Out of the dark ages and into parenthood...

Hi.

It seems like forever ago I was a child playing with LEGO and some 20 years later, I've finally come full circle back, probably due in some small (read: LARGE) part to us expecting our first child in early 2014. Well, it was either finding my old LEGO sets in my parents basement after all these years or deciding that I wanted to prematurely buy toys "for our kid".

Either way, have been creeping the site for about a month and finally decided to make my presence know... although I love the dedication most show here, my LEGO investing thus far has been purely to maintain my hobby and to provide me with all the new (and old) sets that I've missed over the past decade. I also cannot help but display the sets I procure: Arkham, Haunted House, etc.

Another reason this site is a great resource to me is that my wife runs a children's resale store that has a constant inflow of used LEGO that I greedily take home before it ever reaches the shelves and I'm in dire need of helping top identify what random sets I have acquired. As most of the parents who sell (and for much cheaper than I'd like to share  :shocked: ) have had them for a few years, some of the sets are obviously impossible to find. Just for reference the last batch was ~20lbs of loose bricks, 20 or so Pirate styled minifigs, NBA minifigs and from what I can determine the Durmstrang ship, original Quidditch set, Sorting Hat and one of the early Hogwarts from the HP catalog along with a bunch of SW sets that I've yet to determine.

Hope there's a place here for a reseller who does so purely to fund his growing hobby!

Yes! Parenthood is a great time to realise what life is really all about - play. My 1 and 2 year love olds love Lego (both girls too) - it's been a  great disguise for me realising my love of Lego again.

I just wrote a blog about the dark ages, you should check it out - my blog is on this site and is called 'Scissorino's Brick House'

Welcome...

I came out of the Dark Ages after some 30 years, only to go back into them for another two years after the birth of my son Max.  It was after the second Dark Ages that my brother Jeff and I saw the explosion in value of the sets I bought two years previous.  The growth we saw after two years away from LEGO collecting was the impetus to start this site...

Welcome...

I came out of the Dark Ages after some 30 years, only to go back into them for another two years after the birth of my son Max.  It was after the second Dark Ages that my brother Jeff and I saw the explosion in value of the sets I bought two years previous.  The growth we saw after two years away from LEGO collecting was the impetus to start this site...

3540 sets later...

Unfortunately my love of Legos just started about a year ago. I was not really allowed toys as a child. I had some power rangers and that was it. i was forced to play sports.

Now my childhood is beginning! (No children so I can have another childhood)

Yes! Parenthood is a great time to realise what life is really all about - play. My 1 and 2 year love olds love Lego (both girls too) - it's been a  great disguise for me realising my love of Lego again.

I just wrote a blog about the dark ages, you should check it out - my blog is on this site and is called 'Scissorino's Brick House'

That's a load off my mind! I've been growing more nervious that if we find out we're having a girl, I'd have to find a new way to justify my office full of bricks.

That's a load off my mind! I've been growing more nervious that if we find out we're having a girl, I'd have to find a new way to justify my office full of bricks.

Glad to help! My girls don't even care for Friends (we're not preconditioning them to think pink).

3540 sets later...

Unfortunately my love of Legos just started about a year ago. I was not really allowed toys as a child. I had some power rangers and that was it. i was forced to play sports.

Now my childhood is beginning! (No children so I can have another childhood)

It's A LOT more than 3540 sets.  I haven't updated in months.  LOL

That's a load off my mind! I've been growing more nervious that if we find out we're having a girl, I'd have to find a new way to justify my office full of bricks

I have 3 girls, all 5 and under.  They like the Friends Lego for sure, but have found interest in monster Fighters already and love helping me build the larger sets like Star Wars UCS sets.

My story is similar to Ed's.  Came out of my dark ages for a few years and then quit again as the arrival of kids and the time pressure that brought made me stop collecting.  Now I've started up again and the investing side is helping me fund my own collecting as well as a bit extra to pay for a few bags of nappies :D

I've got a 3 year old girl, she loves lego. I tend to build airplanes and we fly them around the house together until she inevitably crashes and then tells me to fix it while pulling the hat and goggles off the pilot repeatedly. I have also been attempting to turn sorting into a game for her. She gets to learn about colors and shapes and will usually help for a half an hour or so.

It seems like forever ago I was a child playing with LEGO and some 20 years later, I've finally come full circle back, probably due in some small (read: LARGE) part to us expecting our first child in early 2014. Well, it was either finding my old LEGO sets in my parents basement after all these years or deciding that I wanted to prematurely buy toys "for our kid".

Thats exactly what I'm writing right now.  Nice to meet someone with the same thoughts :))

Welcome!

Just like you boxofcorey (and nearly everyone else it seems lol) my need to start stockpiling for my future son was what got me "back" into Lego just last December. You sure have a good set up with your wife, I hope you come across some really rare sets.

Welcome! You have a really cool "in" with the shop. You'll basically be able to have a steady influx of pieces coming in to you with very little effort. Cool indeed. Congratulations on your first child! The "early" years are not something I'd want to do again (diapers, feeding, crying, etc) but it's a good learning process. Good luck!

Since you have a supply of bulk Lego from your wife's shop, you might want to research selling bulk lots on ebay. Sorting through 20+ lbs of Lego is a daunting task, especially when you're trying to identify complete sets in the 2-3 hours you'll have to yourself each night. People will buy anything listed as Star Wars Bulk, as long as you price it right. From your hint about what you pay for it, you should be able to throw it in a box, list it, and profit.

Since you have a supply of bulk Lego from your wife's shop, you might want to research selling bulk lots on ebay. Sorting through 20+ lbs of Lego is a daunting task, especially when you're trying to identify complete sets in the 2-3 hours you'll have to yourself each night. People will buy anything listed as Star Wars Bulk, as long as you price it right. From your hint about what you pay for it, you should be able to throw it in a box, list it, and profit.

I need to research eBay in general first, I find selling on it to be a very daunting task to start. Plus my OCD lite makes it so I NEED to go through those bricks and organize them... plus take out all the stuff I want. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.