Greetings from the Jersey Shore! Rookie needing some guidance!

Hello everyone!

I just discovered BrickPicker today while browsing the internet, as I was looking to restart a hobby that I loved as a kid: Buying and selling Legos. I am 16 and used to make some solid cash on eBay selling my "old" Lego sets during my pre-teen years (they weren't old, they were mostly newer from 06 and 07...but I had just started to climb out of my "Dark Ages" at that time, so calling them that was my only way of moving on!) I mostly loved Star Wars, and had a large collection of some of today's highest valued SW sets, but sold them without knowing what their value would be right now (I still made a solid profit on them, though :) ) I have some of my most fun and fondest memories "running my own Lego business" back then.

Since then, I have stopped my selling frenzy on eBay, and high school and sports have all but replaced Legos in my life. Recently I have started thinking about making money again, and eBay seemed like the perfect method, considering I still had some large sets left that I never got around to selling (I cannot believe the current value on some of them!!). Now, I found this website, and my eyes have been opened to a whole new realm of Lego Investing. I cannot wait to get started!!

Since I was always used to selling sets that I had enjoyed building and playing with (not so much calculated investing)... the tricks of the trade regarding what sets to buy and not buy, how many of them, when to sell, and how to read the potential value of a certain set over another, among others is all quite new to me.

I would greatly appreciate if I could have some guidance on getting started on the right path to success, some of the necessary knowledge that is needed to excel in Lego Investing!! and making bank $$$ !!

Thank you so much! :D

EB

Welcome to Brickpicker.  Ed and I live in NJ as well so maybe will wil cross paths one day.  Seriously, what you need to do is just spend some time and look all over the site.  We now have hundreds of blog articles helping to point the way to good deal and things to avoid.  There is a ton of information here for you. Later if you have specific questions, then we can help you out there.  Enjoy the site.

Welcome. I'm almost fearing asking what you sold back then...anyway you said you made a profit so I guess it's all relative. Anyway, you will find this site to be a valuable resource nonetheless. I'd look up some of the sets you had before and gauge how much they appreciated, maybe use that knowledge to make good decisions on themes/sets that are available now.

• Like 1

Guest idunno101

Welcome to the site. 

Like Jeff said, just browse around the site as there are many places on Brickpicker to get information. Read investing tips in the forums and blogs and you should get to know the whole deal of Lego investing pretty quickly. If you ever have problems just post them on the forum. Everyone on Brickpicker is here to help.  :D

Welcome to BrickPicker, fellow TFOL (Teen Fan of LEGO)! I'm 14, and several other members, but I'll let them introduce themselves to you. :D Hope to see you around!

I am a TFOL as well. (I'm 15.) Welcome to the site!

Here is a blog post about how to get top dollar out of used LEGO sets on eBay.

Link: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-280-analysis-of-how-to-get-top-dollar-for-your-used-lego-sets-on-ebay/

Welcome back to Lego! I chuckle a bit when young guys like yourself say you're "getting back into Lego". I was gone for more years than you are old! When I bought and played with lego as a kid, it was classic castle, town, and space! Lol. I think the licensed products - primarily Star Wars were responsibly for pulling so many of us back to Lego.

Thank you everyone for all of your kind and helpful replies! I have already learned so much from just one day on the site! Just made my first official Lego purchase for investment purposes only (not for building :( )...a new, unopened The Battle of Endor 8038 for just $112.50 !! It amazes me how much potential is in this market!

Thank you everyone for all of your kind and helpful replies! I have already learned so much from just one day on the site! Just made my first official Lego purchase for investment purposes only (not for building :( )...a new, unopened The Battle of Endor 8038 for just $112.50 !! It amazes me how much potential is in this market!

that's a good first set to invest in. with the ewok village coming soon, people will want that set as a compliment to it. you also got it at a good price. that's a small markup for a set that has been retired for a couple of years now. I have been sitting on four of them, and am patiently awaiting the release of ewok village to unleash them upon the world. welcome to the site.