I couldn't see how that would't stop many buyers in their tracks. It might be similar to forcing people to pay for things using cash (instead of a credit card). It is easy to disregard the cost (in this case the duties), even if you know that you will still have to pay for it down the line (like someone who doesn't worry about buying things using a CC, until the bill comes).

KShine, my exporting experience has been the same. 30% of my biz is non-US. My buyers like the ability to select their own postage method from my available selection. Additionally, I am able to offer them postage discounts unlike eBay.

I don't know what it's like for other countries, but there is no duty on toys in Canada. When you pay the GSP shipping costs, they charge you the shipping + taxes + brokerage fee.

NO DUTY ON LEGO

It's the brokerage fee that's a deal breaker for me. They've never publicly stated how it's calculated but it appears to be a % of the final cost. Also, there is no requirement to collect tax on items less than $25 and the GSP program seems to charge them anyways.

I have only bought once through the GSP program because the deal was just too good but generally with items that are shipped via GSP I look to pay about 25% less than items shipped via USPS. It's the same reason I won't buy from anyone (EBay or other) that ships via UPS to Canada as their brokerage fee is something like $55. The only time it's worth it is for very large or heavy items that USPS and Canada Post won't ship anyways.

You are expected to sell at the final bid price.

I've gotten a few bargains in the past when eBay was "down".  Sometimes, for example, web access is down but the iPhone app can still bid.

Actually I've found the contrary on two occasions, When ebay (.ca) has a recognized outage at the time your auctions close they send you a notice (usually a couple days later) giving you the option to cancel the auction & relist without penalty or feedback from the buyer - they even refund the listing fees back to you. (this was a few years ago so policy might have changed by now - I don't really use ebay anymore)

Bought a used lot auction in ebay - rather large collection. Seller didn't have PayPal set up even though losing said PayPal accepted. Listing also said wait to pay for shipping quote. I emailed seller right away and he said he'd get back to me on shipping (ignored my question about PayPal). 1 week went by and emailed again - said he was busy but gave me shipping amount. I said ok, and let me know when PayPal was set up and asked if he was going to send invoice....it's been another week (3 weeks since purchase) and still nothin...."dude, do you want my money or not!" Lol

I was looking at Target's Ebay feedback and noticed they had one feedback as a buyer. I thought that was a little odd.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=targetstores&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

It doesn't say what the item was so I got curious and clicked on the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=2nd_ebuy&_sac=1#seeAllAnchorLink

It seems to be kids clothes and bondage gear. Um, wtf are you up to Target? And can we get someone to look into this seller, lol?

• Like 2

from the looks of it 1 of 2 things possible

A. Target oversold something (surprise, surprise) and they bought it to try to fulfill an order instead of getting another negative

B.  Disgruntled employee got fired and then did it to embarass them and get lit up on a forum like this lol!

I was looking at Target's Ebay feedback and noticed they had one feedback as a buyer. I thought that was a little odd.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=targetstores&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer

It doesn't say what the item was so I got curious and clicked on the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=2nd_ebuy&_sac=1#seeAllAnchorLink

It seems to be kids clothes and bondage gear. Um, wtf are you up to Target? And can we get someone to look into this seller, lol?

Lol, how bizarre. And what a weird thing to be scrolling through this person's auctions and seeing these all mixed together. It's like..

Aw, this could be a cute choice...

"Girls Frozen Elsa&Anna Olaf Snowman Kids Top Blouse T-Shirts Clothes 2-7Y Shirts"

Ah, that looks nice for my little sweetpea too...

"NEW Frozen ANNA Elsa Princess Dress Coronation Gown Costume Girls Xmas Size 7-8"

Whoa...wtf??

"LEATHER GIMP DOG Puppy Hood Full Mask Mouth Gag Costume Party Mask ZIPPED MUZZLE"

And...

"Exotic Men's Full Body PU Leather Harness Chest O-Rings Goth *** Fancy Buckles"

• Like 6

Lol, how bizarre. And what a weird thing to be scrolling through this person's auctions and seeing these all mixed together. It's like..

Aw, this could be a cute choice...

"Girls Frozen Elsa&Anna Olaf Snowman Kids Top Blouse T-Shirts Clothes 2-7Y Shirts"

Ah, that looks nice for my little sweetpea too...

"NEW Frozen ANNA Elsa Princess Dress Coronation Gown Costume Girls Xmas Size 7-8"

Whoa...wtf??

"LEATHER GIMP DOG Puppy Hood Full Mask Mouth Gag Costume Party Mask ZIPPED MUZZLE"

And...

"Exotic Men's Full Body PU Leather Harness Chest O-Rings Goth *** Fancy Buckles"

If it doens't have "fancy" buckles it ain't s***

• Like 1

Sold two high priced sets to international buyers using the GSP in the past two days.  Neither have paid.  Frustrating to say the least. 

Is there some reason that they may not be paying?  Are they trying to get my item off ebay for a few days for some reason?

Edited by jgschmieg3

Sold two high priced sets to international buyers using the GSP in the past two days.  Neither have paid.  Frustrating to say the least. 

Is there some reason that they may not be paying?  Are they trying to get my item off ebay for a few days for some reason?

Don't do auctions. Do fixed price listings with immediate payment required. Problem solved forever. You're welcome. :)

• Like 4

I bought a used lot that arrived this morning retaped by the post office (uh oh) AND when opened the pieces are all covered by a clear liquid I at first think is water... but it smells slightly off. Find an INHALER in the box that has exploded en route, spraying everything in the box with medication.

There's a seller who's not going to have fun hearing from me today.

Don't do auctions. Do fixed price listings with immediate payment required. Problem solved forever. You're welcome. :)

It was a fixed listing.  But You're right I didn't require immediate payment.  Changed all my listings. 

Just wondering if anyone had some insight or similar instances.  I have had 3 non-paying buyers in the past two weeks when I usually have no problems at all. 

Edited by jgschmieg3

I bought a used lot that arrived this morning retaped by the post office (uh oh) AND when opened the pieces are all covered by a clear liquid I at first think is water... but it smells slightly off. Find an INHALER in the box that has exploded en route, spraying everything in the box with medication.

Wow, just when you think that you have heard everything. I would have never thought that that would happen in a million years.

You might not hear back from her (after all, you do have have her medication).

• Like 7