LEGO and kids

Ronda

Think I didn't see any similar topic, just posts here and there. 

Seems like many people came back to LEGO when they became parents.  I understand many teens are interested in LEGO as an investment, so it's not about that :)  I'm curious what do your kids (friends, relatives) PLAY with or assemble and proudly display mostly?  How early they started showing interest in LEGO, what is their favorite theme and how it became favorite among all of themes?

Let me put it down as a little questionnaire:

1. male or female;

2. age;

3. theme or themes (or a set);

4. why?

5. you feel it's gonna be a long-lasting-love or just a short term interest in LEGO?

Great topic, and yep I got back into lego after I became a parent. I've got two boys and we started them young at one and a half years old with a garage sale find. They like the city sets, especially trucks. Can't get enough trucks it seems (police, fire, garbage, dump truck).

• Like 1

:D First TFOL to reply!

1. Male (ahem, not boy!)

2. 14

3. Lord of the Rings.

4. I caught onto LoTR right after watching the Hobbit, and all three LoTR movies in 2 days. Lots was packing into that, but I watched them all 3 times after that though. Sames goes for SW. I was interested in Castle before SW, so after I watched the movies, I started playing and building the sets! I sort of don't think that that strategy works for all themes, though.

5. Long lasting! It's hard to spend 6 months on a LEGO forum and get bored of it! As long as I have money in my sets, I will stay interested...trust me! 

To answer your first few questions, I first started out with the accursed DUPLO very young, and often played with my cousins and friends. Then I moved onto LEGO's when I was 7 [that was when I received my first set, but I obviously played with LEGO before that!]. First came a theme called Jack Stone, which is aimed at ages 6-10. I stuck with that for about 2 years. After that came Knights Kingdom, for 2 years. Then SW...then LOTR!

I personally build, then put on my shelf. It's sort of running out of room, so I have to improv and stick some builds closer together than I would have wished.

I started investing in late-December/early-January after the USA Today BrickPicker article. Prior to that, I had been combing eBay for hours and hours looking for deals, especially keen to find a used Clone Turbo Tank. Never did, but I moved on! That period, which lasted about 5 months, basically was my stepping stone into LEGO investing. It really helped because I knew at least a bit about LEGO and vaguely what a good deal was.

Hope this helped!!

• Like 1

Seems like many people came back to LEGO when they became parents.  I understand many teens are interested in LEGO as an investment, so it's not about that :)  I'm curious what do your kids (friends, relatives) PLAY with or assemble and proudly display mostly?  How early they started showing interest in LEGO, what is their favorite theme and how it became favorite among all of themes?

1. a boy or a girl;

2. age;

4. why?

5. you feel it's gonna be a long-lasting-love or just a short term interest in LEGO?

I don't have kids but for me:

1. Male

2. 26

3. Star Wars, LOTR, anything that looks sweet

.4 I never had Legos as a child - I got in because I love Star Wars

5. Probably long because its been pretty bad so far LOL

• Like 1

Guest betsy805

My two boys started at 2 1/2 and 4 with a small building set #5932.  That was good for about a year when they really started to get obsessed.  So then they got a couple new sets (city theme, trucks, planes).  Then I noticed that while they LOVED lego (currently play with it 3-4 hours a day), the sets never stayed together for more than a day because they thought they could build it better another way.  I stopped buying new lego at that point and just got them a whole bunch of bulk stuff. They build a variety of cars, trucks, planes, jails, and machines. 

1) two boys

2) 5 1/2 and almost 4

3) free play with emphasis on things that go

4) ?

5) I'm certain we're in this for the long haul, although I expect that they'll start wanting sets and minifigures at some point

1. a boy or a girl;

2. age;

4. why?

1. Boy

2. 7

3. Mostly LotR at this point - it will change in a month, as it was Harry Potter earlier this year

4. He likes the movies

5. I think he will be like me and play with Lego until he gets serious with sports, women, and cars.  Who knows though.

• Like 1

1. a boy or a girl;

2. age;

4. why?

I have two kids and they got me back into Legos for real, but I never really stopped collecting and my wife and I have built/collected since we met 15 years ago, so it was not a total rebirth.  As for the kids:

My 6-year old boy is deep into Ninjago and builds to play with those sets.  He also enjoys City sets, especially the vehicles.  Minifigures are also a hit with him.

My girl turns 4 next week and has been playing with regular legos for about two years already.  She plays with her brother's Ninjago stuff, but is more into Friends at this point.  She likes the colors and the more doll-like figures.  She is also a MOCer, although her creations generally need some explanation at this point.

Kids are kids, so it is hard to say if they will continue to love Legos, but I know that their parents will be fans, so it will be hard for them to totally give them up.

• Like 1

I'm a teen so I'll just fill in the blanks as myself.

1. Male

2. 15

3. If I had to pick only one theme, I would pick Star Wars. I also like City and Castle sets especially when I was younger.

4. Well my first Star Wars set was a Jabba's Sail Barge back in 2007 and I built it. It is still one of my favorite sets I own. I've been into Star Wars since I was 7 and I watched all of the episodes a couple times over by the time I was 9.

5. Long lasting. I've been building LEGO related items since I was 2 or 3 with DUPLO at my neighbor's house. I haven't stopped collecting/playing with LEGO since. I'm more of a collector/investor now. My first ever sets I bought myself were Knight's Kingdom sets followed by Exo-Force and some City sets around 2005. Then I moved into Star Wars/Castle sets. I started investing about 6-7 months ago and I spend some of my money on various sets that I can afford/I think will do well down the road.

