Starting to collect SW sets

boxofcorey

For whatever reason I've put off starting to collect the Star Wars theme until this point. I'm not looking for investing advice but simple if you started a SW collection from absolute zero, what sets would you start with?

Picked up Jabbas Palace and the original Sail Barge along with a Slave so I'm kind of all over the place so far.

For whatever reason I've put off starting to collect the Star Wars theme until this point. I'm not looking for investing advice but simple if you started a SW collection from absolute zero, what sets would you start with?

Picked up Jabbas Palace and the original Sail Barge along with a Slave so I'm kind of all over the place so far.

I would advise you two paths.

A) start with picking your favorite part of the movies (like Jabba place, or Hoth battle scenes, or maybe Ewok and Endor) and go from there collect a full scene for display (if you like displaying) and ofcourse pick any currently retailed sets that are 20% + off

B) pick sets you like end of the story.

I usually go with A ...

Just not in SW

In SW I only pick figures I like and display them

My first purchase and build would be R2-D2, hands down. After that I'd go for the 7965 falcon, it's a fun build too. Also check out the Sith Fury Interceptor, that might be my favorite expanded universe set. It's fun to build and pretty impressive on display, plus it comes with Darth Malgus, arguably the coolest minifig ever.

• Like 1

My first purchase and build would be R2-D2, hands down. After that I'd go for the 7965 falcon, it's a fun build too. Also check out the Sith Fury Interceptor, that might be my favorite expanded universe set. It's fun to build and pretty impressive on display, plus it comes with Darth Malgus, arguably the coolest minifig ever.

Good call on the Sith Interceptor, added a few of the smaller Sith Trooper sets along with 75002 with the mechanical version of Darth Maul.

One of my all time favorite sets has been the Clone Turbo Tank. It hasn't done as well as I thought originally [investment wise], but it is still a monster of a tank!! I'd also get a MTT, Republic Attack Gunship, and a SSD or some sort of Imperial star ship. Also, get the MF! It's a great set, though I think it is a better display piece than a play piece. 

Another great set that I like is the 7879 Hoth Echo Base set. A great number of minifigures, and the base is decent, but not great. AT-AT's are always nice, as well as Rebel Snowspeeders. :D

There are sooooo many sets, plus the retired ones can be quite pricey, so I also suggest picking 1 or 2 "scenes" or specifics to start off - unless you have an unlimited budget! Also - are you collecting to build and display or for investment? If its the former, you can find cheaper prices on used sets on eBay and bricklink. Sometkmes even cheaper of incomplete and then you can ship for the missing parts - part of the fun! Good luck!