Mixels 2014

agp548

I finally had the need to ship a set of Series 2 Mixels to California.  The 11x15 Priority Mail envelope did the trick, with a little extra tape for good measure.  It was only $4.99 with EBay's discount rate.  Most of my shipments have been East Coast, so I never went the envelope route, until now.

• Like 3

I finally had the need to ship a set of Series 2 Mixels to California.  The 11x15 Priority Mail envelope did the trick, with a little extra tape for good measure.  It was only $4.99 with EBay's discount rate.  Most of my shipments have been East Coast, so I never went the envelope route, until now.

Ah, I love the Tyvek envelope because you can stuff so much stuff, errr Lego, in them. :)

Thanks for the tip on the flat rate envelope. I'm going to need to save as much as I can on shipping in order to turn a profit on my series 3 set. 

• 3 months later...

Series 3 has been taking a hit. I'd say average sell price eBay is $43. What protocols are you guys taking to minimize losses on this one? Other than use of the flat rate envelope. 

minimize hit!

people have cost price of less than $3 for set of 9 for series 3 :) we have been lucky that it hasn't come any lower.

note that its not a mistake. it's $3 for 9. i.e. less than $ 0.33ea. whoever bought these in retail "including myself" got their ass handed by TLG ;)

Edited by newbie77

I am aware of the low prices some stores such as Meijers offered, but prices remained at $45 while they were still in stock.  After retirement the price went up to $49, now it's dropping. I would have assumed the people who bought Series 3 for ridiculously cheap prices would have taken advantage and sold them immediately, but apparently that was not the case.  They must have saved them thinking they would have shot up in price when in fact they are possibly flooding the market.     

If they were overproduced it is still unusual that it took months for the price to go down.  Prices on eBay should have been lowered immediately while Series 3 was still being supposedly "overproduced" (law of supply and demand).  Then for the prices to go up after retirement and then go down again is unusual which leads me to believe that the people who bought cheap more than likely held onto them waiting for the prices to go up, saw prices hit $49, and then decided to sell, flooding the market.   

If they were overproduced it is still unusual that it took months for the price to go down.  Prices on eBay should have been lowered immediately while Series 3 was still being supposedly "overproduced" (law of supply and demand).  Then for the prices to go up after retirement and then go down again is unusual which leads me to believe that the people who bought cheap more than likely held onto them waiting for the prices to go up, saw prices hit $49, and then decided to sell, flooding the market.   

that's what happens to "wishful thinking" and "holding on to the bag".

if one knew enough about series 3 and the low price they were available @ shouldn't have been holding on to them.

personally got out of 1/2 at a loss and found a generous buyer who bought the other half at cost from me. not going to miss them though :D

there was a reason.  The first markdowns that happened were a long time ago and the people that got them at Meiers and all those other retailers had sold most which is when the sets went back up to $45-50.  The real blow came when LEGO clearanced them and they hit 98 cents per (about 2 months ago or so).  So now a huge 2nd wave of clearance hit after they had recovered which caused them to be where they are at now.  I know of a few people myself included that got anywhere in the range of 1000-1500 so they were not scarce.  Now factor in all the other markets and that will do it.

there was a reason.  The first markdowns that happened were a long time ago and the people that got them at Meiers and all those other retailers had sold most which is when the sets went back up to $45-50.  The real blow came when LEGO clearanced them and they hit 98 cents per (about 2 months ago or so).  So now a huge 2nd wave of clearance hit after they had recovered which caused them to be where they are at now.  I know of a few people myself included that got anywhere in the range of 1000-1500 so they were not scarce.  Now factor in all the other markets and that will do it.

you just let the cat out of the bag. now you will see the flood in amazon/ebay :) and people undercutting to get out.

did tru clearance hit $0.03 on these yet? i think they are still @ $3,98 there so there is another bunch coming .... brace one-self

Edited by newbie77

you just let the cat out of the bag. now you will see the flood in amazon/ebay :) and people undercutting to get out.

did tru clearance hit $0.03 on these yet? i think they are still @ $3,98 there so there is another bunch coming .... brace one-self

nah cats been out on that one lol, but yeah still see TRU with a bunch too

Same kinda happened with Series 4 as well.  They seemed more limited than 3 until clearance time came around and some of them made the 98 cent clearance (most of the good ones went at 2.48).