• Like 1

1. a boy or a girl;

2. age;

4. why?

2 Girls

1 & 3 next month

ANY Lego - just bricks and minifigures

I can't see any option for them - they're gonna love it because I do ;)

My littlest just loves to take minifigures to pieces but my older one loves to build and create already - she has also followed instructions (with some help) on two occasions to make small cars.

• Like 1

1. a boy or a girl;

2. age;

4. why?

Well, I don't have any kids although I would like to have a daughter of my own some day if that ever happens. Don't know why, I just rather have a girl over a boy for some reason. Anyway, here I go.

1. Male

2. Almost thirty

3. I really can't pick just one theme. I may lean towards Space in general especially years ago but now my tastes are rather divesified.

4. I like everything for numerous reasons and can see endless potential in all of them, truthfully. I'm not picky.

5. I'm such a devoted fan that I'll die with a Lego brick in my hand! :lol:

• Like 1

I don't see "edit" button for the 1st post to change it for "male/female" :(

2 Girls

1 & 3 next month

Mine is a little older then your youngest.  I'm still afraid to let her get around LEGOs, 'cause she puts everything into her mouth...

Well, I don't have any kids although I would like to have a daughter of my own some day if that ever happens. Don't know why, I just rather have a girl over a boy for some reason. Anyway, here I go.

Funny enough I wanted a boy so we would play LEGO (not Friends), toy soldiers, cars etc together (yes, I like those and always hated dolls) .  So far so good, small anymals and cars are her favourites.

About myself:

1. female,

2. mid 30s

3. Creator (houses), castle, city, may be POTC (ships).

4.  I guess I'm still trying to get comfortable with all current themes.  I'm just now getting into LEGO after a looong time I "forgot" about it.  Shame, I know :))  For some reason I don't really get the playability of movie-based themes, I just see them as great displays...  Well, guess my kid will have to pick among those and show me how :)

5. So far so good, I intend to buy what I like when I see a good deal, later on my kid will decide. 

• Like 1

1. Gender: Boy

2. Age: Almost 3

3. theme or themes (or a set): Plays with lots of Duplos and loves the trains and animals. I resell a lot (mostly used) so my son gets to see lots of things new and used come through our house. He loves Star Wars and Superheroes stuff right now but little legos are still a bit more than he can handle completely. He loves all the star wars and Superhero figures that I've collected along the way to keep for myself. I have a couple bins of mini figures and mini figure parts that are just an assortment of "stuff" that he loves to dig in and switch out legs, heads and hats. I think he will continue to enjoy both Star Wars & Superheros stuff including legos as there will be plenty of new movies released in the next 5 years that will support that enthusiasm. 

4. why?: I introduced my son to Star Wars early letting him watch a few parts of the original trilogy and he's obsessed with the characters. He gets as excited seeing C3P0, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker on something as he does with Mickey.

5. you feel it's gonna be a long-lasting-love or just a short term interest in LEGO?: Since I've been obsessed with Lego since I was 5 or younger and didn't really ever have much of a gap between when I stopped playing/buying legos as a teen to when I started making money with them as an adult I think my son's love for legos will continue long into the future because of the quality of the toy and the fact that it's something we will continue to love together.

• Like 1

I don't see "edit" button for the 1st post to change it for "male/female" :(

I edited the main post for you. There is a general time limit of 30 minutes for any and all posts now.

Funny enough I wanted a boy so we would play LEGO (not Friends), toy soldiers, cars etc together (yes, I like those and always hated dolls) .  So far so good, small anymals and cars are her favourites.

I guess it does seem wierd for me as a guy to want a daughter over a son but that's just me (I am wierd :P). I would try to encourage activities like baseball and remote control cars and the like but I wouldn't have any problems doing 'girly' stuff if that was her thing.

Anyway, I think the houses are the best builds in the Creator line, and Castle and City are great. There was this one Creator set that was pretty awesome with a big dragon as the main build!

6751 Fiery Legend

6751-1.jpg

I introduced my son to Star Wars early letting him watch a few parts of the original trilogy and he's obsessed with the characters. He gets as excited seeing C3P0, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker on something as he does with Mickey.

And what about Superheros?  Did you guys read or watch some parts of the movies as well?

I edited the main post for you. There is a general time limit of 30 minutes for any and all posts now.

Thank you! 

I guess it does seem wierd for me as a guy to want a daughter over a son but that's just me (I am wierd :P).

Not really, many guys want daughters :)

That's one cool dragon on that picture! 

1. Male

2. 33

3. Star Wars, modular, lord of the rings/hobbit, cmfs, and anything that looks awesome, and lots of city stuff

4. I had lego as a kid, but of course went into a dark age, got back into it a couple years ago. Also I used to smoke a lot of weed and recently quit and lego has helped me keep my mind off of it by building and collecting and having other things to think about other than drugs. Only downside is now im addicted to lego lol but hey its better to be on lego than on drugs.

5. Definitely gonna be a long lasting thing. lego runs through my mind all day long

4. I had lego as a kid, but of course went into a dark age, got back into it a couple years ago. Also I used to smoke a lot of weed and recently quit and lego has helped me keep my mind off of it by building and collecting and having other things to think about other than drugs. Only downside is now im addicted to lego lol but hey its better to be on lego than on drugs.

5. Definitely gonna be a long lasting thing. lego runs through my mind all day long

That's better addiction for sure :)