Then Wal-Marts across the country mysteriously got in multiple cases per store.  

nah cats been out on that one lol, but yeah still see TRU with a bunch too

Same kinda happened with Series 4 as well.  They seemed more limited than 3 until clearance time came around and some of them made the 98 cent clearance (most of the good ones went at 2.48).

Then Wal-Marts across the country mysteriously got in multiple cases per store.  

yup i remember that and mentioned on this site that time...  hope that prevented people from accumulating and getting stuck with overseas stock on Series 4. actually walmart in my area still has few cases of Series 4

actually, S3 got the worst brunt. it went OOS everywhere last x-mas and that's when LEGO decided to teach all re-sellers lesson by producing second wave. they may have assumed it was customer demand causing shortage not the re-seller accumulation. i am going to predict we are going to see more and more of this occurring with more sets and people/re-sellers getting stuck with decent supply. if they/us/investors/re-sellers don't/haven't accounted that in their business plan they should going forward.

haven't seen much of S5 so i am thinking it may have some potential but again with the LegoLand supply its very hard to predict.

seeing downfall of Series 2. apparently just started seeing asian supply coming in. so looks like i will be bailing out on S2 as well . haven't decided on the price yet but looks like its not going to see any appreciation here on out. (due to asian supply)

prices on series 1 still held on by the asian supply. over 100 cases still held on by single seller. not sure how many is stored in the shade but so far 300 cases sold by same seller in last 12 months or so.

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 2

yup i remember that and mentioned on this site that time...  hope that prevented people from accumulating and getting stuck with overseas stock on Series 4.

haven't seen much of S5 so i am thinking it may have some potential but again with the LegoLand supply its very hard to predict.

seeing downfall of Series 2. apparently just started seeing asian supply coming in. so looks like i will be bailing out on S2 as well . haven't decided on the price yet but looks like its not going to see any appreciation here on out. (due to asian supply)

prices on series 1 still held on by the asian supply. over 100 cases still held on by single seller. not sure how many is stored in the shade but so far 300 cases sold by same seller in last 12 months or so.

I mentioned the decline of S2 in the "what you sold" thread a few weeks back.  Someone replied it would bounce back come holiday season.

• Like 2

I mentioned the decline of S2 in the "what you sold" thread a few weeks back.  Someone replied it would bounce back come holiday season.

sorry i missed that.. most likely must be the week i had gone underground to recover some losses in lego :D

Yes this holiday season I suspect even with high supply, the Mixels series in general, even Series 3, will see some increase in prices, big or small. I'd like to see Series 3 hit the upper $40 range again within the next month, but that's probably a long shot.   

again that's wishful thinking. i hope that would be the case. but with so much supply "key here is the demand". how much demand will be there for mixels.

between:

starwar; JW; superheroes, mixels; city; friends; exclusives; creator, dimensions .... its a LEGO crowd.. 1 or 2 will definitely be winner but something has to give in. they are all competing for Timmy's $$. its going to be hard to assume that there in infinite $$ for each and every item in that theme.

although, overall LEGO might be winner but something has to give.

How does the asian supply affect the appreciation of Series 2 Mixels. Are you just saying that those particular sellers are unwilling to increase their asking prices?

How does the asian supply affect the appreciation of Series 2 Mixels. Are you just saying that those particular sellers are unwilling to increase their asking prices?

yes. one of the reason. 

based on number of cases sold my guess is because they hold such a large number in shed. they don't want high price to hinder the volume they need to move. i.e. moving 300+cases of mixels single handedly at 2XMSRP "pretty huge undertaking". that's about 900+sets. probably one of the reason why we see them not willing to raise price. and

there is not much demand for S2. their prime jewel frosticons got devalued once they came back in S5 most likely consumer shifted to half priced item than buying 2X RRP ;)

either way its not going to increase :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...